Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
What are the options today for X10SDV-4C-TLN2F, I'm struggling to find something that will work well. The Silent 5 still seems like its the best option ?

I need a SFF solution..
The OEM active heatsink works. SNK-C0057A4L

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Anyone have ideas for improving the cooling/noise situation in a 1U chassis (CSE-505-203B)? I have the air shroud installed. Noctuas don't cool enough to keep it from throttling under moderate load, and the stock fans are screamers.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
Anyone have ideas for improving the cooling/noise situation in a 1U chassis (CSE-505-203B)? I have the air shroud installed. Noctuas don't cool enough to keep it from throttling under moderate load, and the stock fans are screamers.
Noctuas don't provide sufficient static pressure. Try FAN-0100L4.

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
People seem to use the 60mm ones instead.
Not for the active heatsink for 1U case. Simply not fitting.
The Noctua 60mm fits the passive heatsink (was discussed several times in this thread) for 2U.
Made both variants for myself, you can see the difference at those pictures:
Gelid 5_Klein.jpgNoctua_on_C3958._Klein.jpg

Last edited:

Ignat

Aug 12, 2023
Yeah I have the little SM 4 bay nas units, I will try the Noctua 60mm and see how it goes.

nexox

May 3, 2023
I don't have one of these systems, but I have experimented with adding larger fans to low profile heatsinks, and blowing air down on top tends not to be the most effective, what you want is a fan duct that forces air down most of the length of the fins, plus a fan with decent static pressure.

If anyone has a 3D printer and some basic measuring tools I could probably whip up a duct model to try out.

seb101

Jun 9, 2020
I've just encountered this after upgrading a C2750 based board to the D-1521 based board. I am somewhat limited by having it in a 1U case, I had 2x 40mm Noctuas on the rear of the case which was more than adequate for the C2750 but not even close for the D-1521, it overheats and shuts down even with moderate loads.

I've managed an interim solution with 3x 40mm screamer fans on the rear of the case, this keeps it under 70 degrees at full loads but it is crazy noisy. Thankfully the SuperMicro fan controller does a good job of throttling these down when at idle, but still noiser than I would like.

I plan to 3D print an air-guide/fan-mount to mount the 2x 40mm Noctua fans directly behind the motherboard, sucking air over the CPU cooler directly, but I'm not convinced even this will be enough. So I might be stuck with the screamers.

nexox

May 3, 2023
There are 40mm fans between the Noctua and the screamers, for example Arctic makes a 28mm deep fan that only spins up to 6k RPM, but if you're willing to design and print something you may want to look at a blower instead. The Dell 03WY43 blower (from an all in one machine of some kind) can be had for under $4, and runs pretty quietly even at full speed, and has a standard 4 pin wire. The only tricky part is it has intakes on both sides and gets much louder and less effective if you cover one intake, but it's narrow enough to work in a 1U still if you get it mounted right.

Reactions: seb101

seb101

Jun 9, 2020
There are 40mm fans between the Noctua and the screamers, for example Arctic makes a 28mm deep fan that only spins up to 6k RPM, but if you're willing to design and print something you may want to look at a blower instead. The Dell 03WY43 blower (from an all in one machine of some kind) can be had for under $4, and runs pretty quietly even at full speed, and has a standard 4 pin wire. The only tricky part is it has intakes on both sides and gets much louder and less effective if you cover one intake, but it's narrow enough to work in a 1U still if you get it mounted right.
Yeah thats a fair point. I am only going this route as I already have the Noctua fans and 3D printing something only takes a bit of my time. If that doesn't work I'll have a look at the blowers.

Reactions: nexox