Supermicro X9SCM-F Powers Off Every 5 Minutes

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Zack Hehmann

Feb 6, 2016
Hello all,

I'm having issues with getting my setup working.

MOBO - Supermicro X9SCM-F REV 1.11A BIOS 2.0A IPMI Firmware 1.27
Ram - (2) kvr1333d3e9sk2/8g kits 16GB total (4X 4GB Sticks)
CPU - i3-2100T
PSU - Corsair HX750 or PC Power and Cooling PPCMK3S400

I can not get the system to stay powered on. I have found that the longest it will stay powered on is 5 minutes no matter what it's doing (Memtest from IPMI virtual CD, BIOS screen, UEFI Shell, or Windows).

I have removed all the RAM but 1 stick and tried testing each one individually, but since it keeps powering off before a test can be completed, it's hard to figure out what going on. There aren't any errors during the Memtest. It will turn off at exactly 5 minutes every time.

I have also tried turning it on when all the RAM is removed to see if I could get it it to produce any beep codes. I have checked the buzzer jumpers and they are correct. I even removed it and installed an external buzzer. Still no dice.

It is currently pulled out of the case to see if it would make a difference.

I have also checked the CPU temps through IPMI while running a Memtest. The CPU temp says Low and the the System temp is 34C.

Zack Hehmann

Feb 6, 2016
I pulled the CPU to check for bent pins. Everything looked fine.

I'm starting to wonder if its related to the Watchdog jumpers. I don't know why it keeps thinking the system is hung though.

From Supermicro Manual

Watch Dog Enable
Watch Dog (JWD) is a system monitor
that can reboot the system when a
software application hangs. Close Pins
1-2 to reset the system if an application hangs.
Close Pins 2-3 to generate a non-maskable
interrupt signal for the application that hangs.
See the table on the right for jumper settings.
Watch Dog must also be enabled in the BIOS.

Watch Dog

Jumper Settings
Jumper Setting Definition
Pins 1-2 Reset (default) - I currently have this set
Pins 2-3 NMI
Open Disabled

JustinH

Jan 21, 2015
Singapore
If it's exactly 5 mins every time, it does sound watchdog'ish behavior.
Intel boards have something along the lines of "resilient boot protection" (name is probably wrong - I'm going from memory here) where it will reset if the OS doesn't boot within a period of time. Maybe something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zack Hehmann

Feb 6, 2016
It ended up being the watchdog jumper that caused it. After removing the jumper it stayed on. I still had watchdog still turned on in the BIOS. I wonder what made the board thing it was hung up and needed to be rebooted?

I still don't know why I can't get it to beep with all the memory removed... Thoughts?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
It ended up being the watchdog jumper that caused it. After removing the jumper it stayed on. I still had watchdog still turned on in the BIOS. I wonder what made the board thing it was hung up and needed to be rebooted?
There are 2 independent parts to the watchdog:
  • A hardware timer that counts down to zero and then resets the system
  • A software program that runs at a scheduled interval and resets the watchdog timer
You had the first, but not the second. The BIOS "should" know to reset the watchdog timer if you're in a BIOS menu or similar. If you're in an option ROM (for example, disk controller setup menu) or in an operating system (like DOS) that doesn't know it has to reset the watchdog timer, you'll get reset.

This doesn't explain the power-off issue, though - the goal of the watchdog is to reset / reboot the system if the watchdog decides the system is hung. Powering off defeats that purpose.

Reactions: vdmann