Supermicro X9DRi-F, no beeps, no POST

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

java

Jan 28, 2013
Europe
Hello,

I have the following hardware :
1. Supermicro motherboard : X9DRi-F
2. CPU : Intel Xeon E5 2670 (QB7A C0 Stepping)
3. RAM : Kingston Technology ValueRAM 64 GB Kit of 4 (4x16 GB Modules) 1600MHz DDR3 (PC3-12800) ECC Reg CL11 DIMM DR x4 Server Memory KVR16R11D4K4/64

I power on the system, the heartbeat led from motherboard is blinking, CPU and power fans are spinning, but I don't hear any beeps, no VGA output, no POST. I can connect through IPMI into motherboard. Tried to boot the system without RAM, the same problem, tired to reset bios, and tired a lot of other tricks nothing helps. Can somebody help me ? Why the system doesn't boot ? Can this be an issue with the CPU because it is a QB7A C0 Stepping ? (the seller from ebay who sold it to me, said that the CPU will work with any dual-cpu motherboard)

Thank you

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Likely due to using an ES CPU. May be able to get a BIOS version with that string in it.

java

Jan 28, 2013
Europe
Patrick, thank you for the fast reply. I'm thinking about this too. The problem is I can't find (even for a while) a standard CPU which will allow me to start up the system in order to upgrade the bios. I will wait a day or so, maybe I'll figure out a solution, if not I will initiate the RMA for refund.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
How much did you pay for the chips? Pricing great. Compatibility not so much.

java

Jan 28, 2013
Europe
about $600, I tried to save some money, but got huge problems :) Anyway maybe the motherboard is broken, I'm not sure, still investigating

java

Jan 28, 2013
Europe
So far, replaced the CPU with a standard one E5 2670, absolutely no change ! No beeps, the heartbeat led is blinking, fans are spinning. I suppose the motherboard is broken :-( Could someone give some suggestions ?

java

Jan 28, 2013
Europe
The IPMI works as well as in the first time. I can connect into motherboard through IPMI, the values of all sensors are "N/A", I can power on the motherboard through management UI (but can't power down), everything else is dead.

java

Jan 28, 2013
Europe
Hey guys ! Finally solved the issue !!! The PSU was the root of all evil :) I tried to use Thermaltake 1Kw power supply
for some reason it doesn't give the needed amperage or something like this, I'm not exactly sure why, the technician who helped me out said that my PSU satisfies all the needed parameters, but he also doesn't know exactly why the motherboard doesn't work. The motherboard booted up from the first time without a glitch after we installed it into a 1U supermicro chassis with its standard PSU. For my further usage I bought this chassis http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/?chs=745 Arrived at home I installed the MOB and pressed power on button, worked like a charm ! But after some time the MOB started to give long beeps (the manual says that this means "overheating"). I found out that IPMI can't read the CPU temperature. After a minute of googling I read a post on a forum where a guy told that this could be because of some misconfiguration of IMPI. This issues can be solved booting the system into freedos, and then running "ipmicfg.exe -fd" (this utility can be downloaded from supermicro.com) executing this we reset the IPMI to factory settings. I did all this - worked ! I installed CentOS and a lot of other services (tomcat, postgresql...) the system is on high load, but everything is stable, the CPU temperature is oscillating between 50 - 60C.
I think that that first CPU (C0 Stepping) would work too, but it is too late I already RMA it.

Here is also a photo of CPU params showed in bios :
http://s7.postimage.org/v5fxr37q3/bios_cpu_info.jpg

In the end this was an amazing experience !

Last edited:
Reactions: Sergei

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ha! That makes sense. The IPMI tools work really well. Glad to hear you resolved this.

renderfarmer

Feb 22, 2013
New Jersey
Hi, is your X9DRi-F with E5-2670 ES chips still working fine? Can you please check what the max turbo boost speed is with all cores maxed out? The retail version is supposed to be 3.0GHz an dI'm curious how the C0 stepping compares. Thanks.

java

Jan 28, 2013
Europe
hi renderfarmer, sorry I already RMA the C0 stepping xeon. This was my fault I better keep the C0 it would perform like C2, with no major differences.

java

Jan 28, 2013
Europe
TheBay, yeah, but this is very strange, the PSUs respects all the needed specs :( When I'll have some more time I'll investigate this issue in more depth.

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
You wouldn't be the first to have this happen, I've seen it before it's quite bizarre though.