Supermicro X10SLH-LN6T limiting CPU functionality

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Offspring

Feb 7, 2021
Hi all, I just picked up a X10SLH-LN6T and installed an E3-1270v3 in there. After much trial and tribulation, I finally got the thing booting up properly however I'm running into an issue that it seems like others have had, but I haven't found any obvious answer to. The problems are two-fold:

1) I can't get PCI passthrough to work, as the error I'm getting is that the CPU doesn't support the functionality, even though VT-d is enabled in the BIOS.
2) The CPU is being limited to 1 core/2 threads, and not the 4 cores/8 threads that should be enabled.

I'm guessing both of these things are related, and it's probably due to a jumper but I can't for the life of me figure out what needs to be done to rectify this. Can anyone help a lost soul out?

Thanks in advance.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
After much trial and tribulation
oh boy...

2) The CPU is being limited to 1 core/2 threads, and not the 4 cores/8 threads that should be enabled.
Check cpu socket for bent pins
Check cpu physical damage - missing resistors
Run system without mobo battery - unplug system, ensure its running on default settings.
Check the cpu in bios, it should tell you all the info like feature sets it supports, and cores.

There are no jumpers for this relation

Offspring

Feb 7, 2021
oh boy...
The motherboard was constantly rebooting and never getting past the UEFI screen if I was lucky. I had to move two of the jumpers to try and get the thing to properly boot, and after that it seems the company that sold me the system both changed the default IPMI username/password and they also set the IPMI IP to a static one of 172.x.x.x/255.255.0.0 which I wasn't able to see or access until I had fixed the jumper issue for the motherboard.

Offspring

Feb 7, 2021
oh boy...

Check cpu socket for bent pins
Check cpu physical damage - missing resistors
Run system without mobo battery - unplug system, ensure its running on default settings.
Check the cpu in bios, it should tell you all the info like feature sets it supports, and cores.

There are no jumpers for this relation
I'm now looking for a screwdriver (again) to remove the heatsink, because in the BIOS it says there's just 1 CPU core so there's either bent pin(s) or missing resistors. Thanks for the suggestions.

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
1) I can't get PCI passthrough to work, as the error I'm getting is that the CPU doesn't support the functionality, even though VT-d is enabled in the BIOS.
My experience is that mass-market Supermicro X10SL* boards do not have the firmware bits (or do not have them enabled) to fully support VT-d and related functionality, even though the hardware is compatible. I would not be surprised to see the custom models inherit this limitation.

Offspring

Feb 7, 2021
My experience is that mass-market Supermicro X10SL* boards do not have the firmware bits (or do not have them enabled) to fully support VT-d and related functionality, even though the hardware is compatible. I would not be surprised to see the custom models inherit this limitation.
The board says that's enabled, so I don't know why that part isn't working. It seems, according to this post, the BIOS needs to be flashed again as the exact same board and behavior, but different CPU, is doing the exact same thing: [SOLVED] Quad Core Only Showing Single Core After Supermicro BIOS Upgrade

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
It's not the exact same board, but is from the broader family. The "try flashing the system firmware again" trick pops up a bit on Supermicro X10s for a variety of issues, Supermicro support even told me once to move around some jumpers once to more fully flash the ME.

Offspring

Feb 7, 2021
It's not the exact same board, but is from the broader family. The "try flashing the system firmware again" trick pops up a bit on Supermicro X10s for a variety of issues, Supermicro support even told me once to move around some jumpers once to more fully flash the ME.
I'm kind of stuck, because I have the BIOS that was located on these forums, but the flashing utility that the SuperMicro website offers is for the IPMI tool, and not the BIOS. I can't find the board on their website, either, so I can't try to download the proper package. Does anyone here happen to have the correct utility I can use to try and flash the board?

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
Surely it's just the standard AMI tool that ships with every other board's firmware images?

Offspring

Feb 7, 2021
I even tried the IPMI firmware update tool, but every firmware I've tried says that it's not compatible with the board.

Offspring

Feb 7, 2021
That's what i mean, I tried the IPMI option and it erroed out saying the firmware package was not compatible.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Are you sure you got your motherboard name correctly? (from bios, and bmc - include all info thats being shown in bmc including serial)
(This mobo, likely been sold only as part of some system - and likely correct firmware is present under that system)

whats the current version you are on?
first upgrade bmc firmware, then bios.

Offspring

Feb 7, 2021
Are you sure you got your motherboard name correctly? (from bios, and bmc - include all info thats being shown in bmc including serial)
(This mobo, likely been sold only as part of some system - and likely correct firmware is present under that system)

whats the current version you are on?
first upgrade bmc firmware, then bios.
3.2s.

No, I didn't try that one though I'm about to.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022

Offspring

Feb 7, 2021
I posted, though I doubt I'm going to get much if any luck out of this, unfortunately, because the board is from SoftLayer/IBM, and they work with NetApp who is notorious at locking things down if you're not in their ecosystem.