Supermicro X10SDV series (particularly the X10SDV-6C+-TLN4F)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

stupidcr0w

Mar 1, 2021
I'm in the market for a mini-ITX motherboard for a file server that I'm building. Essential requirements are:
  • Compatibility with Ubuntu Server 20.04 (doesn't have to be Ubuntu certified)
  • PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot - I intend to eventually run a tape drive (for periodic backups) off an ATTO H1244 card, which needs a minimum of x8 lanes
  • Active cooling
  • Minimum of 6 SATA ports (ZFS array)
  • ECC RAM support
I read Patrick's review of the X10SDV-6C+-TLN4F and it seems like a solid option. Does anyone have any recent experience with this board?

Also, how finicky are SuperMicro boards with ECC + registered DIMMs modules? I've got 2x 32GB DDR2400 288-pin DIMMs that were recommended for a different SuperMicro board, I assume that they should work properly.

Lastly, this board was released 5 years ago -- its capabilities are definitely still relevant, but has anything better (in the same embedded / IOT motherboard space) popped up since then? I checked SuperMicro's Gen12 and Gen11 boards, but nothing appears to have filled the X10SDV's niche. I tend to favor SuperMicro boards because they're usually very good about Linux compatibility and their designs tend to be very utilitarian.

Thank you :)

Last edited: