Supermicro SYS-E300-8D

Discussion in 'DIY Server and Workstation Builds' started by tenet, Jul 27, 2016.

1. BSDguy

BSDguy Member

Noctua don't sell 4pin 40mm fans.

2. tenet

tenet Member

Thanks. Sorry about the delay. Just had a disastrous two weeks where our primary circuit provider decided to cut our fiber over without notifying us.

You may have missed my post on the noise. Yes, it is loud and even at idle, the fans are too loud. I'm thinking of switching out the 40mm fans with lower RPM fans. The issue is that in a 20*C room, the CPU is still being reported at around 51*C.

And I've already contacted Noctua about it, they officially do not support putting their 40mm fans in a server environment.

For reference, info on the Nidec fan I plan to order: [W40S12BMA5-5*]| Nidec Corporation

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  3. BSDguy

BSDguy Member

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, too loud for me. Not even considering the E200 servers anymore and I also contacted Noctua and they don't have any fans that will work.

I'll be placing an order in a couple weeks for the Supermicro SYS-5028D-TN4T as I think (from what I have read) its a very quiet server and thats what I am looking for. Also it has more options for migrating to VSAN in the future.

Had high hopes for the E200 server but noise is a big no no for me!

4. tenet

tenet Member

Yes, I would recommend that too. It's what I use as my FreeNAS server right now. It is practically inaudible.

5. BSDguy

BSDguy Member

[QUOTE="It is practically inaudible.[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly what I wanted to read!

I also like the fact that the SYS-5028D-TN4T can have up to 8 drives in it (6 SATA SSDs, one M2 and one PCIe SSD).

Just trying to find an affordable/compatible VSAN cache tier drive that is M2 or PCIe based!

6. tenet

tenet Member

You may be disappointed on the 8 drive front. M2 and SATA 0 are shared.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  7. tenet

tenet Member

Just a final note on the noise. It became so unbearable that I finally broke down and bought a SNK-C0057AL heatsink. Wow! What a difference!

While it is still audible, it is much quieter. Primary fans spin roughly 2k slower, and more importantly, the CPU registers 12*C cooler! Totaly worth the money if noise is an issue for you on this system. I don't have my SPL meter, but those numbers tell me a lot even if my ears didn't already register it.

8. Netwerkz101

Netwerkz101 Active Member

@tenet - So for clarity:

You originally had only a stock heat sink+ the 2 40mm fans @ up to 8500 RPM?
    You only replace the heat sink with the Supermicro SNK-C0057A4L combo heat sink/fan and it's cooler(what temps on average??)
    and quieter?

What I am interpreting from you is just adding active CPU cooling dropped the RPMs of the 40mm fans.
    I have the same 57A4L in my system yet temps didn't improve for me sadly.
    I also swapped our the aluminum heat sink for the CoolJag copper heatsink and still saw no changes in temps.

But yeah ... the 57A4L fan/heat sink combo is relatively quiet.
    I got the RPMs up to 4500 before I said "ok thats getting loud now" - thats only in relation to my other server that are quiet ..
    It really isn't that loud.

Glad you are finally happy though ...I am going to play with my setup a little more over the weekend.

9. tenet

tenet Member

@Netwerkz101 : Yes, it was bone stock.

I added the heatsink and moved one primary fan so that I had a [1 0 1] configuration. I'm running ESXi 6 with three VMs set to autostart (pfSense, Ubuntu server 14.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS)

Fan2: FAN-0065L4
    Fan3: SNK-C0057A4L
    FanB: FAN-0065L4

As for the current numbers:
    CPU: 46*C (prev. 58*C)
    System: 35*C (prev. 40*C)
    All others are under 40*C

RPMS:
    Fan2: 4.4K (prev. 6.6K)
    Fan3: 2.7K
    FanB: 4.6K (prev. 6.8K)

ETA: I also managed to squeeze in 5 flash based drives (2 SATADOM, 1 M.2, 1 MSATA, and one SATA)

10. yuanlinios

yuanlinios New Member

@tenet, it looks great! Can you share some pictures of your mod?

11. tenet

tenet Member

Here you go. This is before I moved the fan in the front of the case.

[​IMG]

yuanlinios and MiniKnight like this.
  12. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

I'm liking the dual satadoms @tenet

tenet likes this.
  13. bob0

bob0 New Member

@tenet did you have to do anything special to install the C0057A4L? Did you have to remove the backplate?

I'm looking to do the same thing

14. Netwerkz101

Not to answer for Tenet, but In my experience going from the stock passive
    OEM Supermicro heatsink to the Supermicro C0057A4L did not require backplate removal.

The screws were the same size on both units unlike going from Supermicro to CoolJag (which had tiny screws and would not fit properly in the stock Supermicro backplate).

Reference:
    Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

15. msvirtualguy

msvirtualguy Active Member

This makes me want to jump ship again sell my Skull Canyon NUCs!! :) Must ....resist...urge....

16. whitey

whitey Moderator

DO IT...DO IT...DO IT! hahah

Someone w/ deeper pockets than I should do this anyways, 3-4 mode micro Xeon-D cluster setup...droolz

17. bob0

bob0 New Member

@tenet, @Netwerkz101, How the hell did you remove the stock SNK-C0054L heatsink? Mine will not budge.

18. Netwerkz101

For me ... I just let it get warm (ran it without a fan) and then shut down.
    Kind of a twist and lift off motion after screws are disengaged.

bishun likes this.
  19. tenet

tenet Member

Sorry, the period between the holidays is when we do our maintenance, so no time to even glace here. And that damnable Murphy kicked in and we lost some drives on several web servers. Finally finished with all the rebuilding. *fingers crossed*

Nope. Undo screws. Gently pry off. Install new heatsink (aligning fins so that air blows through them). Turn on.

It is indeed stuck on tight. I removed mine with gentle but firm downward pressure on each screw. It's kind of hard to explain. The idea is to put pressure on one edge to force the opposite side to come loose. If you try to use your hands to remove it, you may bend the fins.

I will say that I did turn my CPU on to ensure it worked before attempting to remove the old heat sink. So as @Netwerkz101 said earlier, some heat may help loosen the heatsink more easily. No point in doing all the work if it didn't work in the first place. :D

I should mention that I've done this on several boards since. It is working great for me.

20. Netwerkz101

I didn't notice it before ... but the mismatch might have been due to a slightly different part number.
    Supermicro SYS-E300-8D

Ignoring the Newegg pic (the MFG part # is right)... i'm staring at the part I linked to and it looks like it would have fit perfectly to that bracket.

RSC-RR1U-E8 ... will post a close-up pic of what I have if interested.