EU Supermicro SC846 Dual 1366 Gold PSU 6 x Mini SAS Backplane

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Much appreciated, your feedback! That's very concerning to hear as i've ordered 4 of them :( Might be an issue selling them too :(
Kinda amazed how they are threat pretty expensive HW like these. Maybe the storage isn't good isolated whereever they store these before shipping out..
Did you mentioned this to seller?

Btw, the seller replied me yesterday with same answer that's mentioned by another buyer of 4 pcs in that thread.
I wonder what kind of shipping that is. I will keep all you posted whenever i can get to see the stuff i ordered :)

christer

Dec 28, 2016
So I have now swapped my wrong backplane to the -A. The box is working fine, but I have to say the old backplane (EL1) and most of the trays definetly have been exposed to moisture - ie they are rusty and the bottom ones a more difficult to extract then I am used to.
Not complaining, for the price its still a bargain, but thought I should mention it.
Yes, thanks for the heads-up on the state of the case. Was the old backplane still fully functioning despite having been exposed to moisture? Just wondering in case we get chassis with the A backplane already installed. Also how is the state of the PSU and how do you find the noise level of the chassis so far?

BTW. I have ordered the 120mm fan wall for Norco chassis to see if I am able to make the conversion to a more quiet setup, and I also plan to replace the PSUs with PWS-920P-SQ if the existing ones are noisy...

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I have not tested the old one as I did not have cables when I got the case and when i got them the -A had already arrived.
I would think it should be working fine, its not heavily rusted, just visible on the screws and inside the power connector pins - can upload a pic if there is interest.
And no, I have not mentioned this to the seller, neither that I got a wrong power cable as well (butterfly connector).

I dont have too many disks in that case yet so noise (and temps) are still low (after adjusting for low speed noctua and subsequent 'fan failure' fan spinups cycles). But if my 836 is any reference it can get noisy;) those 80mm San Ace fans do pack a punch.

Fan wall extraction was a breeze by the way, and really pleasantly suprised it is noise dampend. O/c the damperners are old and break down, but at least there are some:)
And the one for the Norco fits or does it need a mod?

@PWS-920P-SQ - I see those are available in Titanium as well now - nice:)
Supermicro PWS-920P-SQ 920W 1U Redundant 80 Plus Titanium Power Supply

Reactions: christer

dtrv

Nov 23, 2016
I have seen rusty screws on SuperChassis more than once. I guess if the server has not been in an climate controlled environment, it's just a matter of time when the non-stainless steel parts starts to rust.
btw, a friend of mine got one of these servers and it seems that the seller replaced all fans with new once. The screws are rusty but the fans haven't dust seen at all.

Reactions: christer

christer

Dec 28, 2016
I just got an update from the seller saying that I should expect delivery on Friday - so looking forward to that.

I have to order some SFF-8643 to SFF-8087 cables (going to use X10SDV-7TP4F); does anyone have any input on what lengths I should go for with the A backplane? Do you think 3x 50cm and 3x 90-100cm would be OK? Thanks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I have an x10sri in it and connected a 50cm from ch0-3 to mainboard sata which is as close at it gets ...just long enough (10cm to spare).
I have also some 1m cables which are more then plenty.
I'd recommend 75cm for most of the connectors or 1m if you dont mind a bit of slack.

Last edited:

dtrv

Nov 23, 2016
The cables that came with the chassis from this thread are 110 cm. I would not go with 50 cm and I would say that is definitely too short fit to the A backplane.

christer

Dec 28, 2016
Thank you, guys. Very helpful, you made it easy for me, I'll go for the longer cables then.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
@christer any update? I was in Sweden today, no delivery happended today... Seller replied me saying their local carrier staff on holiday till Tuesday, but that carrier in Sweden should call me in case of problems... so i guess they did not attempt a delivery today!

christer

Dec 28, 2016
@christer any update? I was in Sweden today, no delivery happended today... Seller replied me saying their local carrier staff on holiday till Tuesday, but that carrier in Sweden should call me in case of problems... so i guess they did not attempt a delivery today!
Hi. No the items did not arrive today like the seller promised, and the seller has not yet responded to the message I sent earlier today (around 14:40). I have requested contact info for the courier from the seller multiple times now over the past week, but the seller is not willing to give me the info. I feel I have no choice at the moment other than to open a dispute... :(

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Hmm, wonder why he is so secretive abt shipping details? Im getting very suspicious now, been wasting too much time on this. Can we claim the currency coversion loss too? i paid with cc! Do we have a deadline before opening dispute?

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
I wrote to seller that i'm loosing hope of getting this delivered and that i'd probably wait another week and open dispute. I got reply:
"As I wrote you, I cant contact the carrier till Tuesday.
And I also dont have contact details from the Swedish carrier, for the moment we can only wait.
But normally they are max. 1 day late, maybe on monday it's there."

So i'll see how things so next week as i already planned to wait and see until next Friday.
@christer it's up to you, but you could wait with the dispute until next week maybe :)

christer

Dec 28, 2016
Seller has responded to me and claims to not have any information on who will deliver to me in Norway, but is still not sharing contact info on his courier. Also, seller does not offer any explanation as to why package was not delivered yesterday as unequivocally promised. Seller suggests that he will follow up with his courier on Tuesday (due to, as you mentioned, holiday) - but it feels like a stalling technique - as I contacted the seller yesterday during normal business hours, and he could most likely have followed up on this then if he had wanted to...

temp001

Feb 25, 2017
Hello, can you confirm which sellers are you talking about ? mrrackables from ebay that is selling the supermicro server ?
I am also looking to buy a similar server from that seller and do have some similar comunication problem. Any message sent to the seller for quote will take a whole day to get an anwer, and he reply only during the week. the answer is partial; of only 1 of the 3-4 question asked. I was calculating how many days I would have to wait based on my number of question to ask and the 1 answer per message lol.
Seller also makes mistakes in it's part list. here in this server, the backplane is marked as 826tq when it's not possible because the SuperChassis 825TQ is a 8 bay and not a 12 bay like the 826tq would require
2U 8 Bay Lo-Pow X8DTI-F Freenas JBOD Storage Server SAS2 2x Intel Xeon 9211-8i | eBay
Seller corrected the information by email, but it's not the first time I saw that. 6 month ago I also noticed an issue with the part list, contacted by message and he told me there was an error and the correct part number.

Looking at this threads, it does looks like seller is not really professionnal if it's who I think it is.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
No this is about a seller in Germany (ebay link in first post).

Guys, its carnival - that starts on thursday and ends on wednesday. So might be that the seller is out of office for the most part at the moment - some people take these things seriously;)

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Update: mine was actually delivered yesterday, the staff at post office couldn't find my name, but it was only in the ref field and not in the address field or something.
Anyway, now it remains to see what i actually have got :)

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Haha, thanks. But still some days or week until as it's in Sweden and i need to travel over to pick it up.
The lady at post office said it was one package on a pallet. It's gonna be be some amount of work to get this off the pallet and into a van i guess.