EU Supermicro SC846 Dual 1366 Gold PSU 6 x Mini SAS Backplane

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
If you look at the pictures posted on ebay, the raid card has Y cables, so maybe its not all of them with EL1

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Whooha, he replied to my request. I asked him to check the backplane and take a picture of it.
He replied with "We check it and let you know."
A bit less stressed now;)

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Yeah, i'm a bit more calm now since it's probably not shipped. I've used quite some money so i was a bit stressed :rolleyes:
But looking at https://www.thomas-krenn.com/de/wikiDE/images/5/58/Backplane-BPN-SAS-846EL1-back.jpg, and the http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RcoAAOSw4DJYl-Dh/s-l1600.jpg, you can slightly see they are different. The latter one seems to have have 2 SFF-ports vertically aligned (top right corner on that image), while the former has 3 of them horizontally aligned. So @SIlviu might be right?

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Possibly.
Remember I ordered my case without board & everything. Considered that its here already I assume he had a few of those empty one ones sitting there as well. Yours with board & co might very well be exactly as described;)
He sold 5 in the first batch and has 10 in the second, so he has quite a few of those.

I was looking to find the specifications of the cables, that would tell you whether it had Mini Sas connectors or individual drive ones.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Some good news folks: :D
The servers have different backplanes as suspected by @Rand__ (you're probably better off just sending just the backplane for replacement i guess).
Image at OwnDrive
So it's confirmed he has servers with SAS846A backplane and he assured me i will get those servers (or rather chassis since i also ordered without MB/CPU/RAM/RAID controller!)

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Yes that's what I heard as well.

Means that some of folks looking for this later need to make sure to ask what they get (since the seller does not specifically advertise the -A backplane).

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
Mine just arrived today, all ok.
Can someone recommend a newer raid controller to replace the old 9650, I cant seem to find anything without changing cables or a 24i raid card at a good price.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Raid controler with 24ports are rare:
Adaptec 72405 (I think somebody in the fs/wtb forum sells one)
Areca ARC-1883ix-24

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Mine isnt shipped and seller isnt responding for a couple of days... last message from Fri is that DHL couldnt ship those to Sweden and he would come back with tracking to me...

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
It's kinda slow communicating with them at the moment ... Had my last contact on monday and received my replacement -A backplane on tuesday.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
That's what i experience too. Still, after buying and paying for 4pcs of them, i'd expect some feedback on shipping status update since it's now over 1 weeks since i paid :)

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
Updated the bios from 1.0b to latest 2.0c, the board is dead....the update was succesful but after reboot, no post... I`l try tomorrow a recovery

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
The board is ok now with 2.0c firmware, removed memory and I wrote it with external programmer.

Recovery method from supermicro did not work...

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
@Rand__ still no reply/status update from seller after 5-7 days. I sent a last request for update today.
I don't like it, but it might be time to start a dispute? I paid directly with my CC, so no PP dispute but directly with eBay i guess?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
@Rand__ still no reply/status update from seller after 5-7 days. I sent a last request for update today.
I don't like it, but it might be time to start a dispute? I paid directly with my CC, so no PP dispute but directly with eBay i guess?
Sure, this should speed things up.
I in your stead would be calling the seller, but I assume your german is a little rusty;) Dunno whether they speak english.

christer

Dec 28, 2016
I am in the same position, having ordered and paid for 4 units.

After some emails without reply, I finally got a response from the seller yesterday. Seller states that my order was shipped by a carrier that have no tracking, but that the seller would reach out to the carrier on Monday to ask for delivery status...

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So I have now swapped my wrong backplane to the -A. The box is working fine, but I have to say the old backplane (EL1) and most of the trays definetly have been exposed to moisture - ie they are rusty and the bottom ones a more difficult to extract then I am used to.
Not complaining, for the price its still a bargain, but thought I should mention it.