EU Supermicro SC846 Dual 1366 Gold PSU 6 x Mini SAS Backplane

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
is this direct attached backplane? Or at least support >2TB HDDs?

Edit: i should've read the heading, it says 6 x mini SAS backplane. Is that likely to be BPN-SAS-846EL1?

Last edited:

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
Seller confirmed its the BPN-SAS-846A .... max 2TB drives...

I thout the chassis with 1200W power supplyes come with sas 2 backplane

Ninja1283

Jul 10, 2016
German isn't my forté, but if it has the 6x Mini SAS non-expander backplane (as indicated by the OP), it would be the BPN-SAS-846A backplane.

michathe

Feb 25, 2016
Yea should be the BPN-SAS-846A since there is a 24 Port Raid Card installt but ido not now if the raid controller supports more than 2TB.

Reactions: XmiX

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
SAS-846A is a highly coveted backplane actually, well, for one particular reason lol in that I believe it's the only backplane that has a constant-on LED that flickers on activity, as opposed to the other backplanes where the LED only lights ON activity, otherwise it is not on.

If it is truly the 846A backplane then it is a direct attach backplane that will support any size drive...

Reactions: Aestr

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
@frogtech is correct that the SAS-846A is direct attach and has no size limitations. As mentioned the seller might be referring to a limitation on the RAID controller, but the backplane will not be a problem.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Yes, those are significantly cheaper in the US, but p&p usually kills any potential deals..
$485 in this case;) (pun intended)

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
Bought one now hope its ok, searching the web people talk that this backplane works fine even with sas3

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Beware, mine arrived with an SAS846EL1 backplane :(

Let's see what the seller says... he explicitly stated -A.
On the positive side - really quick delivery and good p&p,
on first glance: case looks clean and only minor issues (missing screws, slightly bent drive carriers), but have not looked too closely yet.

Reactions: fossxplorer

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
SAS846EL1 is SAS1/SATAII 3gbit right?
That's too bad as i also did order 4.
Now i need to cancel it. Should i contact Paypal as i don't want to send back from Sweden covering expense myself?
The seller also confirmed it was -A backplane to me!
Thanks a lot for letting us know.

Beware, mine arrived with an SAS846EL1 backplane :(

Let's see what the seller says... he explicitly stated -A.
On the positive side - really quick delivery and good p&p,
on first glance: case looks clean and only minor issues (missing screws, slightly bent drive carriers), but have not looked too closely yet.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Yes its SAS1, 3GBit.

I'd get in contact with the seller first before contacting Paypal.
If its shipped already then its too late anyway, easiest would be to reject the parcel, it should then be sent back.
But maybe the seller can stop it for his sake.

And I have not heard back from them, maybe its just mine that has an issue (hopefully)

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
So the 2TB limitation will be an issue here too? If so it's totally useless for me :(

I doubt it's only yours. Did it have 6 mini SAS connectors (and does EL1 versions also have the same amount) ?
I've requested cancellation since i haven't got any tracking id yet. I ordered late night yesterday.
Thanks for the tip that i can reject the parcel, hopefully we don't get that far.
Also, the seller didn't reply me before ~ 15:30 CET, so he might be doing this as side business and busy with regular job before that :)

But really, it's too bad sellers are selling with WRONG ITEM SPEC and he stated explicitely that it was
BPN-SAS-846A for my first contact with him asking for what type of backplane the server had!

Yes its SAS1, 3GBit.

I'd get in contact with the seller first before contacting Paypal.
If its shipped already then its too late anyway, easiest would be to reject the parcel, it should then be sent back.
But maybe the seller can stop it for his sake.

And I have not heard back from them, maybe its just mine that has an issue (hopefully)

Last edited: