Supermicro Motherboard Mystery Interface

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gregoinc

Apr 27, 2023
I have a Supermicro H11SSL-i motherboard and it has the interfaces below. I have tried doing research on the use of these interfaces and the cables I might use. But I have come up empty? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

20230426_193110-1.jpg

Stankyjawnz

Aug 2, 2017
Looks like minisas. you can get cables to break those out into more sata or nvme. There may be a jumper or bios setting to set it for sata or nvme.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I have tried doing research on the use of these interfaces and the cables I might use. But I have come up empty? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Supermicro has detailed product pages for their motherboards. Manuals, firmware, all kinds of good stuff. Search the motherboard model number using your favorite search engine, and it will almost always be in the first couple search results:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
the H11SSL-i delivers 2x 4 SATA outputs on it.
you need 2 miniSAS HD(SFF-8643) to SATA breakout cable.
SFF-8643 to 4x SATA

gregoinc

Apr 27, 2023
Supermicro has detailed product pages for their motherboards. Manuals, firmware, all kinds of good stuff. Search the motherboard model number using your favorite search engine, and it will almost always be in the first couple search results:

Yes, did that... perhaps I missed it? Anyway, seems RolloZ170 found the interface technical name, so all good. Really appreciate the feedback.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Yes, did that... perhaps I missed it? Anyway, seems @RolloZ170 found the interface technical name, so all good. Really appreciate the feedback.
Wow, apologies! Besides not labeling the connector very well, they didn't do a good job in some places identifying which features are unique to which model motherboard of the three covered in the manual.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
they didn't do a good job in some places identifying which features are unique to which model motherboard of the three covered in the manual.
I-SATA0~I-SATA7 Internal SATA Ports

L-SAS0~L-SAS7 Internal SAS Ports (H11SSL-C & H11SSL-NC only)

SATA8~SATA11 (JNVME0) - Internal SATA/NVMe Ports (SATA8~SATA11: H11SSL-i only, JNVME0: H11SSL-NC only)

SATA12~SATA15 (JNVME1) - Internal SATA/NVMe Ports (SATA12~SATA15: H11SSL-i only, JNVME1: H11SSL-NC only)

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I-SATA0~I-SATA7 Internal SATA Ports

L-SAS0~L-SAS7 Internal SAS Ports (H11SSL-C & H11SSL-NC only)

SATA8~SATA11 (JNVME0) - Internal SATA/NVMe Ports (SATA8~SATA11: H11SSL-i only, JNVME0: H11SSL-NC only)

SATA12~SATA15 (JNVME1) - Internal SATA/NVMe Ports (SATA12~SATA15: H11SSL-i only, JNVME1: H11SSL-NC only)
Well, I had an idea of the differences just from the model numbers...but that's because I'm a nerd with no life. So, the fact that some sections (the detailed connector info for example) gave a reminder of the differences and some didn't weren't an issue for me. But, someone coming into this stuff for the first time....yikes!

Which reminds me...

@gregoinc , cables with the SFF-8643 connector on one end and SATA connectors on the other are directional. In your case, you need a "forward" breakout cable. These are by far the most common, but the reverse are out there too. Although, for a SATA implementation, maybe the difference doesn't matter?

gregoinc

Apr 27, 2023
Thanks for the additional information. Here's the cable I purchased. Based on the information in this thread I believe it should do the job.

marg

Mar 28, 2017
@Markess
I think Supermicro CBL-SAST-0699 would be the right cable for this connector?

@gregoinc
If you are looking for these cables, let me know I have a couple of them.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Thanks for the additional information. Here's the cable I purchased. Based on the information in this thread I believe it should do the job.
CBL-SAST-0699
Yes, I think that both of those are the correct direction and will work. There's a lot of cables to choose from what with varying lengths and orientation of the connectors on either end (i.e. in-line, right angle, etc.)

Reactions: gregoinc