Supermicro 4u 24 bay chassis with SAS2 expander

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Man, you guys had me freaking out. I bought one of the SC846-E16 units without the motherboard. I knew it said SAS2 backplane in the description, but I could not see the part number due to the backplane mount. I was just getting ready to remove the backplane from the chassis when I found a mirror that let me see the item number "BPN-SAS2-846EL1" I only negotiated price with the seller, but would have been TICKED if I got a SAS1 backplane.
Where was this positioned on the backplane?

I'm trying to locate my model # too, mine are supposed to be SAS2 which I still haven't verified :/

drake3

Feb 11, 2011
If you are looking at the chassis from the rear, it is on the left side. Take a mirror and place it directly behind the backplane (the side facing the chassis fans) reflecting up to see under the metal frame just under the top. The SuperMicro model should be located on the left, upper corner, underneath the metal frame holding the backplane looking in from the rear of the chassis.

I could not see it directly without using the mirror since the frame conceals it.

Let us know what you find!

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I just had my replacement arrive, and they forgot to include the proper power supply and my replacement x58 motherboard had bent CPU pins.

Remember this stuff is surplus so INSPECT IT WELL. They're handling it, but still a hassle to deal with getting multiple bent chassis or broken parts.

Luckily my backplane is SAS2 :) I have a 3rd unit I need to check now that I have the mirror+light to inspect, lol.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I just had my replacement arrive, and they forgot to include the proper power supply and my replacement x58 motherboard had bent CPU pins.

Remember this stuff is surplus so INSPECT IT WELL. They're handling it, but still a hassle to deal with getting multiple bent chassis or broken parts.

Luckily my backplane is SAS2 :) I have a 3rd unit I need to check now that I have the mirror+light to inspect, lol.
well, nothing is perfect. they could bend when was doing in a hurry :p.

I am pretty sure your backplane is SAS2 as long as they state SAS2 backplane on ebay auction.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
well, nothing is perfect. they could bend when was doing in a hurry :p.

I am pretty sure your backplane is SAS2 as long as they state SAS2 backplane on ebay auction.
??? How can the entire chassis bend sideways when in a hurry, it can't. They shipped a bent chassis.

I have 3+ of these from the same seller and have had them customize them, and include various other items.

Just because ebay says something or the seller says something it doesn't mean you're going to get it...

IE: I got 900w power supplies UNRATED and was promised Gold or Platinum, so now they're sending 1200w Gold since they don't have any 900. GOod thing I pulled the PSU to check.

The motehrboard was shipped w/out guard or HS so the pins got bent. The motherboard IN the chassis was fine but it also had heat sinks for protection ;) The board with bent pins is a replacement board for a bad one they sent previously... this is old-stock so there's bound to be problems with stuff but not dents or sending wrong items, etc....

All could have been avoided, all were seller fault.

Don't rely on ebay description or "believe" sellers... you need to verify what you get.

I learned this the hard way on a few items waiting 1-2mo before using them and finding out something was broken. now I check everything within 7 days.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
Has anyone seen the SAS3 backplane around pretty cheap? I'm about to pull the trigger one one of these and they're not offering the rails as they're out but there was a post, somewhere, that had details on which rails to buy with it. Any help is appreciated and thanks for posting up this deal with all the great information!

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Has anyone seen the SAS3 backplane around pretty cheap? I'm about to pull the trigger one one of these and they're not offering the rails as they're out but there was a post, somewhere, that had details on which rails to buy with it. Any help is appreciated and thanks for posting up this deal with all the great information!
Negative. SAS2 BP still going for 150-250 it seems.

Hopefully by the time I need SAS3 the BP comes down in price :) Then again I'd need some new HBAs too, or I guess it could go in a HardWare raid box since I do have some 12Gb/s cards already. 2Many Choices!

Reactions: canta

canta

Nov 26, 2014
??? How can the entire chassis bend sideways when in a hurry, it can't. They shipped a bent chassis.

I have 3+ of these from the same seller and have had them customize them, and include various other items.

Just because ebay says something or the seller says something it doesn't mean you're going to get it...

IE: I got 900w power supplies UNRATED and was promised Gold or Platinum, so now they're sending 1200w Gold since they don't have any 900. GOod thing I pulled the PSU to check.

The motehrboard was shipped w/out guard or HS so the pins got bent. The motherboard IN the chassis was fine but it also had heat sinks for protection ;) The board with bent pins is a replacement board for a bad one they sent previously... this is old-stock so there's bound to be problems with stuff but not dents or sending wrong items, etc....

All could have been avoided, all were seller fault.

Don't rely on ebay description or "believe" sellers... you need to verify what you get.

I learned this the hard way on a few items waiting 1-2mo before using them and finding out something was broken. now I check everything within 7 days.
if you do NOT get what on ebay acution listed, this is SELLER MISTAKE, simple as 1 2 3

entire chasis got bent, when someone drop that heavy box on the truck during loading or unloading
do not believe me? try one...
packaging is the key. did you have a sec.. camera on your front door.. you would be surprise seeing recorded sec. camera.
mine got dropped , luckily one ear handle got bent.. easy to fix, just hate to see someone delivered without care..

what? 900W gold/plat? never exists on SM world as I know

as I said, when you buy on ebay, verify the detail with seller. or swing to the forum to ask questions on SM server case that you are interested where you know what you should get.

started with day one on ebay, I always check the item!
you have to believe seller ebay description,and check the item when arrives.
welcome to ebay!!!
you MUST check you item once delivered to your home/location :D. make sure the item is the same as seller described on auction.
if not, contact seller to resolved,
or no response, open a dispute via ebay. Please do not forget to take pictures..

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
if you do NOT get what on ebay acution listed, this is SELLER MISTAKE, simple as 1 2 3

entire chasis got bent, when someone drop that heavy box on the truck during loading or unloading
do not believe me? try one...
packaging is the key. did you have a sec.. camera on your front door.. you would be surprise seeing recorded sec. camera.
mine got dropped , luckily one ear handle got bent.. easy to fix, just hate to see someone delivered without care..\

I know a box can be damaged. Mine was not. I have a camera on my door, but I meet them out there when they arrive I also know my delivery man he's helped pull my wife out from being stuck in the snow.

what? 900W gold/plat? never exists on SM world as I know

Look at the SM Power Supply Matrix. 920w Platinum does exist. I forget if Gold exists at exactly 900 or not.

as I said, when you buy on ebay, verify the detail with seller. or swing to the forum to ask questions on SM server case that you are interested where you know what you should get.

started with day one on ebay, I always check the item!
you have to believe seller ebay description,and check the item when arrives.
welcome to ebay!!!
you MUST check you item once delivered to your home/location :D. make sure the item is the same as seller described on auction.
if not, contact seller to resolved,
or no response, open a dispute via ebay. Please do not forget to take pictures..
I commented where appropriate, but felt you mostly repeated what I said...

maze

Apr 27, 2013
please buy one :D, welcom to the club SM 4U ......
I am, but shipping to Denmark isnt cheap + dollar vs. dkk being at a 5 yr high is ****ing it up for me :) -- well, that, and tax and imports :/

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I commented where appropriate, but felt you mostly repeated what I said...
I try to clear out. Not less and not more

This IS sas2 and 1200w gold rated.
Since seeing someone getting confused!

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Yep, and those 1200w Gold are awesome, and DIRT cheap. I think i have half-dozen spares that cost me under $160 for all of them, I am waiting on my 920 Plat. to try to see what kind of power I save, I'm thinking 8-15 watts: )

Kanedo

Aug 1, 2014
So each of the drive bay has two LEDs
- Blue for drive activity
- Red for failure/rebuild

Blue LED flickers when there is drive access, which seems normal enough.

A friend of mine purchased this chassis and says all of his drive bays' Red LEDs are lit, even though the drives are operating normally.

Does anyone know what and how the Red LED is controlled? What hardware/software does one need to have the OS or user control this light? Also, is there a way just to turn them off and not use it?

Rain

May 13, 2013

A friend of mine purchased this chassis and says all of his drive bays' Red LEDs are lit, even though the drives are operating normally.

Does anyone know what and how the Red LED is controlled? What hardware/software does one need to have the OS or user control this light? Also, is there a way just to turn them off and not use it?
Lots of variables here. What HBA/RAID controller is he using? ledctl can be used to manually control the LEDs if he's using an HBA, but no HBA should be modifying the state of the LEDs to begin with.

canta

Nov 26, 2014

Blue is for Drive activity, please do not alarm some Desktop Drive/SSD does not send activity to backplane (no Blue activity LED).
I confirm on my OCZ Arc 100. you experience YMMY,

LED RED is for locate and failed status
locate-> solid RED
failed-> flashing RED.

if you are using HBA, you can disable/turnoff all red LED. In linux(my only experience), sg_ses can trigger "locate", "failed", disable "blue LED activity"( depends on your HBA/drive actually, some ignore disable activity led)

the order on drive bays: left lower(lower # of bay) to lef top (higher # of bay); 0-3, 4-7,......,19-23

if you are on HBA, or Hardware RAID, I can post some seg_ses to activate locate and failed situation.
this is useful on HBA due to flashing failed drive.
Hardware RAID will set failed LED when drive is failing.

in general rule, you can NOT control LEDs, if you are using 4X sata to minisas.
as my memory serves me well, there is a jumper to disable red LED on backplane. or I could be wrong :D

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Lots of variables here. What HBA/RAID controller is he using? ledctl can be used to manually control the LEDs if he's using an HBA, but no HBA should be modifying the state of the LEDs to begin with.
ledctl does not work on M1015 and dell H200/310.
I need to run sg_ses directly to manipulate LEDs