Supermicro 4u 24 bay chassis with SAS2 expander

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
Something else I remembered. You CAN get a SATA drive to show a solid blue light when connected. Just overheat the drive until the SMART status registers the failure. :)

(One of my disks did that. I don't know why it showed blue instead of red, but it did.)

Reactions: Biren78

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Something else I remembered. You CAN get a SATA drive to show a solid blue light when connected. Just overheat the drive until the SMART status registers the failure. :)

(One of my disks did that. I don't know why it showed blue instead of red, but it did.)
this my understanding:
your HD drives solid blue Activity LED. it screamed loud!! :D
RED (including BLUE <- enable or disable activity status) LEDS are control via i2c or sgpio. current HBA and Hardware RAID drives LEDs via i2c (hardly some included sgpio pins). very old one only support sgpio.
normally BLUE got driven via HD activity line.

Rain

May 13, 2013
LED RED is for locate and failed status
locate-> solid RED
failed-> flashing RED.
This is incorrect. Locate is a quick flash, a failed disk is solid red, and hotspare and/or rebuilding disk is a slow flash. These are the possible states on the backplane; different RAID controllers might map different drive states to different LED flash periods, though. I'm fairly sure this is in the backplane manual, but here is a video I randomly found on YouTube for reference:

ledctl does not work on M1015 and dell H200/310.
I need to run sg_ses directly to manipulate LEDs
I have an M1015 and an H200; both work with ledctl and this backplane (SAS2 model). Not sure why it doesn't work for you, but it definitely should (no reason why it wouldn't).

Through an HBA in IT mode (or IR)? It likely won't monitor SMART and turn on the failure LED; that's for the OS to do as far as the HBA is concerned. The disk was probably hanging on IO and the activity LED was solid because, technically, there was "constant" (albeit hung) IO. A RAID card likely would have set the failure state because it would have dropped the drive out of the array it was in.

Last edited:

canta

Nov 26, 2014
This is incorrect. Locate is a quick flash, a failed disk is solid red, and hotspare and/or rebuilding disk is a slow flash. These are the possible states on the backplane; different RAID controllers might map different drive states to different LED flash periods, though. I'm fairly sure this is in the backplane manual, but here is a video I randomly found on YouTube for reference:

I have an M1015 and an H200; both work with ledctl and this backplane (SAS2 model). Not sure why it doesn't work for you, but it definitely should (no reason why it wouldn't).

Through an HBA in IT mode (or IR)? It won't likely monitor SMART and turn on the failure LED; that's for the OS to do as far as the HBA is concerned. The disk was probably hanging on IO and the activity LED was solid because, technically, there was "constant" (albeit hung) IO. A RAID card likely would have set the failure state because it would have dropped the drive out of the array it was in.
you are correct : locate is solid quick flashing red. failed is solid red

ledctl is Not working on my m1015 and H200 with sas2 expander, I am running centos 7.X
based on the manpage, ledctl should work. on the other side of story in manpage: ledctl is not guaranteed 100%work.
not hard to do on bash or python to replace ledctl that fix my issue :D.

IR and IT does not monitor SMART, I run script in crond to verify SMART, and set failed solid red LED. I am using sg_ses.
basically, the script check on first expander under live /sys mounting, and set failed command that based on bays/trays mapping.

exactly, solid Acitivity led is "hang" I/O command process on the OS side.

hardware Raid will set solid failed red LED on failing/failed drive.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
It is possible you have a simple cable issues? Not all 8087-8087 cables wire the sidebands. Without them you won't be able to control the LEDs on the expander backplane.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
It is possible you have a simple cable issues? Not all 8087-8087 cables wire the sidebands. Without them you won't be able to control the LEDs on the expander backplane.
on my situation, the SM case from ebay came with 3 sideband-minisas. this is required for HW Raid to control backplane front led as I know.

on my understanding HBA, i2c command must be sent through the card by using ledctl.
this should work, but not on me :|. or I missed something.

my last approach is using sg_ses that send scsi command to expander backplane through minisas (do not need sidebands). I am good by wrapping sg_ses and smartctl to set failed or turn off led.

I am going to test ledctl on direct minisas without expander with sideband for my current (still building ) proxmox with M1015.
sg_ses works that I already tested. need time to verify ledctl since focusing to finish the build and configuring OVS and other proxmox configurations.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I have one of these arriving today. I'm a bit confused as to the MB that will fit in this chassis. The manual doesn't mention size or form factor. Does this have standard PSU connectors? What about the front panel connectors? Are they standard or proprietary? Sorry, I'm a noobe, any guidance is greatly appreciated.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
I got my unit yesterday and specified a SAS2 backplane in my order. I won't be able to hook the unit up for another week or so but couldn't find a way to verify the SAS2 backplane without taking it out. I might need a tilt mirror unless someone has a trick to seeing the model #.

badskater

Automation Architect
May 8, 2013
Canada
An easy way to check if it's a SAS2 backplane, is check between the SFF-8087 connectors. SAS2 has 2 capacitors, while SAS1 has only one. I said this on an older topic, so I'm putting the info here too.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Flexi-Mirror from Sears with light is what I used.
I have a pic of me checking here someplace Illl ook foryou.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
An easy way to check if it's a SAS2 backplane, is check between the SFF-8087 connectors. SAS2 has 2 capacitors, while SAS1 has only one. I said this on an older topic, so I'm putting the info here too.
I'll have a look when I get home thanks! Maybe a picture I can upload later as well for reference.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I used a small mirror to verify mine. As badskater said, 2 caps between the 8087 connectors will tell you too.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The first one worked out so well I just ordered another. This one includes a X8DTE-F motherboard and 2 900w PSU's. Total was about the same as the first so the MB is a bonus. Delivered price was $308. I'll have all the storage space I need for the foreseeable future (yea, right, lol)

Reactions: T_Minus

maze

Apr 27, 2013
I'v been looking to order one of these suckers. But shipping / customs to .eu (.dk) ... ouch!

Anyway, one thing I have been considering lately is the controller/HBA setup.

I am currently running an M1015 reflashed in passthrough to my storage vm

So im a novice when it comes to backplanes etc., but wondering if its possible for me to use my new adaptec 5805 for a part of the backplane? - like 8 discs, and then use the remaining 16 on two m1015 controllers? - It looks like theres 6 sas ports on the backplane.. but some seem to be secondary ports - for redundancy?

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
I'v been looking to order one of these suckers. But shipping / customs to .eu (.dk) ... ouch!

Anyway, one thing I have been considering lately is the controller/HBA setup.

I am currently running an M1015 reflashed in passthrough to my storage vm

So im a novice when it comes to backplanes etc., but wondering if its possible for me to use my new adaptec 5805 for a part of the backplane? - like 8 discs, and then use the remaining 16 on two m1015 controllers? - It looks like theres 6 sas ports on the backplane.. but some seem to be secondary ports - for redundancy?
Here's something at an "ok" price, from Sweden. (Also, the Swedish Kronor is quite low compared to DK, so might be a good deal?)
Supermicro SC846 4U Chassie 24x3.5" 2x900W Rackskenor p Tradera.com -

james23

Nov 18, 2014
good to know all resolve,
this the auction header that I know "Supermicro SC846E16-R1200B 24 Bay 4U Chassis 2x 1200Watt PSU and Rail Kit" . you should get sas2 backplane and all fans are PWM..
the old 846 fans are without PWM
Im curious, What is the advantage of having chassis fans that support / are PWM? (is that the 4pin fan connector that allows you to get RPM numbers via IPMI)?

I ask bc i have a 4u 846 (the older one that comes with a SAS1 backplane/expander yet im able to get RPM readings on all my SM fans).

----
question 2:

With all of these 4u 846 users here, i think its finally time to get a lingering question ive had settled! on my sm 2u 12 bay, the Blue LED (12x on the HDDs), is normally OFF, but Blinks BLUE based upon activity.
BUT!
on my 4u 846 (i have the BPN-SAS-846A Direct Attached, 6x sff8087 backplane), my BLUE leds are ON and then flicker on activity! (i hate that!! you can get so much more "info" on activity when they are off, and then blink blue on act.

I called supermicro about this (bc i wanted to get my 846A backplane to be off, then blue on act, but after a few days they called back and said that at some point SM changed the default from BLUE off, to BLUE on, and there is no way for the user to alter the default.

sooo.. what is the BLUE HDD led situation for you all with 4u s ? , and pls specify your backplane..

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fritz