Super cheap LSI SAS3 controller

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
At least its a reason for me to take a pass! :p I buy too much stuff that I don't have a real use for just because, "its a great value for what it is!"
Well, I was able to resist when STH Effect kept driving up the price, but now (at this very moment at least), it's down to $21.99 and I my mouse got a mind of its own.

Looks like the "A" backplane is coming out of one of the 826s and the SAS3 expander backplane on the shelf is going in...so many less cables!

Sacrilego

Now with more RGB!
Jun 23, 2016
I had already bought two. Didn't need any more. But at this price? My mind went blank and last thing I knew, I bought another two!

• Haha
Reactions: Samir

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
  • Haha
Reactions: Samir and bwahaha

WilliamArmstrong

Aug 20, 2020
Just got mine in today. It was flashed with P15 firmware and an earlier LSI UEFI BIOS.

Used MediaKAT's WinPE and this command, changing the .efi to .exe, and it flash perfectly, preserving the SAS Address. So the command looked like this:

sas3flash.exe -f SAS9300_8i_IT.bin -b mptsas3.rom -b mpt3x64.rom

Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: Samir and Fritz

chrgrose

Jul 18, 2018
Over 200 sold and still 350 left. I'm really curious how the seller got that many in the first place.

Reactions: Samir

Auggie

Nov 26, 2022
I just purchased a few brackets off of ebay, I'll let you know when they come in.
The brackets came in, and I finally got to fit them. These fit perfectly, so it looks like generic LSI brackets will definitely work.

On a somewhat related note, one of the two controller cards I received from this thread was performing extremely poorly, with terrible speeds and throwing lots of read errors with zfs. I swapped out the card for the other, along with the cable, switched pcie slot, and switched which port in the backplane it was attached to, so I can't definitely say it was the card. Will have to do some more testing, but it's going to be a while before I get to it.

Reactions: Samir and bwahaha