STEC Mach16 50Gb SLC, ZIL Hidden Jem?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
Another thing to try is to not format/partition the SLOG drive but instead give the whole thing to ZFS. Perhaps you are getting some strange alignment issues.
Thanks, tested this just giving it the entire drive, performance is the same.

Testing a fresh Solaris 11.2 install with Napp-It to see how that performs.

MatrixMJK

Aug 21, 2014
Sun/Oracle use STEC SLC and MLC drives in their enterprise ZFS storage platform as ZIL and ARC cache (at least they did from intro to a couple years ago) so I would bet they are good for use even second hand. I have some of the early 18GB SLC STEC drives and they are pretty fast and had no problems with them. I also use a few of the STEC 100GB MLC drives, not too fast but they were free and no problems.

Reactions: 5teve

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I typically use 3M hanging strips to mass-mount SSDs, but these things are tiny packages with exposed PCB and flash - I think I'm going to wrap them in electrical tape and mount with double-sided foam tape.

:)

DaveBC

Apr 7, 2015
1st, I beleive there is an issue with FreeBSD's NFS server either not supporting the 64KB transfer size that an ESXi client would use, or it splits it up into 4K chunks when writing to the drive.

2nd, I'm not sure if device cache is ever used with slog devices, but when using a partition or disk slice with ZFS, the drive's cache isn't used. If you define host protected area, you should get the over provisioning you're looking for without bypassing the device cache.

I'll try to find references to back this up. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong...