SOLVED: Help with installation of MSM (17.05.06.00_MSM_Windows) - Java issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

blus

Mar 11, 2024
I must have run through this 20 times and I still can't get it to work, not on my server, not on a desktop that I also have a 9361-8i in. I even switched to the previous version and now that doesn't work either. I don't remember which version I had previously that did work.

I can install and run the software, but it gets that yellow error bar that it can't find the server. I do have the javax.activation.jar file in the right place. I have not found anything else that would suggest a solution.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Thanks

-JCL
i install a MegaRaid 9340-8i in my Windows 11 desktop PC,i have the same problem, it show a yellow error and not find server .I noticed this page
SecCon SecCon said install 32 bit version Oracle Jave, I installed OpenJDK8U-Jre x64 yesterday ,and try almost 20 times to make it work, cycling install and uninstall, i try download OpenJDK8U-Jre x86 just Now! it Worked!!
and then i read the full readme.txt in the installer folde , Step 2 saying "Set OpenJRE.... X86 path to System Path".
So actually MSM just need java x86 runtime environment,both Oracle or OpenJDK java Can work.

I susupect it contain copyright or something privilege in business software, so the installer split the java runtime.

blus

Mar 11, 2024
by the way, I follow this page create a new Windows User which named 'msm' to set JRE_HOME PATH, and set the MSMFramewrok Services login the 'msm' account. that page also point the MSMFramework service just run a java back server to started the back work. after MSMFramework Service started, if that none new java process running, means the service start failed, which show the 'Create process failed' message box during the installing step. also can use 'netstatus -ano |find "3071" command to confirmed if the 3071 port is listenning.

blus

Mar 11, 2024
by the way, I follow this page create a new Windows User which named 'msm' to set JRE_HOME PATH, and set the MSMFramewrok Services login the 'msm' account. that page also point the MSMFramework service just run a java back server to started the back work. after MSMFramework Service started, if that none new java process running, means the service start failed, which show the 'Create process failed' message box during the installing step. also can use 'netstatus -ano |find "3071" command to confirmed if the 3071 port is listenning.
created a new Windows user because he has others Java runtime reference program need run, so can't uninstall other Java runtime version.

Reactions: dawsonkm

SecCon

Arkham Asylum Server Mgmt
May 26, 2022
I do not think you actually need to create new users, each java application can start with a cmd line entry and you can have several JRE application directories on the same computer. It is all about mapping the correct path to the correct version.

Nothing prevents you from having several system PATH variables either, like Java_HOME_81, Java_HOME_82 etc... as long as they point to corresponding java /bin/ directories with correct versions of the runtime for that app.

This is of course more advanced and requires some additional work and being careful with how you do it.

Reactions: blus

blus

Mar 11, 2024
I do not think you actually need to create new users, each java application can start with a cmd line entry and you can have several JRE application directories on the same computer. It is all about mapping the correct path to the correct version.

Nothing prevents you from having several system PATH variables either, like Java_HOME_81, Java_HOME_82 etc... as long as they point to corresponding java /bin/ directories with correct versions of the runtime for that app.

This is of course more advanced and requires some additional work and being careful with how you do it.
thanks, I am not familiar with the Java environment config, thanks your advice! I am probability like using .NET software in Windows Operation System.

Kimmy Yimmel

Mar 27, 2024
ok so forgive me but i am an idiot about all of this stuff, but the issue I am currently running into is that I cannot discover hosts. I made it though the installation of the MSM program but my LSI 2108 is not showing up and I am not sure if that is because of my javax.activation file or something else I have tried placing the file directly into my \bin\ folder but to no luck I did not know where to find the file to check the path that MSM is looking for either.

SecCon

May 26, 2022
ok so forgive me but i am an idiot about all of this stuff,

Check the section about PATH in Windows. Somehow your java installation is not finding the MSM.

That is among the most common issues.

Go through everything step by step, check and doublecheck. If you find something that may not reflect what you see, please describe it here, with screenshots if possible. I will of course try to help, but may be off a bit, it is Easter after all.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
ok so forgive me but i am an idiot about all of this stuff
Just ditch MSM and install LSI Storage Authority. No need for Java, it has support for Windows and Linux, and allows you to manage a system remotely.

The UI is different, and some settings aren't in obvious places, but you can click 10 times in LSA hunting for the setting in the same amount of time it takes MSM to respond to a single click.

Kimmy Yimmel

Mar 27, 2024
Just ditch MSM and install LSI Storage Authority. No need for Java, it has support for Windows and Linux, and allows you to manage a system remotely.

The UI is different, and some settings aren't in obvious places, but you can click 10 times in LSA hunting for the setting in the same amount of time it takes MSM to respond to a single click.
I tried setting up LSISA and it took me to a sign in page and i looked around to try and see what i was supposed to do and i followed a lenovo guide for setting up the ports and everything and it still did not work, I really want to try and make MSM work since it feels like im only a step away from getting it.

Kimmy Yimmel

Mar 27, 2024
Check the section about PATH in Windows. Somehow your java installation is not finding the MSM.

That is among the most common issues.

Go through everything step by step, check and doublecheck. If you find something that may not reflect what you see, please describe it here, with screenshots if possible. I will of course try to help, but may be off a bit, it is Easter after all.
ok so i have gone back through the guide as well as re-reading this entire thread to make sure that I was not missing anything and here is where I am at, my JRE_HOME path i have tried pointing at both "C:\jre1.8.0_333\jdk8u282-b08-jre\bin\javax.activation.jar" as well as "C:\jre1.8.0_333\jdk8u282-b08-jre\" and neither one worked, I was not sure where the javax.activation.jar file came from, I downloaded mine from a link somewhere but I was not sure if it was specific to a certain version of java. as far as I can tell everything seems to be where it is supposed to be but again im not 100% sure, I can provide screenshots but is there a particular screenshot you want to see?

Micro

Oct 20, 2019
Sometimes the simplest way is best.
Unless there is an overpowering reason to need MSM version 17.05.06.00, just install MSM version 17.05.01.02.
MSM version 17.05.01.02 works with W10 and W11 and virtually any Java version from the last 2 -3 years without problems or a need for workarounds.
Download (lenovo.com)
The differences are miniscule, compare the "Read Me" texts.

SecCon

May 26, 2022
ok so i have gone back through the guide as well as re-reading this entire thread to make sure that I was not missing anything and here is where I am at, my JRE_HOME path i have tried pointing at both "C:\jre1.8.0_333\jdk8u282-b08-jre\bin\javax.activation.jar" as well as "C:\jre1.8.0_333\jdk8u282-b08-jre\" and neither one worked, I was not sure where the javax.activation.jar file came from, I downloaded mine from a link somewhere but I was not sure if it was specific to a certain version of java. as far as I can tell everything seems to be where it is supposed to be but again im not 100% sure, I can provide screenshots but is there a particular screenshot you want to see?
The javax.activation file is available from my site for download, together with everything else you should need. The included java version may be a couple of versions old, but it should not matter a lot. Installing LSI / Avago Megaraid Storage Manager – SohoLabs
I can of curse not force you to download anything from a place you potentially might not trust, but that is your call.

I would like to point out, as I have before, that I have nothing against using LSI Storage Authority, I just never came across it when setting up my drives or when making my how-to so I do not have any experience using it.

Edit. I just noticed an app update on my WP site broke the download links, don't know when. I hate f-ing wordpress.

Last edited:

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I would like to point out, as I have before, that I have nothing against using LSI Storage Authority, I just never came across it when setting up my drives or when making my how-to so I do not have any experience using it.
I ran MSM for years, but the fact that it always required a specific version of Java for each MSM version meant it was a pain to maintain.

LSA, on the other hand, is a simple install and open the web page and it works. Note that this is for local management only. If you want to manage remotely, it's a bit more complex, as you need to understand how the security model works. As long as you have an administrator/root account login for the remote machine, though, it's easy. If you want to build something on top of Active Directory or LDAP and use that for login, it's a bit harder.

SecCon

May 26, 2022
I ran MSM for years, but the fact that it always required a specific version of Java for each MSM version meant it was a pain to maintain.
In an isolated system you do not have to update Java unless you expose the system to access over Internet or other hazardous activities, or, of course, if you have to update it due to some other application requirement.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
if you have to update it due to some other application requirement.
There are so many applications that require specific versions of Java but insist on using the "system" version installed on Windows that I have completely given up on anything that uses Java unless it installs its own version in its install directory.

As for "isolated", once you need to access the Java application using the web browser, you now have to deal with the web browser complaining about the Java version, or just not working at all, simply because that version of Java is too old.

I want to manage my LSI controllers using my normal workstation. I don't want to have to install a VM with the exact right config, or mess around with setting up exactly the perfect fragile config that works without making my day-to-day browser complain. For that, LSA is perfect. Install and run, since it's just HTML with some Javascript. The great part about this is that I don't have to make sure all the versions of LSA installed on all my systems match each other.

The fact that this thread exists with instructions like "download this special version of a file from my personal website" shows you just how fragile MSM and Java are. Although I have seen people have problems with LSA, it's never at the stage of "it doesn't run". It's always some other issue (like setting up security).

Reactions: SecCon

SecCon

May 26, 2022
@nabsltd
I worked with Java development back in 2000-2007 and learned to hate the shit from the start. So there is no need to tell me about how java is good or bad or anything. Then I worked in an environment with many critical java based systems from 2007 to about 2021, and the woes and problems in a huge network and application portfolio became even clearer.

I started using LSI RAID cards more than 15 years ago. My first came embedded with a SuperMicro AMD Opteron G32 motherboard that I bought to become my first server. So my first experience was with MSM, as delivered by SuperMicro. There was ZERO reason for me to look at anything else. Since then I just kept with what seemed to work and have been through 3 iterations of LSI cards, on different motherboards or as standalone cards. In this I kept notes on how to install the drivers and MSM. Now I am using Huawei LSI3108, a mezzanine card. Huawei also links to MSM for Raid storage management, so again, why even look at LSA?

I am not saying LSA is bad, only that there has be no reason whatsoever to install it or learn it since I, surprise (?), follow the manufacturer recommendations, SuperMicro, HPE and Huawei. I do NOT use my normal workstation, I use a dedicated storage server. I want no interruptions and a reliable solution. It works, so far.

I agree the solution may be what you call fragile, I might give LSA a shot when looking for my next solution, throwing java outta window, or when having to remake my current. Not before, since people in my SOHO rely on it.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I do NOT use my normal workstation, I use a dedicated storage server.
I use my workstation to manage all the storage servers, which means the browser and Java run on my workstation. I would never run a browser on the storage server.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: SecCon

Kimmy Yimmel

Mar 27, 2024
Just use a local administrator account. By default, .\Administrators has full permissions.
what is the password for this? I have also tried using the disable function in the LSA config file but that did not work for me. this is so frustrating. to a lot of other people this is probably simple but i cannot figure it out. all i want to do is replace my dead drive damn it. I also have still not been able to get MSM to detect my system it still just gives me an error.