SOLVED: Help with installation of MSM (17.05.06.00_MSM_Windows) - Java issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SecCon

Arkham Asylum Server Mgmt
May 26, 2022
Thanks for reminding me. Java has released an update since I wrote this, but unless you really need to update Java, that update can be ignored to keep MSM running.

Having said that, you may have security related reasons to update Java, then please go ahead and do so, by all means, but please let us know if anything breaks so we can do some troubleshooting.

On the other hand you might get an error, like I did.

Error Code 1603: Java Update did not complete.

I do not intend to follow those instructions.

MSM still runs ok after that update attempt.

Last edited:

R33F3R

Jun 7, 2023
7. Now copy the file [javax.activation.services] in to your Java /bin/ folder, in my example C:\OracleJRE32\bin\.
First thank you very much, I also joined because of you. However, this did not work for me exactly.

I had to drop the javax.activation.services file into path (C:\jre\jdk8u282-b08-jre\bin) before my host would appear.
I downloaded the i586/x86 version of jdk8u371 from https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/downloads/#java8-windows and also had to uninstall all previous installs of jre and jdk as well as remove all old orphaned java.exe, javaw.exe and javaws.exe files from c:\system32, C:\syswow64 and the entire C:\programdata\oracle folder before installing the new installation of jdk.

After that worked without flaw, and was able to flash new firmware to prep for a drive replacement. You rock!

Reactions: SecCon

SecCon

May 26, 2022
It seems to me you did not read everything, since I specified the system should be clean of Java before doing this, unless you know what you are doing. I also suggested an alternative installation path, where you seem to have gone with the default installation option, that is why you had to copy the javax.activation file to where you mention. I chose another path/folder to show how MSM depends on the environment variable path and where you put the javax.activation file.

You could have kept the java files, as long as you defined the environment variable path and put the javax.activation file, to the same folder, and did not have two conflicting environment variable path definitions.

Nevertheless I am happy it worked out for you.

Reactions: R33F3R

R33F3R

Jun 7, 2023
I uninstalled. Those files were orphaned.

First I installed the javax.activation to C:\jre\bin, that did not work. My environment variable path is correctly set to C:\jre.
Upon creating C:\jre\jdk8u282-b08-jre\bin, and placing javax.activation inside. The server started functioning normally.

abufrejoval

Sep 1, 2022
I tried upgrading my MSM, too, to the latest available on downloads (17.05.06.00, I believe).
Hit across the same Java issues, tried all kinds of runtimes, to no avail, even when I matched it to the exact same release mentioned in the release notes.

In the end I went back to the last release in my archives, which had the JRE included and that was the 17.05.00.02 from 2018.

That just worked.

I think software quality control went though a bad patch with all these aquisitions.

R33F3R

Jun 7, 2023
I just think they don't care anymore. They likely had improvements scheduled or completed when the decision to discontinue these cards came down from the top and they probably were told to push what they had, archive it all as legacy, and prepare for onboarding to the new new. I've been thinking they just pulled all the files down for years until I got an inkling to search "where'd the updates go" which is how I found this thread and was pleasantly surprised that I was missing a firmware, driver and MSM update.. so it's not all bad I guess. Though my Dell certified WD4001FYYGs have gotten so amazingly cheap since first buying this controller, it's going to be so great when enterprise NVRAM drives come out and NVRAM RAID gets better support.

SecCon

May 26, 2022
Of course they don't care. What do you expect? 10 year warranty and 25 years FW support? They don't make money on us, nor do we foment further product updates and development. That comes from bigger corporate customers who mostly want newer shinier stuff.

We, at least I, are only home or small office people trying to do this as cheap as possible.

Sharn

Nov 2, 2020
Hey, just to say thank you for this, I cannot tell you how long i've spent trying to fix this myself. I Should have come here sooner!

You said you have had luck with the Java updates yes? unsure if I want to touch anything now its running....

SecCon

May 26, 2022
Hi and thanks

As I wrote above the Java update failed, but again, it depends on how you use the machine where you have this installed. If it is exposed you may want to update Java and keep Java updated and I guess the easiest solution MIGHT be to uninstall MSM and Java, and do the process all over again, BUT, using the latest release of the i586 32-bit java instead of the one I used.

I have not dug in to why an update failed, it could be due to different installation directories from what I used in my guide. I really do not know at this time.

The important thing is that you have something that works to come back to, and if you like to fiddle with later versions of Java for any reason, feel free to do so, and post here about it.

However, I do not expect MSM to work better or differently with later versions of Java though so to me, that is not something I might dig in to any time soon.

Last edited:

basskleff

Jun 29, 2023
Interesting thread.
I run a MegaRaid 9361-8i SAS-SATA3 storage controller in my home workstation. And I've enjoyed MSM and had upgraded to this 17.05.06.00 version, and then I had problems.

I did a reinstall of WIndows 10 and recovery of files this past week to refresh the system, and installed the latest 64bit Oracle-Sun java jre 8. I was able to put in the JRE_HOME variable, using the "open jdk directory" name in the MSM release notes: "jdk8u282-b08-jre ".

What I ended up doing was creating that name under C:\jre\ as a symbolic link to my Oracle java directory.

It worked- somewhat. It fired up MSM fine. But I could not discover a server. In the past this kind of error had been resolved with deinstalling, reinstalling MSM and/or playing with the Windows Defender firewall. However, I suspected that actually pointing to real Oracle-Sun java impeded functionality.
I could swear MSM always had worked with Oracle-Sun java in it C:\Program Files\java directory.

And finding this release-note-endorsed open jdk was a pain in the ass.

I installed the LSI storage authority local webserver/browser solution. Fantastic. Much better. I liked the UI.

Perhaps for curiosity, I'll try SecCon's pictorial steps above with java and MSM install, and see if that discovers and works,

However, the LSI Storage Authority looks and works fine.

Last edited:

jeffshead

Feb 11, 2015
I've been a long-time user of MSM but I haven't used it it a while since shelving all of my boxes with LSI 9260-8i's. I decided to repurpose one of my boxes but I could not get MSM to discover the server (self). I followed the instructions in the "readMe" and in this thread but just like @basskleff, I had to switch to LSI Storage Authority. It installed and works great. Just takes a little getting used to.

I had trouble finding the latest version of LSA for Windows. Here's a link to it: https://docs.broadcom.com/docs-and-downloads/008.006.010.000_LSA_Windows.zip

SecCon

May 26, 2022
I have no experience with LSA so no clue really. I know I liked MSM and am used to it, so that is why I wrote this.

To each their own I guess. Maybe someone will write a similar text for the LSA. Even better, make a comparison of the two.

Micro

Oct 20, 2019
Sometimes the simplest way is best.
Unless there is an overpowering reason to need MSM version 17.05.06.00, just install MSM version 17.05.01.02.
MSM version 17.05.01.02 works with W10 and W11 and virtually any Java version from the last 2 -3 years without problems or a need for workarounds.
Download (lenovo.com)

m2kool4u

Oct 11, 2023
Success.

Long story
  1. Megaraid Storage Manager and Java gone from the system. Make sure you don't have anything that may conflict. I do not know how an upgrade of previous MSM version will work, don't have one.

2. Install Oracle Java i586 (32 bit version).
    (My OS is x64, but I could not get the x64 version of Java to work.)

View attachment 27102

3. Choose a destination folder - during the Java installation - that will not have any spaces, in my case I chose C:\OracleJRE32
    View attachment 27103

4. After the Java installation is done, set an environment variable to aforementioned folder, call it JRE_HOME.
    View attachment 27107

5. REBOOT

6. Test with a CMD: type java -version, it should give you the installed Java environment info.
    Remember the dash before version "- version".

7. Now copy the file [javax.activation.services] in to your Java /bin/ folder, in my example C:\OracleJRE32\bin\.

8. Install MSM (yes, it's the 17.05.06.00 version)

1. I selected NO here. Don't have a running LDAP.
      View attachment 27104

2. This setting made me try twice, it worked both with 2048 and 1024.
      View attachment 27105

3. I had no reason to select anything but default here.
      View attachment 27106

4. Installation successful, no additional reboot needed.

View attachment 27109

View attachment 27108
  9. The file [javax.activation.jar] that is mentioned as a separate download is NEEDED as far as I have seen.
    Lacking this file will cause MSM to not find the server.
This concludes my experiments with this.
I shall make the files and this tutorial available on my little tech blog and my Confluence docs...

Disclaimer. There may be other ways to do this, but I have found this to be the most straightforward and simplest to achieve. Basically no coding, only knowledge of file management and environment variables required.
Mate, tks a million. I too registered just to thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed solution.

jcl333

May 28, 2011
I must have run through this 20 times and I still can't get it to work, not on my server, not on a desktop that I also have a 9361-8i in. I even switched to the previous version and now that doesn't work either. I don't remember which version I had previously that did work.

I can install and run the software, but it gets that yellow error bar that it can't find the server. I do have the javax.activation.jar file in the right place. I have not found anything else that would suggest a solution.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Thanks

-JCL

SecCon

May 26, 2022
Double check the PATH parameter as in the guide. Make sure it really points to the folder where your Java is with the activation file there as well.

Or it could be that newer java versions somehow mess this up.

I can try upgrading my java and re do the steps in the guide, but it will have to wait a bit.

Meanwhile, you could try the LSI variant that @jeffshead mentions a few posts above.

Last edited:

jcl333

May 28, 2011
Hello, I can get the software installed, but it still gives that yellow message that it can't find the server.
I have the license file in the right place. Anyone
Double check the PATH parameter as in the guide. Make sure it really points to the folder where your Java is with the activation file there as well.

Or it could be that newer java versions somehow mess this up.

I can try upgrading my java and re do the steps in the guide, but it will have to wait a bit.

Meanwhile, you could try the LSI variant that @jeffshead mentions a few posts above.
OK, thank you, I will try that.

I got sick of the whole path thing and just edited the batch file to point to the correct folder.

-JCL

jcl333

May 28, 2011
I've been a long-time user of MSM but I haven't used it it a while since shelving all of my boxes with LSI 9260-8i's. I decided to repurpose one of my boxes but I could not get MSM to discover the server (self). I followed the instructions in the "readMe" and in this thread but just like @basskleff, I had to switch to LSI Storage Authority. It installed and works great. Just takes a little getting used to.

I had trouble finding the latest version of LSA for Windows. Here's a link to it: https://docs.broadcom.com/docs-and-downloads/008.006.010.000_LSA_Windows.zip
The problem with this, and correct me if I am wrong, but MSM has the ability to send you e-mail notifications on array status so you know right away when a disk fails or is about to fail, or other issues.

So far I have not found that feature in LSA.

-JCL

SecCon

May 26, 2022
The problem with this, and correct me if I am wrong, but MSM has the ability to send you e-mail notifications on array status so you know right away when a disk fails or is about to fail, or other issues.

So far I have not found that feature in LSA.
Yes, it does. I do not know about LSA.