SOLVED: Help with installation of MSM (17.05.06.00_MSM_Windows) - Java issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SecCon

Arkham Asylum Server Mgmt
May 26, 2022
I would like to get MSM running, (storcli64 is well documented, but I rather have an interface where I can see stuff better) but I am failing to get the Java setup right.

Tried several times and did some searches here as well, and still not getting it to work with Java OpenWebStart or the regular Java...

The software package, that I got from Broadcom, includes a text file with these instructions:

From MSM version 17.05.03.00 user need to follow below Pre-Requisites before installing the MSM.
==============
Pre-Requisites
==============
Prior to the MSM installation or Upgrade setup a JRE. Follow the below instructions to setup.
Recommended JRE version: AdoptOpenJDK8u282-b08.

Step 1: Download and unzip OpenJRE in your desired location ( assume: C:\jre folder)
(i) (Not Mandatory step for AdoptOpenJDK8) Copy javax.activation.jar file to "C:\jre\jdk8u282-b08-jre\bin" folder.
Download: Release JAF 1.2.0 Final Release · javaee/activation

Step2: Set OpenJRE-8.0.282.8 x86 path to System path
(i) Go to system properties -> Advanced -> Click "Environmental Variables"
(ii) Under "Environmental Variable" go to "system variables".
(iii)Create JRE_HOME under "system variables" and set "C:\jre\jdk8u282-b08-jre\"

Step 3: upgrade the MSM with new release and launch

Notes:
1) Download OpenJRE-8u282-b08 x86 and extract from Latest release | AdoptOpenJDK
2) Version check: Open a command prompt and check for the java version:
%JRE_HOME%\bin\java (Version should be "1.8.0_282")
The link to Adoptium has changed to: Latest Releases | Adoptium

I have tried several times to follow that instruction but I am not getting MSM to start properly.

Any guidance here?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
You could just download the jre installer which will setup all required environment variables.
but I am not getting MSM to start properly
What does that mean? Do you get exceptions/errors? "Nothing" happens?

SecCon

May 26, 2022
I thought you couldn't use the Java.com installer
Java Downloads | Oracle

But I can give that a shot.

So after setup (default options) it throws this. I will reboot the machine and check %path% ...

1676028479979.png

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I would try java 8 just to be sure (and it's mentioned in the instrucitons).

Direct link for windows x64, jre, installer: https://github.com/adoptium/temurin...penJDK8U-jre_x64_windows_hotspot_8u362b09.msi
So after setup (default options) it throws this. I will reboot the machine and check %path% ...
After the installation of java reboot the system (or kill all explorer.exe processes in the task manager and restart it afterwards) because explorer "caches" the current environment variables

SecCon

May 26, 2022
Direct link for windows x64, jre, installer: https://github.com/adoptium/temurin...penJDK8U-jre_x64_windows_hotspot_8u362b09.msi

After the installation of java reboot the system (or kill all explorer.exe processes in the task manager and restart it afterwards) because explorer "caches" the current environment variables
I know, worked with java dependencies, that is why I hate it. Not able to reboot or kill explorer processes now but have to wait a couple of hours.

SecCon

May 26, 2022
Error remains.

So I looked at the start cmd of the app [C:\Program Files (x86)\MegaRAID Storage Manager]

It is a shortcut to [startupui.bat] which contains a reference to %JRE_HOME% that is not available in environment variables.

Code:
@Echo off
%~d0
CD %~dp0
start %JRE_HOME%\bin\javaw -DVENUS=true -classpath .;GUI.jar;monitorgui.jar;DebugLog.jar;jaxen-1.1.jar;jdom-1.1.jar GUI.VivaldiStartupDialog ajsgyqkj=71244
So I added a system variable [JRE_HOME] to that pointing to [C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-19\bin\] which is the path to aforementioned javaw.exe

1676099031707.png

One thing that seems very strange to me is the vivaldi entry in the bat file.

Wait.
I think I should shorten the path to [C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-19\] only, since \bin\javaw are already called in the bat file. Bummer. And I forgot them " since the path has a space in it.

Now it fails to call javaw.exe because of the " in the path variable.
1676100832425.png

All because of the path.

Start over.

Last edited:

SecCon

May 26, 2022
Quicker fix.

(Remove Oracles Java if you installed it)

Install Direct link for windows x64, jre, installer: https://github.com/adoptium/temurin...penJDK8U-jre_x64_windows_hotspot_8u362b09.msi

Copy the java\bin folder to a new folder called c:\javajre (no spaces, you can call it anything)

Alter the startup path in MSM startupui.bat to the path to that folder under c:\

Code:
C:\javajre\bin\javaw
---
This would also work with Oracles Java JRE of course, but if you read everything in this thread, Broadcom recommended the other. I am still testing.

SecCon

May 26, 2022
I know that, but I do not know what the other is. LSI stopped existing like 8 years ago, why should I get LSA ?

On top of everything the java version command, which is a really basic check, do not work
(This is from a Virtual Windows 10 I moved my experimenting to)

c:\Oracle32Java>java version
Error: Could not find or load main class version

SecCon

May 26, 2022
So giving up on this and trying to find the MSM 17.05.01.02 version but it seems Lenovo, IBM and Broadcom has been diligent in removing public downloads of that version.

Anyone has it?

SecCon

May 26, 2022
MSM is no longer updated, please use LSI Storage Authority (LSA)
Actually tried that. The controller is not found. All I find is a heap of vulnerabilities and CVE's, so I am uninstalling this.

SecCon

May 26, 2022
Success.

Long story
  1. Megaraid Storage Manager and Java gone from the system. Make sure you don't have anything that may conflict. I do not know how an upgrade of previous MSM version will work, don't have one.

2. Install Oracle Java i586 (32 bit version).
    (My OS is x64, but I could not get the x64 version of Java to work.)

1676131596527.png

3. Choose a destination folder - during the Java installation - that will not have any spaces, in my case I chose C:\OracleJRE32
    1676131817784.png

4. After the Java installation is done, set an environment variable to aforementioned folder, call it JRE_HOME.
    1676132153059.png

5. REBOOT

6. Test with a CMD: type java -version, it should give you the installed Java environment info.
    Remember the dash before version "- version".

7. Now copy the file [javax.activation.services] in to your Java /bin/ folder, in my example C:\OracleJRE32\bin\.

8. Install MSM (yes, it's the 17.05.06.00 version)

1. I selected NO here. Don't have a running LDAP.
      1676131947675.png

2. This setting made me try twice, it worked both with 2048 and 1024.
      1676132027650.png

3. I had no reason to select anything but default here.
      1676132069964.png

4. Installation successful, no additional reboot needed.

1676132560465.png

1676132454333.png
  9. The file [javax.activation.jar] that is mentioned as a separate download is NEEDED as far as I have seen.
    Lacking this file will cause MSM to not find the server.
This concludes my experiments with this.
I shall make the files and this tutorial available on my little tech blog and my Confluence docs...

Disclaimer. There may be other ways to do this, but I have found this to be the most straightforward and simplest to achieve. Basically no coding, only knowledge of file management and environment variables required.

Last edited:

Verzhus

Apr 1, 2023
I registered just to say thank you.. beat my head against this problem for over an hour before getting this working solution!

Reactions: SecCon

SecCon

May 26, 2022
I registered just to say thank you.. beat my head against this problem for over an hour before getting this working solution!
You are most welcome. Thanks for posting and should you stumble over any other related issues, feel free to post here, maybe we can solve them together.

SecCon

May 26, 2022
oh, and thanks again, I noticed a typo in the path parameters that I have corrected.