SMB issues between napp-it and Win10 ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
So, I'm throwing this out there in hopes that someone else has fought this battle and won...

Updated my main PC Win7-64 to Win10-64 last weekend. Since then, my previously completely stable napp-it smb shares will not reconnect on reboot and I cannot access them again until I "net use * /d" all of them, reboot, and re-add them. I assumed it had something to do with my Win-10 upgrade, but jumping on my wife's laptop (it's also Win10), I get the same problems (to be fair, I think her laptop had been having issues with these shares for a while.

Running omnios 151032, and did a pkg update just now to see if a lack of update had anything to do with it, but seems not. Napp-in-one template and I think version 19.16?

typical error I get when clicking on a drive "an error occurred while reconnecting M: to \\192.168....\share Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use. The connection has not been restored.

Multiple shares out of the same server, mapped as different drive letters. I'm not doing anything weird like using different credentials for each drive map.

Can access everything no problem through an iphone on same network, so not really a napp-it problem. Just wondering if there's some weird SMB or DNS issues that napp-it/omnios might have with Windows10. This was rock solid on Win7. I've tried all the stupid "fixes" out there.... nothing works. I can ping the IP and the hostname.

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
Sheesh. OK, I may have stumbled on it. After trying 100 different tricks, this seems to have worked (or the combination of all 100 of my changes, who knows). I cleared out the mappings, then opened credentials manger, and after making sure there weren't already credentials stored there, I added a new windows credential (using the server's hostname and my share username/password). I rebooted, and added back the drive mappings with "net use drive letter: \\hostname\share /persistent:yes" It didn't ask for new credentials, and just worked. They all seem to reconnect properly again.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I have also had suddenly the same problem in Win 10 pro that I update regularly":
The local device name is already in use. The connection has not been restored. "

A workaround is to add the nas to
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
(the file is write protected, copy to desktop, edit and copy back)

ex
nas 192.168.1.2

Then map the share persistent ex as m: -> \\nas\sharename

btw:
A pkg update gives you the latest state of 151032 not the current lts 151038 or stable OmniOS 151044.
To update, switch repositories to last lts 151038, then do a pkg update and reboot.

In a second step optionally change repository to current 151044 and update, reboot. This gives you also the newest SMB v 3.1.1
You should also update napp-it ex to a newer 21.06 free that supports a current OmniOS

Last edited:

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
1. for some reason even though my router/dns-server had my napp-it server's hostname, I couldn't initially ping it from win10. I added the hostname to "hosts" and it seemingly did nothing, but that was prior to me rebooting the server, so I can't 100% say it didn't work, but after I added it to "hosts" it didn't seem to improve for me.

2. I'm contemplating an upgrade on omnios and napp-it. It's pretty stable, and 32->38 or 44 isn't too much of a stretch?
3. is the napp-it upgrade first, or the omnios upgrade first?
4. Anything new/better for the average bloke to want in the upgrade? Did that windows-indexing thing ever make it to SMB? I think it was a samba thing way back and not sure if it ever got incorporated.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
1. for some reason even though my router/dns-server had my napp-it server's hostname, I couldn't initially ping it from win10. I added the hostname to "hosts" and it seemingly did nothing, but that was prior to me rebooting the server, so I can't 100% say it didn't work, but after I added it to "hosts" it didn't seem to improve for me.

2. I'm contemplating an upgrade on omnios and napp-it. It's pretty stable, and 32->38 or 44 isn't too much of a stretch?
3. is the napp-it upgrade first, or the omnios upgrade first?
4. Anything new/better for the average bloke to want in the upgrade? Did that windows-indexing thing ever make it to SMB? I think it was a samba thing way back and not sure if it ever got incorporated.
Settings in etc/hosts have priority over a DNS server and work without DNS. It may be that you need a reboot.
Update from 032->038 lts and optionally then 044 is a quite troublefree.
If you do not update napp-it, you get some errors ex in menu Users (Tty.io) but you can update later
Newer OmniOS gives new features and bug and security fixes, for details see Release Notes