Small tech tray for IKEA's Helmer cabinet (low cost renderfarm/cluster)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Spotswood

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
All of the server backplanes are way too long for the depth of a drawer, which is only ~15.25-inches.

The height of the AXX4DRV3G hotswap requires three drawers.

What about rotating it sideways? or are they taller than a drawer is wide(they might be from the picture i don't have dimensions in front of me)
I think 2.5 drives are a better fit for something like this especially with the density of seagate 4tb drives. something like this might be a good fit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392074

Reactions: Spotswood

Spotswood

What about rotating it sideways? or are they taller than a drawer is wide(they might be from the picture i don't have dimensions in front of me)
I think 2.5 drives are a better fit for something like this especially with the density of seagate 4tb drives. something like this might be a good fit
VANTEC MRK-M2512T Aluminum Mobile Rack 12 bays - Newegg.com
Yep, it fit sideways, no problem.

Its funny how you guys want everything super dense. Otherwise, your like "Pfffft, why bother. "

Scott_Paladin

Jun 6, 2016
www.scottpaladin.com
Spotswood, this project of yours is pretty fantastic. My back of the envelope math would indicate that one might be able to do a single drawer unit with an m-itx board and 4-6 LFF drives (not hotswappable) if you used something like a pico-psu. Any chance something like this might actually work?

Spotswood

Spotswood, this project of yours is pretty fantastic. My back of the envelope math would indicate that one might be able to do a single drawer unit with an m-itx board and 4-6 LFF drives (not hotswappable) if you used something like a pico-psu. Any chance something like this might actually work?
Thanks.

Four drives might work, but 6 would be too much:

Reactions: Scott_Paladin