Small tech tray for IKEA's Helmer cabinet (low cost renderfarm/cluster)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Spotswood

Patrick had asked me for something like this quite a while ago...So, here's a modular tech tray (drawer replacement) for IKEA's Helmer cabinet.

The existing drawer front is attached to the tray via the handle.

Its completely modular, so you can adjust the final placement of all of the flat bars.

Top:

Bottom:

There's room for three 80mm fans (two in the front and one in the back).

The trays are tiny, but one can hold 2x 5.25-inch drives (for more storage).

Multiple trays can be attached to each other, to form a single large "drawer."

This is the least expensive solution for a DIY renderfarm available today.
Some more info here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckleb

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
how much?

and how about a 2 drawer variant where the top is for storage disks?

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
How about having the HD on their sides, hanging from the top. Should be able to do more than 6 HD in a drawer

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
looks like that is in the doable but not recommended category. time to checkout the low power 2.5" drives for future servers.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
Do these come assembled? They look like they have more parts than the helmer.

hillbear

Jan 21, 2015
I'm curious if two drawers would be tall enough to have something similar to a mini Backblaze (hard drives standing upright plus the necessary supports)? If so, how many do you think could fit?

hillbear

Jan 21, 2015
18 sounds promising! Would there be enough support between all those drives to make it sturdy? Could I see a top-down view?

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
You'd still need vibration dampening and a way to attach the drives IMO. When is all of this helmer stuff available?

hillbear

Jan 21, 2015
You'd still need vibration dampening and a way to attach the drives IMO. When is all of this helmer stuff available?
That's what I was curious about when I mentioned the drive support. Maybe 12 drives in the configuration would provide enough room for mounting and support.