Small tech tray for IKEA's Helmer cabinet (low cost renderfarm/cluster)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Are new designs still being developed? something intended to take 8+ 2.5 drives with the new 15mm 4tb models we've been playing with would make a very attractive media/storage solution.

Awesomesauce

Apr 20, 2016
You can fit five 5.25-inch devices in a two drawer high case.

A three drawer high case would make for a pretty awesome rig:

No i think for high density storage array, we can build a mini Backblaze storage pods. Can we have like 5 pods for 5 drawers and 1 drawers for host computer?

Apr 13, 2016
Texas
I'm not familiar with these drawer solutions, but they look awesome. One question I have is how smooth the drawers operate, particularly when closing. With drawers I'm familiar with, I'd be hugely concerned with opening/closing with rotational HDDs running - the mechanical shock impulse would be very problematic on them. Do these have some sort of dampening solution in place to prevent shocks?

Ozymand

Oct 17, 2014
Anything that would allow easy swapping would be great
I wonder if you could vertically mount some 5.25" to 3.5" hot-swap bays to get your ease of mount. Using a mITX or uATX you could fit the motherboard in-front of the power supply and that'd could give you a lot of space up top to mount multiple converters.

Spotswood

I wonder if you could vertically mount some 5.25" to 3.5" hot-swap bays to get your ease of mount. Using a mITX or uATX you could fit the motherboard in-front of the power supply and that'd could give you a lot of space up top to mount multiple converters.
I had thought about that, but was concerned about airflow. Although, I could include some modified converters ?

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I had thought about that, but was concerned about airflow. Although, I could include some modified converters ?
If you were designing and entire cabinet for storage you could to a Top>bottom airflow with an intake fan at the top and an exhaust at the bottom pulling air down through all the drives and then out so the standard fans on the converters wouldn't be a problem, a pair of large case fans(one in one out) should do the trick if it's just drives.

For a single drawer of storage(for a render farm or similar) could you just use a duct to redirect the air out the back?

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Why you you try and fight natural thermal direction by trying to push warm air down? Put a dust filter on the bottom and suck cold air up, vent the warm air up. Much, MUCH more effective
As long as the CFM is sufficient to remove the heat the direction doesn't matter and I highly doubt harddrives put off enough heat to cause substantial air movement on their own to cause problems in this instance.

Reactions: Spotswood

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Can you design something that takes each drawer and kind of emulates the concept of "top-down" storage chassis? In my head I'm thinking of that monster HGST chassis that's in the deals section and also the "Storinator" chassis that come in 30/45/60 drive configs.

Basically each drawer would house however many 3.5" drives you could fit top down in an optimal config. The "floor" of each drawer would have a backplane mounted. I'm thinking of a Supermicro 846 TQ direct-attach backplane mounted to the floor with standoffs and the "front" of the backplane facing up so that drives just sit down on top of it. I don't have the dimensions of that backplane off hand though.

I saw in another post you mentioned AXX4DRV3G , maybe a few of those could be snugly fit in each drive in a top-down config?

I'd be highly interested in whatever there is available. I know Intel makes a 6-bay version of that as well.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Lots of 3.5" drives get really heavy. More than 24 of them probably overwhelms the drawers structural capacity pretty quickly.

Same idea with 2.5 inch backplane (SC216 backplane) could be much more interesting. Especially with 4tb drives available (yeah, I know, they are seagate and slow). Plus you get much easier support for SSD.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Yeah - I agree the 836 is nice too (16 bays in 3u). They are just hard to find with direct attach backplanes. If the expander doesn't bother you they are great too (just make sure it is the SAS2 ezpander).

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
The 836 direct attach backplanes are plentiful on eBay but they are not the SAS version they use sata connectors which is fine with me. Tq versions tend to be on the lower range of cost.