Silent J1900 PFSense box eBay (4x cores and 4x intel ethernet)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
For what it's worth, some of the previous generation AMD stuff fits the bill with low power consumption and AES-NI capability. The E1-2100 processor was meant for low end netbooks but found its way into some tiny motherboards with a good deal of functionality, such as these:

ECS KBN-I/2100 V1.1 SERIES AMD E1-2100 APU DDR3 MINI-ITX MOTHERBOARD COMBO KIT | eBay

You can find used ones without the IO shield for even cheaper. I have one, and I spent some time a while back tinkering with PFSense on it using an Intel quad-port NIC (HP NC364T to be specific) and it seemed to work well. That project got sort of sidelined, but my initial thoughts were positive.

There might be similar systems based on the SOCs that succeeded that line, but I haven't looked for a while.
Great find! I’ve a dual port nic and the like waiting for this.
What are people doing for itx cases?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Now , You have me thinking.
There are AMD AM1 socket that also support AES-NI , Fry's electronic were selling $30-$35 combo CPU and MB.

Pair it with a $25 Intel IBM 49Y4242 Quad Port (T340-4 ).

I have a bunch of the AM1 boards , I may give it a run when I have time.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
i grabbed an AM1 combo deal @ Micro Center years ago and been running pfsense with an Intel Quad Port card. Works great and more than enough for home use.

Reactions: Marsh

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
For what it's worth, some of the previous generation AMD stuff fits the bill with low power consumption and AES-NI capability. The E1-2100 processor was meant for low end netbooks but found its way into some tiny motherboards with a good deal of functionality, such as these:

ECS KBN-I/2100 V1.1 SERIES AMD E1-2100 APU DDR3 MINI-ITX MOTHERBOARD COMBO KIT | eBay

You can find used ones without the IO shield for even cheaper. I have one, and I spent some time a while back tinkering with PFSense on it using an Intel quad-port NIC (HP NC364T to be specific) and it seemed to work well. That project got sort of sidelined, but my initial thoughts were positive.

There might be similar systems based on the SOCs that succeeded that line, but I haven't looked for a while.
Wow, that's great info. I also snapped one of this when Newegg was dumping it for like $20 a piece AR (don't remember exact cost after rebate). I just couldn't find it supports AES-NI on it's spec sheet. Now I might build one for my parents home.

SeanFi

Aug 7, 2015
They're nifty little things to be sure. I think I paid ~$30 after rebate for mine a few years back. I literally had to buy it just because, and only afterwards tried to think of use cases. It would be neat to dig around and see what was made with more recent silicon!

It seems like AMD caught a lot of flak over the whole Bulldozer thing, and got some credit for their mainline APUs, but nobody really paid much attention to some of the more obscure APU/SOC's they put together. It seems like they don't gimp them as bad as the lower end Intel chips so you get nice features sometimes!

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
I wonder how these would handle a 1GB home connection over an openvpn tunnel with only 2 cores? I have a C2758 right now and can get the CPU usages up to about 18% over just 150Mb home connection using openvpn.

Nnyan

Mar 5, 2012
At this point, I would not get anything that doesn't support AES-NI. Even if OPNSense doesn't require it the performance gains (for certain use) is worth it. Up until relatively recently, I have been using Dell Optiplex Micros or USFF units 3/7/9020s for budget boxes or finding a J4205 mobo/CPU combo (typically around $100) and building a router out of that.

I've made the switch to the Qotom's revised box (Q355G4) which comes with a Core i5-5250U and 4 Intel i211-AT NICs. You can typically pick these up for about $200 bare or around $300 with ram/SSD. Unfortunately most of the ones I found limit the ram to 8GB (CPU can support up to 16gb) so it limits the fact that these support VT-d, VT-x, EPT.

The bonus is that this is a 15w CPU that supports AES-NI and performance wise spanks the J4205 and J1800/J1900s.

Nnyan

Mar 5, 2012
AMD has shipped AES-NI in every processor family starting with Bulldozer in 2011 is my understanding.

Reactions: gigatexal

Nnyan

Mar 5, 2012
I've used both of those cases and they are solid with their own quirks. I like the 557 a bit better but the M350 has multiple versions. Check out the MITXPC MX500 that's another fav of mine. These aren't as nice as the Fractal Design Node 202 or the Silverstone RVZ01 but then those are much more expensive.

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
I just think with buying the motherboard, case, ram, ssd and extra nic (for some of the single port boards) you end up paying a lot anyways so may as well look at pre made solutions. But for some putting it all together is part of the experience right?

Reactions: gigatexal

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I do not disagree with you about cost.

But Ebay sometimes surprise me , regarding M350 case , sometime back, there was seller with a ton of
ITX 350 case with free shipping for $50, the catch is that the M350 case came with a I5-3470K cpu and ITX systemboard,
and 4 gb ram.

I was in a situation that only want the case but did not want dis-assemble the entire system.
So I ended up buying a mitx case from Newegg.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Good news, we raised $130 for people at Texas.
Thank you from bottom of my heart.

I have one more board.
If you donate $30, I'll pay shipping.

Reactions: gbeirn

Marsh

May 12, 2013
@gbeirn

Thank you.
It really make me feel good.
I made a cash donation to Red Cross, but these feels different (better).

Please pm me your address.
I'll test the board before sending it out on Monday.

Reactions: gbeirn