Silent J1900 PFSense box eBay (4x cores and 4x intel ethernet)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Really would like to find A2SDi-4C-HLN4F in stock, want to play around with one :) for a basic home storage, and security mgt seems like nice low power solution for 8x drives w/out more power :)
8C+ seems maybe possible, $430 or so ??

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
$275 isn't $430 ??? Not sure what you're getting at...
Yes I know I was just saying if your really keen the 8-core seems to be available.

Some people wile say sure for a little fun its only $150 more others say no way I will pay that much. Just thought it may be an option.

Actually to me the 4 & 8 cores are the sweet models, the higher core counts are very pricy I think. I just don't know how the 2M cache vs 1M cache on these smaller core count systems will benefit performance.

gbeirn

Jun 23, 2016
Well thanks to @Marsh I got and setup one of those dual core AMD boards. Dual port Intel NIC came in yesterday. Had a mini itx case, 8GB DDR3 and Intel SSD laying around, got pfsense installed but it will have to wait until late night this weekend to swap from out current pfsense box. We'll see how it works with 1Gb fiber.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
@gberin
Please keep us post on the result.

I have 2 more ECS board , I would do the same for folks in Florida.

Reactions: Evan

realtomatoes

Oct 3, 2016
apologies, don't mean to hi-jack the thread.
i was tinkering with sophos utm and sophos xg yesterday when i recalled this thread. this hardware might also be a cool xg or UTM.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Yep, any of the higher spec systems should also work great for Sophos.

I haven't had much chance to play with the firewalls I started to play with a weeks ago. Busy busy.

Cheddoleum

Feb 19, 2014
I spent a lot of time looking at these, the Zotacs which have N3150+ CPUs with AES-NI and dual SO-DIMM slots allowing dual-channel operation but Realtek PHYs and buggy BIOSen that never get updated before going NLS. The Qotom and similar via Amazon and AliExpress etc. with the inevitable J1900 and 4 i211 NICs but quality control problems, long shipping times and single DIMM slots, etc.

In the end I just a picked up a new, cheap because it's now rather dated, Intel DQ77KB ThinITX server board, in part because I had a leftover 65W Sandy Bridge i5-2500S and 8GB worth of compatible SODIMMs, all left over from upgrading my 2011 iMac. And a compatible 90w DC PS reclaimed from a long-obsolete HP laptop. Run it caseless on a baseplate hacked out of an old box, stuck a quad-NIC board in the PCIe slot anchored with a handmade bracket and now I have a general purpose 6 Intel NIC networking appliance that's just crazy overpowered for any networking VPN multiwan teleworking scenario I can throw at it -- and damn if it doesn't get intricate given some of my clients -- and still only pulls 25 watts typical. Yes, that's more than 3w but still only half of what I save on any given LED lightbulb over the incandescent it replaced...

Cheddoleum

Feb 19, 2014
ISTR it was right around $100 shipped. I realize now it was a bit over a year ago, and looking around you don't seem to be able to get them for that anymore; though I've only spent a few seconds looking. I guess it's inevitable for an NLS Sandy/Ivy Bridge board, the processor line hasn't been current for 5 years and sooner or later the stocks were going to run out. It was a great way to build up a nearly ideal device out of stuff I already had.

0x00

May 15, 2017
Personally, I think the Gigabyte MA10-ST0 looks great too, and I'm looking forward to seeing an in-depth technical comparison between the two. It also has 32 MB onboard eMMC so you can install your OS onto it without using up a SATA port or worrying about a USB stick or USBDOM, etc. It also comes with a stock fan.
I wonder when it's going to start shipping, not seeing any prices yet either..

Really would like to find A2SDi-4C-HLN4F in stock, want to play around with one :) for a basic home storage, and security mgt seems like nice low power solution for 8x drives w/out more power :)
ATIC Computers - $355 CAD, or ~$290 USD.

PRODUCTS - ~$275USD

The Qotom and similar via Amazon and AliExpress etc. with the inevitable J1900 and 4 i211 NICs but quality control problems, long shipping times and single DIMM slots, etc.
Qotom's shipping was fast for me. Took ~3 days to ship out my order, and 2 days to arrive in Toronto from Hong Kong.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Not really a "deal" per se, but in my searching for things PF, I discovered that there is a device that can meet these requirements...

APU.2C4 Quad Core Board with 3 Intel Gig LAN, 2 miniPCIe, 1 mSATA

4 core, 4gb ram, with....

AES-NI support.

Runs on about 6w and just needs a 12V wall wart and an enclosure, and a storage device (USB, SD card, or mSATA). Add a laptop wifi card if you want it to be an AP too.

I'm not totally sold on why I need PF at all over DDWRT, but if I do take the plunge it'll probably be something like this.

I also have an itx Sandy Bridge mobo with an unknown low power processor on it that's stuck in a boot loop (never displays any graphics). I'm too lazy to take off the heatsink to see what model the proc is, if I can ever get that dang thing fixed I'll put PF on it if it's got AES.

Other option is to buy a cheap laptop and add a USB Ethernet adapter.

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
The PCSystems APU's have been mentioned several times already. They are optimal IMO, I have 2 boards of previous generation (without AES-NI) and another one from 2008 (even older generation) still running. They are just great.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Whoops. Sorry about that. I probably found out about it from this thread and simply forgot...

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
You need something like Atom C2558 if you are going to do gigabit routing. For NAT it is single threaded so higher clock speed is better.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
You need something like Atom C2558 if you are going to do gigabit routing. For NAT it is single threaded so higher clock speed is better.

NAT may be single threaded but that's per connection right??? And each connection can utilize more threads? Or single process hit for NAT with what could be a queue on large/utilized connections?

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I think that, unless you're building an enterprise system, pretty much all home NAS/backup solutions all come back to this.
I'd heard compatibility issues with usb adapters.

For home use I think you are better off getting a LGA1155 SFF unit ~$100, add a Intel dual port NIC and call it a day. Just need to make sure processor has AES-NI.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk