Silent J1900 PFSense box eBay (4x cores and 4x intel ethernet)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
But not AES-NI
Which is the major downside for things like pfsense

16gb ram although not official can also work in some systems

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
Huh. These seem to be great for our dhcp/dns infrastructure. Do you know about similar product with IPMI?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Supermicro has some boards that have IPMI but cost the $$, IPMI also adds ~5 watts to the idle power.

Netgate do have some systems with only serial interface.
Netgate Linux Systems
But again expensive

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
Biostar has some mini ITX with AMD CPU , with AES-NI support up to 32GB ram and PCIe Slot. ( for a Quad Port Intel NIC)

Reactions: gigatexal

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Some fanless i3/i5/i7 options around with multiple intel NIC now as well and these support 32gb DDR4 ram.
And of course the c2000/c3000 options.
Just comes down to needs and cost etc

tullnd

Apr 19, 2016
USA
The no AES-NI thing is a problem since it's required in future versions of pfsense. I think you'll see a lot of these boards get cheaper. If you plan on staying with 2.4 or running another product though, it could be an option.

Reactions: reginaldreed

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
The no AES-NI thing is a problem since it's required in future versions of pfsense. I think you'll see a lot of these boards get cheaper. If you plan on staying with 2.4 or running another product though, it could be an option.
OPNsense comes to mind. I guess I need to read up more on the AES-NI req and PFSense some more as I clearly missed something.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Cloud hosting the configuration UI for my FIREWALL?!? Ummm.... just.. no.

At least, not the first version. Not for my firewall. I'll let someone else wander the internet with their pants around their ankles. :)

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
well crap -- I don't like blazing my own trails all that much -- especially if I am going to try selling and supporting firewalls for people (a side gig I am trying to start up as part of a larger consulting thing) so AES-NI it is.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
the second link with AC wifi would be perfect. I bet the wireless chip is replaceable, and at < 250 usd that's really neat.
Habey is norco
The wireless is a m.2 card, replaceable.

http://www.habeyusa.com/products/bis-6862/

Good thing about core is the per core IPC and bigger memory support etc.
I am very temped to buy to try it out. I have a spare 8G ddr4 sodimm and think I have an m.2 sata around as well so pretty cheap build.

wiretap

Jul 14, 2015
Michigan
the second link with AC wifi would be perfect. I bet the wireless chip is replaceable, and at < 250 usd that's really neat.
I have that same Jetway NUC. The WiFi is replaceable with a mini-PCIe card. However, pfSense doesn't support 802.11ac add-in cards. It's never really a good option to run WiFi off your firewall anyway. Just setup a port or VLAN for wireless access points and you'll get much better coverage and performance.

Also beware that those NUCs are very picky with RAM. I had to try 3 different kits before I found one that worked. I ended up using Crucial CT51264BF160B. Tried Corsair Vengeance, Kingston HyperX, and G.Skill Ripjaws that wouldn't even boot.

SeanFi

Aug 7, 2015
For what it's worth, some of the previous generation AMD stuff fits the bill with low power consumption and AES-NI capability. The E1-2100 processor was meant for low end netbooks but found its way into some tiny motherboards with a good deal of functionality, such as these:

ECS KBN-I/2100 V1.1 SERIES AMD E1-2100 APU DDR3 MINI-ITX MOTHERBOARD COMBO KIT | eBay

You can find used ones without the IO shield for even cheaper. I have one, and I spent some time a while back tinkering with PFSense on it using an Intel quad-port NIC (HP NC364T to be specific) and it seemed to work well. That project got sort of sidelined, but my initial thoughts were positive.

There might be similar systems based on the SOCs that succeeded that line, but I haven't looked for a while.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Wow, few years back , I got 5 of these ECS boards for $25 each while they were dumping it.

You mean there is a actual use case now.