Should I be ashamed of myself?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
A few days ago I was surfing eBay and stumbled upon a 6TB Seagate HD for $61 with free shipping. I knew it had to be a pricing error but thought WTF. They honored the deal, it arrived today. It's the retail box version with cables. And the seller is non other than.........

Best Buy.

It wasn't up very long and disappeared before me, and apparently everyone else could spread the word. I got receipts, and screen shots. Looks like 4 other lucky people got in on the deal as far as I can tell.

Should I be ashamed?

CapBESTBUYture corgrgrpy.jpg

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Ashamed - no. It's actually quite honorable of Best Buy to respect the sale. eBay makes it far to easy for sellers to back out on deals based on 'listing errors'. I don't usually have much good to say about Best Buy but props to them. And congrats to you.

Reactions: MiniKnight

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Seems like some guy got lucky to buy a handful and is now reselling them on eBay.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
@FMA1394 Not sure I have a few seagates that have been running well for a few years now. Maybe new product sucks but the ones I have don't
Having owned seagates for years and years, the only ones I had that never died were ST2000DM001 drives. ST4000DM000, ST31500341AS, ST31500541AS are the other desktop drives I've had from them and ALL of them failed (prematurely, ofc)--about half of them more than once. It got to the point where I could have spent the money I spent on shipping instead of on a WD Black that never ever would have left me hanging.

Although I sold off my ST2000DM001 drives, I do have a ST4000VN000 that I'm rolling the dice on. Maybe it will actually last through the three years of warranty.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
We all have our preferred brands and experiences working with them. Personally, having experience with hundreds if not thousands of enterprise seagate drives at work as well as quite a few drives at home, I buy nothing but seagate for home use and my failure rate is very reasonable. I did have 4 or 5 1TB drives die on me all within a few-month timespan a few years back, but that was after they had all been running 24x7 for many years and were due to be replaced with larger capacity anyways. I've only had a single 2TB green drive fail (still have 5 more running), and all of my 4's have never had an issue.

IMHO Seagate has had an un-deserved bad reputation ever since the firmware bug way back in the 750GB/1TB days, and I'll keep buying their products.

Reactions: T_Minus