EU Seagate Backup Plus 5TB 2.5" external HDD - EUR 135

Discussion in 'Great Deals' started by dtrv, Jan 7, 2018.

1. dtrv

dtrv Member

2. anoother

anoother Member

3. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Why?
    Are those not shuck-able?

4. dtrv

dtrv Member

I use 4 of those in my home nas (2 mirrored vdevs, 24/7, SmartOS) and can't say anything bad - except that i do not have any warranty anymore.

Gesendet von meinem ONE E1003 mit Tapatalk

5. anoother

anoother Member

There's a thread on the 4TB versions. I have 3 of them. Personally I've found performance to border on unusable for 'normal' disk purposes. Some people may disagree, that's fine.

6. Wilko Apperloo

Wilko Apperloo New Member

In that same thread of the 4TB versions these 5TB disks are mentioned as far better disks. These contain Seagate Barracuda 5TB disks.

7. Lennong

Lennong Member

It is still a SMR disk. Pretty useless for anything but cold storage or then the intended usage..

8. Churchill

Churchill Admiral

As someone who owns the 4TB (got rid of them) and 5TB (8 of them) disks as above I agree with everyone here when I say these drives are HORRIBLE for anything besides slow, cold storage. Using them for anything other than the last haul of a backup is asking for hair pulling migraines. You'll get KILLER performance at first 200MB/s speed! "MY GOD THESE ARE AMAZING!" you'll say in joy. Then when the next platter hits the drives crash down to 12-15MB/s and you are begging, pleading, imploring with the array to go faster.

I use these for my offsite backup array, I don't care how long it takes for them to finish, it sits in the corner, when done then I take it somewhere else for a month to store it and then next month i'll bring it back to receive updates.

hmartin likes this.
  9. Biznatch

Biznatch New Member

I have 6- 4TB drives in a Z2 array, and they will chug away at 30-35MB/s each during transfers. With an intel 3500 sitting in front as a cache drive, I can almost saturate my 10g lan with large transfers. Would love to get 6 of the 5TB to add another Z2 array, since my current is ~60% full (media storage).

10. hmartin

hmartin Active Member

Thanks, bought one. My use case is also backups where I don't care much about the performance.