SanDisk CloudSpeed Eco 1.92TB 2.5" SATA $120

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
Unfortunately, always a risk with used parts. I've only had one issue with an enterprise samsung that performed at much lower level than benchmarks suggested but seller took it back no questions asked. I've had no issues with drives I've bought new, at least not in the first year of service - seagate 3TB comes to mind.
Indeed. You have to know before going into buying used hard drives that it's a risk you're willing to take even if the seller says it's been tested. Just part of the bargain hunt for enterprise stuff.

Reactions: Samir

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
One pet peeve of mine is seller who proudly proclaims TESTED and says nothing about the test results. :mad:
Yea I don't like that either. But at this point, I never trust those anyway. I just look to see if there's a return policy in place with eBay. They have gotten really good about protecting buyers. It's just a matter of how much time you want to spend testing the stuff after receiving it.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
. The seller notified me that they found similar issues with a few other drives and asked if I would want to keep the remaining two or send them back. The two I had left were both 96% life but one had SMART errors relating to erase issues two years into its run time. I decided that it wasn't worth the deal that I received and just sent them all back for a full refund.
thanks for updating us on the due diligence!

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
There are several hundred of these for sale now for just 47 USD each, some even has best offers. Ive bought 20 of these and every one of them has been working great. For this price, you get a pretty awesome SATA enterprise ssd, and its easy to update to latest firmware.

I've done some benchmarks, and the fsync latency is pretty good on these drives. But I mostly use them for special metadata device, and stores small blocks up to 8kb. This really helps increasing the performance of a big ZFS pool.

Reactions: abq and Samir

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
There are several hundred of these for sale now for just 47 USD each, some even has best offers. Ive bought 20 of these and every one of them has been working great. For this price, you get a pretty awesome SATA enterprise ssd, and its easy to update to latest firmware.
How much did you buy at?

Ive seen a few 46-50$ listings and been tempted to make some offers in the 25-28$ area.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

I've done some benchmarks, and the fsync latency is pretty good on these drives. But I mostly use them for special metadata device, and stores small blocks up to 8kb. This really helps increasing the performance of a big ZFS pool.
Great to hear the prices dropping. :) Any particular sellers/links?

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
When searching "1.6tb ssd" on ebay, there are so many price tag as < $100. Is there anything wrong on the enterprise ssds?

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
When searching "1.6tb ssd" on ebay, there are so many price tag as < $100. Is there anything wrong on the enterprise ssds?
Compared to consumer drives--nope. Just watch the interface as many will probably be sas vs sata.

Reactions: newabc

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Generally they will have been ran 3-4,5years with symbolic write or be unused spares.
Either way their warranty/support are expired so they will dump them and get new for next cycle of servers.

By expected lifespan/durability it would be fine to run them another cycle, but to have them in production without support is not.

Reactions: Samir and newabc

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
I'd say due to nand flash market crash recently.
Consumer grade ssds' prices are crashing. That causes the 2nd hand ssds' ones crash, too.
I think your and Samir's replies are the ones most closed to some news reports I have read in recent weeks.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Just a big price drop for NAND everywhere over the last year.

Prices actually seem to be dropping faster on new kit right now than used stuff. In fact, I've seen a juicy price on a used enterprise SSD, but then realize that it's priced similarly to a new consumer model. Different intended uses, but I would probably get the new consumer item if my needs resembled a consumer.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015

I got some of these and some are showing 95 days life left, not sure if that's legit or a Sandisk thing.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I got some of these and some are showing 95 days life left, not sure if that's legit or a Sandisk thing.
If you're using HD Sentinel I gotta say it's a garbage program and you can ignore what it says about the health of a SSD. I have an Intel DC S3700 400GB drive that Intels's own software says has 40% life left and HD Sentinel says 100%. I have a 4TB spinner drive that HD Sentinel says has zero health left, back up and replace immediately. No other SW says this drive is bad and it's been functioning normally for the last 4 years. And as far as drive info is concerned, HD Sentinel displays mostly irrelevant and useless info and it does so inconsistently. For example, sometimes it will tell you what the drive interface is, SATA or SAS, and sometimes it doesn't. And most of the info is not available or N/A.

And don't even get me started on SMART data accuracy fo SSD's.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: zac1 and Samir

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
If you're using HD Sentinel I gotta say it's a garbage program and you can ignore what it says about the health of a SSD. I have an Intel DC S3700 400GB drive that Intels's own software says has 40% life left and HD Sentinel says 100%. I have a 4TB spinner drive that HD Sentinel says has zero health left, back up and replace immediately. No other SW says this drive is bad and it's been functioning normally for the last 4 years. And as far as drive info is concerned, HD Sentinel displays mostly irrelevant and useless info and it does so inconsistently. For example, sometimes it will tell you what the drive interface is, SATA or SAS, and sometimes it doesn't. And most of the info is not available or N/A.

And don't even get me started on SMART data accuracy fo SSD's.
yeah, it said something like it was based on ssd indicators\parameters (forget exact words) seemed odd, the drives have 300-500TBW so not heavily used vs 2PB

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015

whats your full zfs config you're utilizing with these drives, curious how it's all setup :)
Thnx

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
got some of these and some are showing 95 days life left, not sure if that's legit or a Sandisk thing.
Maybe they self destruct in a puff of smoke? But, I hope not as I just put an offer in on some.

yeah, it said something like it was based on ssd indicators\parameters (forget exact words) seemed odd, the drives have 300-500TBW so not heavily used vs 2PB
I have some drives that were poorly cabled in a poorly thought out homelab system (darn operator error) resulting in tons of timeouts. That system is gone and the drives are in different systems, but I still get "failing drive replace now!!!!" warnings from some programs because of the historical timeouts. Gives me a blood pressure spike every time until I look at the details.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I am thinking about buying 4 or 8 SSD for a media stoarge NAS.
How much was the offer price?