Samsung NVMe drivers for MS Windows Server 2016 ?

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by TedB, Mar 6, 2017.

1. TedB

TedB Member

Does anybody know how to get or how to install Samsung NVMe drivers for MS Windows Server 2016 ?

Samsung support webpage offers NVMe drivers version 2.1 for Windows 10, while installing on MS Windows Server 2016 it complains that's not supported OS. Tried to extract files from the .exe however managed to get just number of oddly named files, by examining content some text (like eula, xml, etc.) others binary.

MS Windows Server 2016 has native NVMe driver which works, however performance is not what I would expect and also smartctl is not supported. Googling several pages has pointed out that Samsung NVMe driver should rectify both of these issues.

2. Tom5051

Tom5051 Active Member

Are you using the 64bit drivers on 2016? Odd because they should work.

3. TedB

TedB Member

Yes. I have downloaded Samsung NVMe Drivers version 2.1 from Samsung Support website and they are being designated for Windows 7/8/10. So they should work, however installer complains that the host os is not supported.

I have managed to get a ZIP file (no installer) from some driver aggregation page, version 2.4.7 and just right click, install and it worked. System reports them as Samsung NVMe drivers. I don't like to download drivers from third party sites however I wasn't able to find them on Samsung site.

However I don't see much difference in performance but smartctl data is being returned now. Great !

I used diskspd to run numerous test with different variables and there is not much difference in throughput or iops compared to native Microsoft NVMe drivers.

4. intrasight

intrasight New Member

Hey, I'm in the same boat. I tried installing Samsung driver v 2.2 and got the "Samsung NVM Express Driver cannot be installed on this operating system" message. Wondered if you have any followup results or advice.

My Samsung 960 Pro is giving lousy results (Seqential Read 1800) with the Microsoft driver and I am considering options - including switching to Windows 10 (I used Windows Server 2016 to avoid all the bloatware that comes with Windows 10)

5. Vidmo

Vidmo New Member

Hi All,
    I just reinstalled my Server 2016 from scratch and ran into the same thing, but I found a workaround.

Install the Samsung NVMExpress Driver Rev 1.1 first as it does not have the Windows version check in it. After you install that version then you can install any later versions as the installer checks to see if an older version of the NVMExpress Driver has been installed before anything else. When installing a newer version (like 2.3) the installer sees the Rev 1.11 driver so its skips the OS check and you're good to go from there.

If anyone needs the 1.1 driver revision, just let me know.

Vidmo

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  6. StevenDTX

StevenDTX Active Member

7. TedB

TedB Member

In the end we have decided to sell all of the samsung nvme drives due to these driver problems.

8. StevenDTX

StevenDTX Active Member

Whatcha got for sale?

9. Herman F.

Herman F. New Member

Hi Vidmo,

I still looking for a working driver for the Samsung 960 EVO in my Windows Server 2016. Can you help e with this. Aswell the Net and Samsung it self are giving me a headache!

Thanks in advance,
    Herman F.

10. Vidmo

Vidmo New Member

11. moblaw

moblaw Member

#10 link is dead. I'm still having some issues with samsung nvme in 2016. but the default MS driver works. Although it's probably not the best.

12. Myth

Myth New Member

yeah I can't find that SAMSUNG link either. v1.1 driver. I can't find it anywhere.