Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
For WiFi 5 definitively.
Nowadays, R650/750 also is an option for home if WiFi 6 is what you want. I got a R750 for a reasonable price and sold my R710.
If the extra cost isn't a problem then I love my R650s. There is a noticeable performance bump from the R710. Also the R710 is EOL in a few weeks, along with all other WiFi5 APs, so it's more of a short-medium term AP purchase.

For me, the R730 has performed better than the R650. But other users have had issues with them, so at $90 it's either a bargain or a lemon. A couple of R710s at $50 each is safer.

Last edited:

ZOMGVTEK

Oct 31, 2023
I think the R750 is the next up sensible upgrade from the 710s at the current market prices. My vote would be R710, R750, or R770 if you want to upgrade the backhaul and spend a lot with questionable long term support. If you needed encryption on the backhaul to the WAPs, or have a lot of units, the hacked 730 as master is a cheap way to get that done. But this only makes sense on older units that are a bit slower anyways. I get something like 140mbit before the R730 master runs out of CPU on a core. Presumably it can manage this into 4 WAPs at the same time, but I haven't tested that. Still plenty of oomph for a VoIP network.

The R710's are sorta a medium term WAP today. They're flooding the used market, very affordable, are quite sensitive, and sip power. I struggle to hold myself back from replacing my WAPs with 770's, but its really only so I can do a speedtest and see the number hit a few thousand. If you're being practical, the 710's are still killer WAPs today, and should be for a few years yet.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
The circumvention of the licensing system? That would be illegal and frowned upon by Ruckus given it’s a current product and more than likely abused outside of just home users. It’s just not the same and extending the life of deprecated hardware.
I use vSZ in the home and honestly unleashed has closed the gap significantly compared to several years ago and will likely close further with the introduction of dedicated controllers now.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
The circumvention of the licensing system? That would be illegal and frowned upon by Ruckus given it’s a current product and more than likely abused outside of just home users.
Yeah, we would never circumvent the licensing system to have SZ for home usage (and for shit and giggles), because that would probably be illegal :)

sth

Oct 29, 2015
I struggle to hold myself back from replacing my WAPs with 770's, but its really only so I can do a speedtest and see the number hit a few thousand.
Something I discovered when replacing R750's with R760's is WIFI6E requires the use of WPA3 and several devices I have in active service have no support for WPA3 and are not expected to be upgradable, for example, Nvidia Shields and some Brother printers. The best workaround I've found to date is to create a dedicated 6ghz SSID but this consumes additional airtime and compromises range in relation to 5ghz. Unless you have a need to be on the cutting edge I'd hang tight on R750's and wait better client compatibility for Wifi7.

Reactions: ZOMGVTEK

ZoomLenz

Feb 10, 2016
Both ports work in unleashed. The PoE port is plugged into a 2.5G switch, and reports that properly as well. I was digging around a bit, and all the options appear to be functional.

Really cool to see a sorta straightforward hack to give these aging bricks some new life. The effort put into the documentation on your website is appreciated.
Seconding the thanks! Just added a R730 pretending to be a R850 as Dedicated Master following the guide.

Only thing I added was initially installing Unleashed 200.14.6.1.199 so I could update SSH to ECDSA, then resetting and upgrading to the latest.

Reactions: ms264556

ZOMGVTEK

Oct 31, 2023
Something I discovered when replacing R750's with R760's is WIFI6E requires the use of WPA3 and several devices I have in active service have no support for WPA3 and are not expected to be upgradable, for example, Nvidia Shields and some Brother printers. The best workaround I've found to date is to create a dedicated 6ghz SSID but this consumes additional airtime and compromises range in relation to 5ghz. Unless you have a need to be on the cutting edge I'd hang tight on R750's and wait better client compatibility for Wifi7.
Yikes, this isn’t something I was aware of. I actually was just fiddling with WPA2/3 mode, and noticed I couldn't get a few devices connected anymore. One LG TV, a B9, wouldn’t connect at all. have a newer model, A2, and that connects as WPA2. I have a few other devices that are newer, and they connect fine as WPA3. Oddly, I have a few year old iPad Pro that also won’t connect at all in WPA2/3 mode. It gives some error about the channel being in use on other networks. I would think that should handle it just fine on the latest iOS...

Looks like I’ll have to sit this one out for a minute.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
I actually was just fiddling with WPA2/3 mode, and noticed I couldn't get a few devices connected anymore.
Yeah, that seems to be a pretty widespread issue...

Honestly I'd skip Wifi6E and wait for Wifi7. Ruckus seems to think the same, because Wifi6E APs are not getting Unleashed support (confirmed somewhere in the ruckus forum)

diode

Mar 13, 2023
R730 has limited Wifi6 support and was removed from SmartZone recently. It does NOT support Unleashed (you can "crossflash" it to R850 and use it as Dedicated Unleashed Master without Wifi / Radio enabled)
So that I understand this correctly, if you side load the AP with the R850 software, it will completely shut off all wireless on this device? It only then acts as an Unleashed Master and won’t be able to host any clients via WiFi?

If that’s the case, then why not just go with an R710 and use that as a master?

I’ve just started digging through the Ruckus AP material so I’m sure there’s something I’m missing.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
No. After the R850 hack & an upgrade to Unleashed you'll have a fully functional R730 including WiFi.

The R730 has a funky partial 802.11ax featureset though, so you won't get exactly the same WiFi performance as you'd get from a real R850.

But I've run the R730 as my main unleashed AP since the hack & WiFi works great - better than the R650 I had before.

What a couple of commenters have done is run Unleashed Dedicated Master on the R730. Dedicated Master gives you all the L3, tunneling, etc functionality from ZoneDirector & also gives you the ZoneDirector controller model (a primary and backup controller, rather than an election based system). Dedicated Master is not available with an R710 - you must use an R750 or R850.

ZoomLenz

Feb 10, 2016
Thanks for your help @ms264556, I was able to get a R730 up and running as an R850 for the grand total of $85 after taxes! Makes me think about dumping my unused R650 for another one or three, lol.

Also on edit, I was also able to get an XClaim Xo-1 modified to a T300 for my father-in-law's Christmas present!
The biggest thing preventing me from grabbing more R730s and replacing my R650s is the additional power requirements. I'd be replacing switches and/or getting injectors to deploy them properly.

Reactions: custom90gt

diode

Mar 13, 2023
No. After the R850 hack & an upgrade to Unleashed you'll have a fully functional R730 including WiFi.

The R730 has a funky partial 802.11ax featureset though, so you won't get exactly the same WiFi performance as you'd get from a real R850.

But I've run the R730 as my main unleashed AP since the hack & WiFi works great - better than the R650 I had before.

What a couple of commenters have done is run Unleashed Dedicated Master on the R730. Dedicated Master gives you all the L3, tunneling, etc functionality from ZoneDirector & also gives you the ZoneDirector controller model (a primary and backup controller, rather than an election based system). Dedicated Master is not available with an R710 - you must use an R750 or R850.
Meant to thank you for the reply. I was able to get the R730 flashed and am amazed at how much more coverage I get with one AP versus my three Uniquity which I have installed.

I now have two switches and two Ruckus AP which has taken my setup to a whole new level.

namezys

Jan 3, 2024
Hey. I had an issue with r730 because it constantly reconnect clients.
I tried to solve it by using Solo Ruckus r730 Solo - Issue with 802.11ax
but cross flash solved it and it works perfect.

BTW maybe somebody tried to do something with embodied zigbee controller? Using in repeater mode would be perfect.

diode

Mar 13, 2023
Hey. I had an issue with r730 because it constantly reconnect clients.
I tried to solve it by using Solo Ruckus r730 Solo - Issue with 802.11ax
but cross flash solved it and it works perfect.

BTW maybe somebody tried to do something with embodied zigbee controller? Using in repeater mode would be perfect.
Would be cool if anyone was able to get the Zigbee controller working. It seems like it would complement those who are running a Zigbee network in their home or office, for sure!