Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I couldn't get Fast BSS Transition + 802.11k Neighbor-list Report to work with WPA2/3. Never could get my ios devices to join up. On latest Ruckus firmware with R610's and R350's.
In your opinion - what's more important ? WPA2/3 or Fast BSS + 802.11k ? So does this mean we choose between security and between roaming/handoff ?

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I haven't noticed any issues with handoff walking around between two AP's, but YMMV. I'd try turning off those features and see if you notice a difference in your devices switching back and forth to the closest/best AP.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
This same issue is mentioned in the forums of most router/AP manufacturers.

It was also discussed in the RuckusWifi forum on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/RuckusWiFi/comments/tuxgyn
Since WPA3 SAE fast roaming is very poorly implemented on these older apple devices anyhow (I think up to 200ms was reported in some tests) then maybe just turn it off, or create a specific WPA2 network for old apple devices & make your main network WPA3-only?

(I have a ZoneDirector, which never seems to have received 802.11r support for WPA3. Apple devices have never had issues with WPA2/3 mixed and roaming speed hasn't been an issue).

Reactions: klui and Vesalius

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
As @ms264556 stated. iOS devices have a history of issues with mixed wpa2/wpa3 wlans and Ruckus specifically stated that in firmware releases under known issues. At some point, that statement fell off the list of known issues, but I never saw it listed as fixed. Initially, neither Fast BSS/802.11r nor 802.11k were even available whenever wpa3 was used.

I also found a mixed wpa2/wpa3 wlan to be problematic and switched to wpa3 only network for all Apple iOS, tvOS and audioOS devices without issue, but all of those were released in the last 3 years. Then a separate wpa2 network for all else. Both wpa2 and wpa3 SSID are in the same vlan on unleashed.

Reactions: klui

coxhaus

Jul 7, 2020
I run wpa2/wpa3 on my Cisco 150ax APs. The hand off is not as smooth as my old Cisco WAP581 APs. But my Cisco 150ax APs are snappier using Windows 11 wireless over Windows 10. And all my Apple devices work fine using ax. I don't have anything older than an iPhone 12. We have iPhones, iPad and MAC book. I had 9 ax devices on the last time I looked.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Is there a way in Unleashed to pin a device to a specific AP? I have an Ubiquiti camera that keeps connecting and disconnecting - I suspect this is because it’s between two APs and keeps switching maybe? I’ve already created a 2.4 GHz only WLAN and reduced transmission power for the APs by 50% but it doesn’t seem to help

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
At my wit’s end trying to debug this Unleashed problem. I have three R750’s. One of them constantly drops out with ‘heartbeat loss’ - I set the IP to static, tried some different POE settings, even connected the AP directly to the 7650 switch to rule out any faulty cables

1689018430308.jpeg

So far - nothing has made a difference. Did I just get a dud AP from ebay? Any way to debug further ?

Attachments

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Thx for the link to the page with the explanation of WiFi details. Made it easy not to buy a new r560 (450 Euros) but an used R610 for 50 Euros.

Ill get it on Friday and plan to replace an UI AP which goes on my nerves.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Same here, had nothing but trouble with my UI. They did push a lot of firmware updates, but I felt more like a beta tester with most of them as inevitably, something that previously worked would get flakey. IMHO.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Got it today. Took only some minutes to reset & install it. Great, no UniFi Network controller software anymore, no UI AP not being able to find, connect and adopt to the controller if the computer running the controller software is not named "unifi". What a simple front end, and it contains everything I need

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
At my wit’s end trying to debug this Unleashed problem. I have three R750’s. One of them constantly drops out with ‘heartbeat loss’ - I set the IP to static, tried some different POE settings, even connected the AP directly to the 7650 switch to rule out any faulty cables

So far - nothing has made a difference. Did I just get a dud AP from ebay? Any way to debug further ?
Got a H550 to replace the particular R750 and no problems at all - no heartbeat loss etc. Tried to return the AP to the eBay seller but of course he refused the return and eBay closed the return - probably should have tested more but in all fairness it's only visible in logs and it's only when you observe WLAN logs over a period of time, say 1-2 days. A rather expensive lesson learned :(

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Got a H550 to replace the particular R750 and no problems at all - no heartbeat loss etc. Tried to return the AP to the eBay seller but of course he refused the return and eBay closed the return - probably should have tested more but in all fairness it's only visible in logs and it's only when you observe WLAN logs over a period of time, say 1-2 days. A rather expensive lesson learned :(
I'm 99% sure the seller didn't know this too, so I can kinda understand him. Private seller or company?

Depending on how much time you're willing to spend on this, you could set up port mirroring and a long term wireshark capture to analyze the heartbeat packets

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I'm 99% sure the seller didn't know this too, so I can kinda understand him. Private seller or company?
serve_1223 on eBay - looks like a private seller. At some point he had 23 of the R750s. Was totally unresponsive to the return and of course eBay is pretty useless when it comes to these things

Depending on how much time you're willing to spend on this, you could set up port mirroring and a long term wireshark capture to analyze the heartbeat packets
Do you suspect something other than a hardware fault? I logged in via SSH to the AP and manually loaded a new Unleashed image + factory reset but that didn't help so I was thinking that it's more hardware related. I have a Ruckus 48v PSU on order, will try to see if somehow there's something wrong with PoE - but can definitely put the AP somewhere and grab some packets via TAP or SPAN

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Do you suspect something other than a hardware fault? I logged in via SSH to the AP and manually loaded a new Unleashed image + factory reset but that didn't help so I was thinking that it's more hardware related. I have a Ruckus 48v PSU on order, will try to see if somehow there's something wrong with PoE - but can definitely put the AP somewhere and grab some packets via TAP or SPAN
I have no idea - I mean, if the rest of the AP works fine?
Does your switch log any link state changes?

One possibility to investigate would be CPU utilisation and syslogs of the AP

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
I also would setup a linux/docker box with uptime kuma and keep pinging the box over several days to spot network isdues.