Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TonyArrr

Sep 22, 2021
Straylia
I'm working my way through the thread, but wondering if anyone knows if there is a reference guide for rkscli? I could only find the quick start and various release notes on Ruckus support. I can use autocomplete when SSH'd in of course, but its a bit messy and having something more searchable, like a PDF would be a lot easier. Would stop the SSH timeouts while I'm reading/scrolling, too. :)

I'm using a new-to-me R730 on the most "recent" standalone firmware

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I also would setup a linux/docker box with uptime kuma and keep pinging the box over several days to spot network isdues.
Awesome idea

I have no idea - I mean, if the rest of the AP works fine?
Does your switch log any link state changes?

One possibility to investigate would be CPU utilisation and syslogs of the AP
I dont see any link state changes in the switch. Nor do I see any drop events in RMON, and uptime-kuma does not give errors. In fact when one of the heartbeat loss events occured, I was pinging the particular AP and it was fine. So it's not ethernet or POE related (I am powering it via 48v DC). Checked the CPU by logging into the AP during one of these events and CPU utilization varied between 1.5% to 2.5% to 6%. Even free memory was 1,404,088 KB out of 1,736,572 KB

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
I'm glad I got a pair of R650's to replace a pair of UniFi UAP-AC-PRO units. Even for my older AC only devices, still getting 3-4x throughput in the 5Ghz band and places in my house where devices were falling back to 2.4Ghz stay on 5Ghz.

Running Unleashed just to get things up and running, but playing with a vSZ. I don't know what Ruckus put in there, but good gravy does it take forever to come online after the cut down RHEL/CentOS base boots.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
but good gravy does it take forever to come online after the cut down RHEL/CentOS base boots.
It also needs like 14GB of RAM at IDLE... doing nothing. No APs connected.

They spin up a complete Elasticsearch and Cassandra instance and other stuff...

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
I'm glad I got a pair of R650's to replace a pair of UniFi UAP-AC-PRO units. Even for my older AC only devices, still getting 3-4x throughput in the 5Ghz band and places in my house where devices were falling back to 2.4Ghz stay on 5Ghz.
Same here. Wife complained about hiccups while watching TV streams on the laptop. Machine is 5-7m away from the AP, only one wall between AP and computer. Windows showed 69% Wi-Fi strength. Using whatsapp for phone calls also were a pain. Hiccups, disconnects,.... - even while standing in front of the AP, 2m away, no wall, nothing blocking.

Sold the UI AP for 110 USD (used), bought a R610 for 60 USD (used), put it in the same place the UI was. Wi-Fi now shows 100% signal and all random hiccups are gone, on laptop and mobile phone.

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
RUCKUS Unleashed AP 200.14 GA Refresh 2 Build 200.14.6.1.203 is out.

I have noted this random rebooting with my R650/R750 APs with 200.14.6.1.199, hoping this does away with that.

Resolved Issues in Build 200.14.6.1.203
  • R650 APs are rebooting with target assert. [ER-12151]
  • Kernel panic reboot in T610 AP. [ER-12634]
  • R750 APs are rebooting with target assert. [ER-12709]
  • T350 APs are rebooting with target assert. [ER-12693]

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
I had used Ruckus 101 for my original setup and saw they had updated it so I went ahead and made some tweaks as per the latest guidance even though I'm still running R600 APs. Now my iPhones will occasionally lose WiFi connections and fall back to cellular data even though there is great WiFi coverage.

I vaguely remember observing this behavior in the early days of this setup but have forgotten the remedy.

Anyone have any ideas?

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013
Now my iPhones will occasionally lose WiFi connections and fall back to cellular data even though there is great WiFi coverage.
I vaguely remember observing this behavior in the early days of this setup but have forgotten the remedy.

Anyone have any ideas?
Are you using the function "ChannelFly" for radio control?
By enabling this function my phone also drops off from an R710 and fall back to mobile network. I use "background scanning" instead and my connection to all devices is stable.

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
Are you using the function "ChannelFly" for radio control?
By enabling this function my phone also drops off from an R710 and fall back to mobile network. I use "background scanning" instead and my connection to all devices is stable.
That is it!

I will revert the settings to background scanning when I get back home.

Thanks

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
Yeah channelfly is really aggressive about changing channels on 5ghz, reportedly it settles down after days or weeks, but I have never waited that long.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Background scanning can still bounce your channels around. My main AP was bouncing between 2 channels every few minutes because it detected interference. I now have the 5Ghz channels hardcoded (to non DFS channels) and everything is perfect.

Reactions: Vesalius

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
If you leave it on optimize for compatibility it won’t use any DFS channels, so you don’t have to lock it down. I have Channelfly for 5g and background for 2.4; both set to 300 second interval. Default was like 20.

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
Background scanning can still bounce your channels around. My main AP was bouncing between 2 channels every few minutes because it detected interference. I now have the 5Ghz channels hardcoded (to non DFS channels) and everything is perfect.
Meaning unchecking the Automatically adjust 5GHz channels box?

If you leave it on optimize for compatibility it won’t use any DFS channels, so you don’t have to lock it down. I have Channelfly for 5g and background for 2.4; both set to 300 second interval. Default was like 20.
I currently have it set to optimize for compatibility and background scanning on both bands at 300 second intervals.

Anyone allowing to automatically adjust transmit power in the presence of interference?