Replacing PWS-721-R1 Power Supply Fan with a Silent One?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Baxtmann

Aug 27, 2019
Hi, Don't know if anyone would know, but is it possible to replace the PWS-721-R1 PSU (in a supermicro case & mobo) with a quieter one? I've attempted shoring pin 17 and it does not seem to be working, so looking to get a quieter fan... but I am not sure if the power supply will allow that - or If it will make a fit not having stock fans.
Does anyone know if I can do this?
If so, anyone have any good silent fan recommendations?

Cheers,
Brandon

change_user_name

Jan 17, 2023
This is the first post I have encountered on my search for the same task. I aim for the replacement of the fans in PWS-721P-1R.
I am doing experiments with an SBB937R-E2JB (16 bay 3U JBOD) and have cut open the two top layers of metal above the drives. They are now cooled from the top with 3-6 slow-running fans. The internal 12krpm fans (wind turbines?) I have set it to 5 Volts fed from an external power supply for now. They are needed because the expander chips in each canister/tray require cooling.
The PSU fans are still quite loud. I intend to either reduce their speed or replace them.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
PSU FAN cools (most) PDB Unit. slow them down can result in overheat of PDB

change_user_name

Jan 17, 2023
I replaced one PSU with the SQ model but I am not very impressed with the noise reduction. Although, I need to compare the PSU noise reduction without any addtl. white noise from other sources, I expected night and day differences after reading various posts online. The other Internal fans are already running at 5V instead of 12V but still remain the biggest contributor to noise.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Most likely, it's either a single PWM fan, or two counter-rotating fans in the same housing, with PWM using a non-standard connector. You might be able to replace it by splicing the connector onto a standard fan, but the PSU might complain if the new RPM is too low.