Removing DIMMs from slots with only one clasp / retention clip

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
Until this week, every motherboard I've encountered has DIMM slots with two clasps (one on each end). Removing DIMMs is pretty easy because pressing on the two clasps usually releases the DIMM on both ends.

I just encountered my first motherboard where the DIMM slots only have a single clasp. The other side is "fixed" and I almost broke one of these fixed ends trying to push on it. It's also considerably harder to pull out the DIMM because the side with the fixed end doesn't want to come out, especially on a brand new board.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks for removing DIMMs from single clasp DIMM slots?

Pakna

May 7, 2019
I wonder what is the benefit of this design? I can't see anything good coming out of it.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I wonder what is the benefit of this design? I can't see anything good coming out of it.
It allows one end of the DIMM to be closer to other components, since it doesn't need room to open.

Reactions: Pakna

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
Thanks everyone for the tips. The DIMMS and slots are both very new so they're very snug. I'm guessing after an insertion/removal cycle, they'll be a bit less challenging.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
It allows one end of the DIMM to be closer to other components, since it doesn't need room to open.
That seems like a good reason. I can't think of any other benefit. But in the case of this particular motherboard (Supermicro M12SWA-TF), there's ample space to use clasps on both sides.

thigobr

Apr 29, 2020
It's funny Asus lists this "feature" as a good thing... I really dislike these DIMM slots

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
Maybe they're in cahoots with the memory vendors thinking a few broken DIMMs / slots will net them a bit more revenue? :p

But seriously, I had to remove 8 DIMMs from single clasp slots last night and got the hang of it. However, it definitely more difficult / dicey than the slots with 2 clasps.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
not i my experience. unlock the one clasp and pull the DIMM out.
I suspect YMMV is at play here, specifically tolerances. The Samsung DIMMs that just went into these sockets were pretty snug going in so either they're a teeny bit too large or the slots are a teeny bit too small. Or both.

Plus the memory and board are both brand new. Over time, I suspect it will get easier.

However, I don't see how it could ever be easier than 2 clasps where the releasing both pops the memory fully out of the socket.