Raid with 3x internal ports, battery. Please recommend

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
I have a Lenovo TD340 with 8 drives and want to cram another 4 in the case. The onboard raid controller only has two SAS ports. I'm looking for a controller that will have 3 internal SAS ports and a battery would probably be a good idea as well. I've found some that are less than $50 but only 3.0Gb/s.

Can someone recommend one that is 6.0Gb/s and has Raid 5,6,10 with OCE and a battery? I don't need the latest and greatest. I plan to buy used on ebay or elsewhere.

The OS is Windows 10.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
You can use this list for reference, I see some of the ServeRAID M5014 for around 75 with the BBU but no cables you're probably looking at ~100 regardless for BBU plus 2 ports and Raid 5(including cables and accessories)
Misread 3 ports, is there a reason you want a single card instead of a second one?

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
You can use this list for reference, I see some of the ServeRAID M5014 for around 75 with the BBU but no cables you're probably looking at ~100 regardless for BBU plus 2 ports and Raid 5(including cables and accessories)
Misread 3 ports, is there a reason you want a single card instead of a second one?
Thanks. I did check that list but I was only looking for 3 internal. A second look, I see that I could at least find a couple that have 4 ports with a battery.
I'd rather not get a second card to keep a slot open for other cards. However, if I end up using two cards, will the RAID bios detect both cards and I'll be able to administer them both? Essentially, I can build and destroy raids from one interface that will 'see' both cards?

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
You know i've never tested that with two cards, I know i get two seperate prompts on systems with an on board raid and then a card though, really your best choice for management is to have both cards be the same OEM which at a guess your TD340 has an LSI card so mega raid inside windows(or on linux) could manage both cards from there

Havs

Sep 23, 2015
The on board on the TD340 is software raid isn't it? The problem I've encountered with 3+ port cards is the exponential cost. Take the LSI 9260 as an example. The 8i (the m5015 with bbu specifially) can be had for as low as $100. To jump to the 16i, which I don't think there are even any alternate vendor versions, you're looking at $800'ish.
You might want to consider something like a 9260-4i or 8i and a SAS Expander. You're going to have a hard time saturating even 1 of the SAS ports. it's got 6 gb/s X 4 channels. That's 3000 MB for 12 drives to share. You're going to hit a bottleneck somewhere else most likely before you're seeing 3000 MB transfer rates.
Are you planning on doing JBOD or do you want hardware raid? If it's JBOD you might be able to get away with the on board + an expander. I've got a M5015 with BBU and it's been great for me. A couple of those might do you right. You can manage them all from a single interface; same goes for a pair of LSI 9260-8i's. If the single card option is a must you're going to be paying about 4x more than the dual card equivalent.

Reactions: MountainDew

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
The SAS Expander might be a feasible option for me. I have a C2100 I can't sell so I could use the H700 from that and get a SAS expander to accomplish what I want in the TD340.
Looks like I need to read up on SAS expanders!