Quanta S2ML/Foxconn DA0S2MMB8B0

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ndoo

Dec 25, 2018
Hi STH community, I’m relatively new here (been lurking for ages) but I finally may have something useful to share.

I found some of these Quanta S2ML (QSSC-2ML) servers on Taobao, so I ordered one and was quite relieved to see that it shipped with a very old BIOS - S2MS3B10 - that seems very generic - there is no reference to the customer of these servers, and no customer modifications (such as being locked to 1.8GHz), as well as oddities such as references to GbE ports and 2nd SFP+ port which are not on production S2ML servers.

I have tested newer BIOSes - S2ML3A09 and newer have the CPU frequency locked to 1.8GHz, while several versions are locked to only support PXE boot and EFI boot of internal devices (with USB boot not supported) - while the one that came with my server seems relatively generic, with no locked options, etc. Another question that some have asked is if V2 CPUs are supported - from what I can tell, the BIOSes were only ever released with Sandy Bridge/Romley support.

I have dumped the BIOS using afulnx and uploaded it here, in the hope that it helps someone:
MEGA

Now, I wouldn't leave a BIOS file here without flashing instructions; I have only done this on Linux so if you have a Windows machine (and aren't worried about bricking your board), please try afuwin/afuwingui and let us know how that worked for you.

BIOS flashing runs the risk of an unbootable system. Only flash your BIOS if the one that shipped with your S2ML has peculiarities that break your use case that you are willing to risk a BIOS update to fix. I left BIOS recovery instructions at the end, but I have not tested them.
You can use afulnx to flash this to your S2ML with any bare-bones Linux installation:

First, build afulnx using the files and instructions here: mrwnwttk/afulnx
You may need to install build-essential as well as kernel headers matching the running kernel.
Then, either manually run "insmod amifldrv_mod.o" after building, or move amifldrv_mod.o to the same folder as the afulnx/afulnx64 binary, and create the following symlinks, and afulnx will automatically load/unload the module when running:
Code:
ln -s amifldrv_mod.ko amifldrv_mod
ln -s amifldrv_mod.ko amifldrv_mod.o
I’d recommend backing up your BIOS with:
Code:
./afulnx ./YOURSNAZZYFILENAME.BIN /O
Then flashing with:
Code:
./afulnx ./S2MS3B10.BIN /P /B /K /X /N /FDT /GBE /MER /OPR
Substitute afulnx for afulnx64 as needed.

BIOS recovery instructions (verbatim, excuse the odd grammar):
  1. Rename BIOS.ROM file as "S2M_REC.ROM" and put the file in boot device's root.
    example, you may have a bootable USB drive -> C:\S2M_REC.ROM.
  2. AC off system, and put the BIOS recovery jumper(J1E4) to pin 2-3.
  3. Power system, system will boot to BIOS setup with Flash update page.
  4. Choose "process BIOS update", then user can see the update status.
  5. Put the BIOS recovery jumper(J1E4) to pin 1-2 normal mode during update process.
  6. Update done, press any key to reboot system.

Reactions: MiniKnight

ndoo

Dec 25, 2018
I’m currently running this as my daily driver on my S2ML running Proxmox 5.3 booted off a ZFS mirrored pair of USB disks, which has been stable for a while and serving a web server and Plex server.

I’m sorry but I’m unable to share any newer BIOS files (which I highly doubt would be of much interest due to the high amount of vendor customization and lock down on boot options) as they contain references to the customer.

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
Hi STH community, I’m relatively new here (been lurking for ages) but I finally may have something useful to share.

I found some of these Quanta S2ML (QSSC-2ML) servers on Taobao, so I ordered one and was quite relieved to see that it shipped with a very old BIOS - S2MS3B10 - that seems very generic - there is no reference to the customer of these servers, and no customer modifications (such as being locked to 1.8GHz), as well as oddities such as references to GbE ports and 2nd SFP+ port which are not on production S2ML servers.

I have tested newer BIOSes - S2ML3A09 and newer have the CPU frequency locked to 1.8GHz, while several versions are locked to only support PXE boot and EFI boot of internal devices (with USB boot not supported) - while the one that came with my server seems relatively generic, with no locked options, etc. Another question that some have asked is if V2 CPUs are supported - from what I can tell, the BIOSes were only ever released with Sandy Bridge/Romley support.

I have dumped the BIOS using afulnx and uploaded it here, in the hope that it helps someone:
MEGA

Now, I wouldn't leave a BIOS file here without flashing instructions; I have only done this on Linux so if you have a Windows machine (and aren't worried about bricking your board), please try afuwin/afuwingui and let us know how that worked for you.

You can use afulnx to flash this to your S2ML with any bare-bones Linux installation:

First, build afulnx using the files and instructions here: mrwnwttk/afulnx
You may need to install build-essential as well as kernel headers matching the running kernel.
Then, either manually run "insmod amifldrv_mod.o" after building, or move amifldrv_mod.o to the same folder as the afulnx/afulnx64 binary, and create the following symlinks, and afulnx will automatically load/unload the module when running:
Code:
ln -s amifldrv_mod.ko amifldrv_mod
ln -s amifldrv_mod.ko amifldrv_mod.o
I’d recommend backing up your BIOS with:
Code:
./afulnx ./YOURSNAZZYFILENAME.BIN /O
Then flashing with:
Code:
./afulnx ./S2MS3B10.BIN /P /B /K /X /N /FDT /GBE /MER /OPR
Substitute afulnx for afulnx64 as needed.

BIOS recovery instructions (verbatim, excuse the odd grammar):
  1. Rename BIOS.ROM file as "S2M_REC.ROM" and put the file in boot device's root.
    example, you may have a bootable USB drive -> C:\S2M_REC.ROM.
  2. AC off system, and put the BIOS recovery jumper(J1E4) to pin 2-3.
  3. Power system, system will boot to BIOS setup with Flash update page.
  4. Choose "process BIOS update", then user can see the update status.
  5. Put the BIOS recovery jumper(J1E4) to pin 1-2 normal mode during update process.
  6. Update done, press any key to reboot system.
Hi ndoo,

I have the same system. I can confirm that with the S2MS3B10 BIOS V2 cpu are supported!
I have 2 E5-2630v2 in my system running very well.

There is a newer BIOS on the quanta support site. It is difficult to find. Search for S210-X12MS.
Here is the link I got HYPERSCALE PRODUCTS-QCT
I think there are only updates for intel security issues. I have not bothered to update.
Please note that this BIOS is actually for a different system then ours but looks to be running well.

Where did you find the S2ML3A09 BIOS?

I have disassembled my system to put the motherboard in another case and get it quiet.
In this I have run into a problem. I tried skipping the HD backplane and connect the fans directly to the motherboard. I have Nouctua PWM fans. The problem is that the fan speed control is not working when connected to the MB. They run at somthing like 40% rpm. I have tried several BMC firmwares with no luck.
I finally gave up and cut the cables to the original fans and soldered on connectors to the new fans. they now work as expected but d to change case to get the space for the backplane!

BR
Peter

ndoo

Dec 25, 2018
How much were they shipped? What kind of power consumption are you seeing?
I paid a total of US$124 bare-bones (no RAM, CPUs or disks). I was in Hong Kong, and most Taobao sellers ship direct to Hong Kong.

I don’t have a kill-a-watt to test with, but I am using 2*115W E5-2670 in it. I am using the "powersave" governer with intel-pstate to save some power.

ndoo

Dec 25, 2018
Hi ndoo,

I have the same system. I can confirm that with the S2MS3B10 BIOS V2 cpu are supported!
I have 2 E5-2630v2 in my system running very well.

There is a newer BIOS on the quanta support site. It is difficult to find. Search for S210-X12MS.
Here is the link I got HYPERSCALE PRODUCTS-QCT
I think there are only updates for intel security issues. I have not bothered to update.
Please note that this BIOS is actually for a different system then ours but looks to be running well.

Where did you find the S2ML3A09 BIOS?

I have disassembled my system to put the motherboard in another case and get it quiet.
In this I have run into a problem. I tried skipping the HD backplane and connect the fans directly to the motherboard. I have Nouctua PWM fans. The problem is that the fan speed control is not working when connected to the MB. They run at somthing like 40% rpm. I have tried several BMC firmwares with no luck.
I finally gave up and cut the cables to the original fans and soldered on connectors to the new fans. they now work as expected but d to change case to get the space for the backplane!

BR
Peter
Thanks for the link - I ran an MD5SUM on S2MS3B10 on the QCT website vs. the one I dumped out of my motherboard:
MD5 (S2MS3B10_QCT.BIN) = 6834c61be54f2b4b7dd57187485a8c4b
MD5 (S2MS3B10_DUMP.BIN) = b4c847903a0b5876f1bdedfb6595a67a

They don't seem to be identical - did you have any luck with the BIOSes from the Quanta site?

As for the S2ML3Axx BIOSes - I can't say, but I believe all of the servers which are locked at 1.8GHz will be from that series of BIOSes, due to a customer request.

I’m currently keeping my system in the 1U chassis, so I haven't needed to use the motherboard fan headers.

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
Thanks for the link - I ran an MD5SUM on S2MS3B10 on the QCT website vs. the one I dumped out of my motherboard:
MD5 (S2MS3B10_QCT.BIN) = 6834c61be54f2b4b7dd57187485a8c4b
MD5 (S2MS3B10_DUMP.BIN) = b4c847903a0b5876f1bdedfb6595a67a

They don't seem to be identical - did you have any luck with the BIOSes from the Quanta site?

As for the S2ML3Axx BIOSes - I can't say, but I believe all of the servers which are locked at 1.8GHz will be from that series of BIOSes, due to a customer request.

I’m currently keeping my system in the 1U chassis, so I haven't needed to use the motherboard fan headers.
If you compare the BIOS files you will find that from 128k (20.000 hex) and onward they are identical.
The first 128k looks to be the setup data. Your current BIOS configuration.

I have the S2MS3B10. it was loaded by the seller to support v2 cpus.

I have tried the 1.26 BMC firmware. It will run but does not correctly identify the system and some things like fan control is not working. By decompiling and fiddling with some files I could get it to work better, but in the end went back to the original.

I am now running BMC firmware 2ML ver 1.12 build date Dec 3 2013 14:44:48 CST

What BMC firmware are you on?

BR
Peter

ndoo

Dec 25, 2018
I’m on 1.18 (release date: 2015-11-27), I’ve uploaded it here: MEGA

By the way, which v2 CPUs have you tested? Dang it, so I didn't even have to extract the BIOS. Maybe I should give S2MS3B12 a try, unless you have had issues with it?

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
I’m on 1.18 (release date: 2015-11-27), I’ve uploaded it here: MEGA

By the way, which v2 CPUs have you tested? Dang it, so I didn't even have to extract the BIOS. Maybe I should give S2MS3B12 a try, unless you have had issues with it?
Thanks for the BMC firmware. I will decompile and see what has changed!

I have 2 E5-2630v2 (6 core/12 threads). I have not tested B12 BIOS. looking at the readme it only updates the microcode

Peter

ndoo

Dec 25, 2018
I’ve managed to borrow and test a pair of E5-2643V2 (130W TDP per socket) and can confirm that it boots to OS and works fine, turbo ratios reflect correctly in i7z. I’ve managed to run Prime95 for more than a few minutes just fine too.

One issue I have is that the PSU fan spooled to top speed and hasn't yet spun down a few minutes after the rest of the system has cooled back down to idle.

Edit: The PSU fan spun down after 10min idling.

Last edited:

ndoo

Dec 25, 2018
Just to report back on the PSU fan "issue" I’ve been having; I suspect the spin-down threshold for the PSU is set to around 27ºC, which is usually at or below ambient room temperature in Singapore (average indoor temperature is between 26ºC to 30+ºC all year round), where my server is.

I have had several days where the PSU fan never spins down unless I pop open the chassis (after a run of Prime95) - FP Temp reading is 28ºC.

Thankfully the hysteresis point where it goes to full speed seems to be high enough that non-synthetic loads don't trip the PSU fan to full speed for me.

Unfortunately though, there probably is no fix for this as the PSU doesn't seem to have PMBUS wiring.

naterhit

Jul 22, 2019
Unfortunately I do not have that BIOS available. Maybe nboo can help you

BR
Peter
Thanks Peter - The reason I ask is because I recently flashed the newer firmware to test supporting e5v2, however, as I followed the instructions provided for how to backup/flash, I received some BIOS message essentially saying something to the effect of "Unable to export BIOS" or "Unable to export locked BIOS", something like that. So I debated whether or not to proceed without a good backup and I did. I am now wanting to flash it back to that version of BIOS - I think.

I am currently not near the server to check in the BIOS of the B310 I think it was, but I don't recall seeing any options in the newer BIOS for PCIe bifurcation in order to support a PCIe card with dual nvme support, but I do recall seeing it in the OEM A09 I believe it was. Do the newer BIOSs that support v2 support pcie bifurcation? If so, where is the BIOS setting. If not, can this be supported on the newer BIOSs?

Thank you so very much @PeterF

@ndoo - Are you able to please chime in? In summary looking to see if you can upload/sent me an A09 BIOS or perhaps answer the question above?

naterhit

Jul 22, 2019
@PeterF - Two questions please

Can you please attach/send me your BMC firmware 2ML ver 1.12 build date Dec 3 2013 14:44:48 CST please?
Can you please let me know instructions on how to perform the BMC update please?

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
Also interested in how to update the BMC
To flash The BMC you use the socflash utility from Aspeed. It used to be available on the Aspeed download page but is now only for registered customers. It is anyway available with all BMC firmware from MotherBoard producers that use the Aspeed chip. You can download a BMC package from Quanta at the following link
QuantaGrid-D51PC | 1U Rackmount Server | QCT.io

Select BMC and download one of the packages. inside the zip you will find dosflash, linuxflash and winflash. There are instructions on how to use them. Basically ./socflash.sh [new image] [backup image] .
Always take a backup. you might need to reflash if anything goes wrong.
I used a linux usb stick that I booted with and then did the flash. The nice thing is that you do not need to reboot the computer after the flash, just wait for the BMC to restart and then try to connect to it.

I can at the moment not provide the BMC firmware I use. my quanta is currently offline and in storage.
The backup I have available contains my setup, users and passwords. You would probably have problems entering it. You could try the 2.18 firmware available earlier in the thread.

The BMC firmware is a complete linux system. Using binwalk you can analyze it and see the components. There are 2 CramFS filesystem, 2 JFFS filesystems that linux kernel and a bootloader. You can extract the CramFS filesystems under linux and extract them. It is also possible to make changes and repackage them. But they must fit inside their original sizes. The JFFS filesystems contain the current setup.

What I can see there is not much change from one version to another. If you do not have a specific problem that are fixed I would not bother updating!

BR
Peter

Malcolm

Aug 9, 2019
To flash The BMC you use the socflash utility from Aspeed. It used to be available on the Aspeed download page but is now only for registered customers. It is anyway available with all BMC firmware from MotherBoard producers that use the Aspeed chip. You can download a BMC package from Quanta at the following link
QuantaGrid-D51PC | 1U Rackmount Server | QCT.io

Select BMC and download one of the packages. inside the zip you will find dosflash, linuxflash and winflash. There are instructions on how to use them. Basically ./socflash.sh [new image] [backup image] .
Always take a backup. you might need to reflash if anything goes wrong.
I used a linux usb stick that I booted with and then did the flash. The nice thing is that you do not need to reboot the computer after the flash, just wait for the BMC to restart and then try to connect to it.
Thanks for the helpful instructions.

The BMC firmware is a complete linux system. Using binwalk you can analyze it and see the components. There are 2 CramFS filesystem, 2 JFFS filesystems that linux kernel and a bootloader. You can extract the CramFS filesystems under linux and extract them. It is also possible to make changes and repackage them. But they must fit inside their original sizes. The JFFS filesystems contain the current setup.
Thats quite nifty.

What I can see there is not much change from one version to another. If you do not have a specific problem that are fixed I would not bother updating!
The main issue I'm trying to resolve is that mine (which I use as a build server) recently entered a boot loop of some kind, nothing shows on screen so I can't see why.

I was hoping the BMC would contain useful info of some kind, bios logs or something so I could get some kind of an idea what it is and whether it is fixable or not to fix it (Is it just a faulty ram module or is the motherboard completely broken? etc.).
Sadly the BMC (Currently 1.10) really has very little useful information on it - its possible I miss some obvious functionality (I don't have much experience with servers)

I was hoping a newer BMC might have more in depth information on server health...

Bill Garcia

Feb 10, 2021
I am trying to install a couple of E5-2697V2 XEON in my Quanta S210-X12MS rig and could not find a BIOS update to S2MS3B09 or S2MS3B12
Does anyone has a link to download it I know this post is almost two years old but my rig still works great and just need to increase to 12 Cores.
Any help will be appreciated.

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
I am trying to install a couple of E5-2697V2 XEON in my Quanta S210-X12MS rig and could not find a BIOS update to S2MS3B09 or S2MS3B12
Does anyone has a link to download it I know this post is almost two years old but my rig still works great and just need to increase to 12 Cores.
Any help will be appreciated.
@bill I have B10 and B12 bios packages. I have been using the S2MS3B10 bios. it works with my e5-2630V2 processors. I have not tried B12.

See it you can download them from this link Quanta

If it does not work we will find some other way to transfer them to you

BR
Peter