Quanta 2ML Render Farm - rack, 10 dual e5-2670 and 10Gb switch $3850

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
That chassis will need some major mod due to the sfp port being in a pcie bay slot zone

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

NobleX13

Oct 2, 2014
I ordered a single 2ML from NATEX yesterday. For $140 shipped with a PCI-e riser this is definitely the cheapest way to a killer ESXi host. I ordered two E5-2650s from eBay for $35 each and I have 128GB of ECC registered DDR3 laying around.

heathen

May 30, 2015
Could you please approximate weight for the 10pcs bundle with and without the rack?

As I can see on the pics it's possible to put more than 4 HDDs there, am I right? Is there any way to power up 4 additional HDDs?
Does server's backplane support SAS (you told that there are 8 SAS ports on the MB; what sas chipset is it backed with, by the way, and what connector type is it)?
And I don't see an option to order caddies and PCIe risers with bundles. Is it possible?

Does BMC have ikvm support?

Thanks a lot!

By the way, has anybody seen compatible hdd caddies? $55 for the 4 pieces of plastic is a little bit... hm... overpriced, I think. :)

NATEX

Natex Representative
Mar 7, 2016
Could you please approximate weight for the 10pcs bundle with and without the rack?

As I can see on the pics it's possible to put more than 4 HDDs there, am I right? Is there any way to power up 4 additional HDDs?
Does server's backplane support SAS (you told that there are 8 SAS ports on the MB; what sas chipset is it backed with, by the way, and what connector type is it)?
And I don't see an option to order caddies and PCIe risers with bundles. Is it possible?

Does BMC have ikvm support?

Thanks a lot!

By the way, has anybody seen compatible hdd caddies? $55 for the 4 pieces of plastic is a little bit... hm... overpriced, I think. :)
Here are some answers from our tech.
I had had issues with the 2ml and the SAS. The backplanes do not work at all if you connect them to SAS.
I have tried to hook up 8 SAS drives and it will only see 4 of them on ports 0-3.
The entire board is the Intel C602 Chipset including the SAS controller.
I am experimenting with getting 8 drives in the 2ml, but I am having no luck. The way the power is split out with the P/S it come with it is hard without needing to have a custom connections made up.

We will work on getting the caddies and PCIe risers added as an option to the bundles.

Reactions: heathen

andrew.car

Sep 14, 2016
Has anyone ever installed pcie video card in Quanta 2ML? How to configure it ? Just get black screen after few bios POST's attempts..
Thanks for help.

PS: (vga priority = offboard)

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
Waking this thread up a little....

Has anyone had any luck trying to find bios updates for the s2ml?
Mine came with a pair of 2650's which are reported in the bios as 2Ghz cpu's but are shown as running at 1.8Ghz. Windows reports as 1.8 too. Anyone seeing similar?

Currently having much fun trying to get a pcie riser that will fit...

NATEX

Natex Representative
Mar 7, 2016
Waking this thread up a little....

Has anyone had any luck trying to find bios updates for the s2ml?
Mine came with a pair of 2650's which are reported in the bios as 2Ghz cpu's but are shown as running at 1.8Ghz. Windows reports as 1.8 too. Anyone seeing similar?

Currently having much fun trying to get a pcie riser that will fit...
We have a riser that works and fits. 10USD each plus shipping.

We need to get it listed. Please email Libby@natex.us if you would like to order it.

I have not been able to find a BIOS flash for this unit.

It is a C602 Intel Chipset. A base Intel Flash may or may not work.

A BIOS flash is not recommended unless an issue you are having is solved by a newer BIOS version.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm in the UK, so by the time I pay postage and import tax it starts to get expensive.
I'll try a few more local options this week but may well mail Libby for that :)

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
Natex, you win I give up.
I've been trying to mail either libby or support @ ...... and they are both bouncing mail.

qulix

Oct 10, 2016
Sorry to reopen an old thread but I have just found these servers. Could be great but would love to know what they are like with esxi or could I install xpenology directly. Bargain hardware are now selling these in the uk. Quanta Cheap E5-2600 (LGA 2011) Sixteen Core Cloud Server (Configure-To-Order)
Yes, debian and esxi 6.5 installed fine. The onboard storage controller and Intel 10G NIC work fine with both.

Other info worth knowing-
-The slow bios response is because of the default serial console redirection on these machines. You can disable the console redirection stuff in the bios and it'll respond normally.
-The first two drive bays are SATA3, all the others are SATA2. I didn't try SAS drives.
-The drive trays aren't entirely necessary. Especially with SSDs. If you plan on shipping it somewhere, you'll want to secure the drives with tape or something.
-The power usage I saw when metering was something like ~220w max and ~110w idle. (with dual e5-2665/128G/4 SSDs)
-Also, I tested an LSI raid controller in the pcie riser and it worked fine.

waspsoton

Feb 26, 2016
Yes, debian and esxi 6.5 installed fine. The onboard storage controller and Intel 10G NIC work fine with both.

Other info worth knowing-
-The slow bios response is because of the default serial console redirection on these machines. You can disable the console redirection stuff in the bios and it'll respond normally.
-The first two drive bays are SATA3, all the others are SATA2. I didn't try SAS drives.
-The drive trays aren't entirely necessary. Especially with SSDs. If you plan on shipping it somewhere, you'll want to secure the drives with tape or something.
-The power usage I saw when metering was something like ~220w max and ~110w idle. (with dual e5-2665/128G/4 SSDs)
-Also, I tested an LSI raid controller in the pcie riser and it worked fine.
Thanks for the update, I have heard from bargain hardware and they have said it doesn't have any sas ports and only 4 sata ports. It's strange tho as it's the same motherboard as the one I have. Trying to get them to take a photo of the motherboard but we shall see

waspsoton

Feb 26, 2016
I finally got a photo of the motherboard for anyone that's wants to see this board. Anyone got clue on what size this is

Attachments

Cheng

Apr 2, 2017
Hi, I recently got the Quanta Server from Bargain Hardware. I just wondering if there's a max internal storage using SATA for the server. I asked them about it and they said that they've only tested it with 4x 3 TB hard drives and possibly could handle more. Can anyone here confirm that? Thanks

Last edited: