Qotom Denverton fanless system with 4 SFP+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
Added myself a link to the USB powered 3-speed selector 240mm dual fan I've got, that thing moves air, sheesh
That will be more that enough :) i went with one large fan for most air moved at slow speed (800rpm max)

Ohhhh that sounds particularly promising, I should definitely have a look at the available boards, local used market have people greatly exaggerating the value of what they got there, almost as of they wanted to sell at brand new pricing
Piospartslap - Ihre IT-Remarketing-Spezialisten is where i have bought from... their specials section is worth checking from time to time
the boards I bought is still there, but no christmas discount anymore

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010

alaricljs

Jun 16, 2023
@Patrick the C3758 and C3758R have different PCIe lane counts (R gets +4). Any way to tell if this system design takes any advantage of that? Pretty much the only reason I could see in jumping to the "better" CPU since the compute difference doesn't seem to be worth it.

Bobby Sharpe

Jan 2, 2024
Switzerland
For whoever is interested these are the jumper locations for auto power. Just connect a jumper to the pins shown in red. The headers are named panel 1
Hi everybody

On the picture in this post I can't see the details very good. May somebody can confirm that pin 8+10 are to shortcut for auto power? (Upper row, right corner)

Just afraid to smoke my mainboard :)

Or is there a manual from Qotom existing?

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
Hi everybody

On the picture in this post I can't see the details very good. May somebody can confirm that pin 8+10 are to shortcut for auto power? (Upper row, right corner)

Just afraid to smoke my mainboard :)

Or is there a manual from Qotom existing?
Lastest version of bios has last state enabled ... so unless it was already turned off, it will power back up after AC loss... no need to mess with jumpers

Reactions: blunden

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
@Patrick nice review :D

But regarding support, SOC is now so old that support is slipping ...

For instance the 10G X553's don't work in proxmox 8, Scale or any modern linux with kernel 6.x

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
I thought that was a bug, not an intentional removal?
It's a bug, but seems to have very low priority to fix... kernel 6.xx has been out/testing for quite a while now

I haven't personally tested Scale, maybe they have implemented a fix themself, since their minis use this cpu
but certainly not fixed in main branch

Reactions: blunden

TheGeekn°72

Dec 29, 2023
France
I've used mellanox, Cisco and intel, so not locked
Ah good, I was wondering that as well (surprised he didn't mention it), I'll put in my order for a transceiver now

@Patrick nice review :D

But regarding support, SOC is now so old that support is slipping ...

For instance the 10G X553's don't work in proxmox 8, Scale or any modern linux with kernel 6.x
The C3000 platform is old ? I didn't look too deep into it, I saw the 58R SoC came out in 2020, I thought it was an ongoing chip, hopefully this bug gets fixed :confused:
(The SFP+ ports work with OPNsense though, right ?)

Last edited:

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
Ah good, I was wondering that as well (surprised he didn't mention it), I'll put in my order for a transceiver now
I believe that maybe they didn't do much test on the sfp+ ports under linux, or they would most likely have discovered/mentioned bug
NICs appear to be working in linux 6.xx but no link when connecting cables

Patrick only show windows usage in video

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
@Patrick the C3758 and C3758R have different PCIe lane counts (R gets +4). Any way to tell if this system design takes any advantage of that? Pretty much the only reason I could see in jumping to the "better" CPU since the compute difference doesn't seem to be worth it.
Also Interested in this, if the extra lanes could be used for the M2 for some more speed. :cool:

Great review!!

Does anyone have link to the manual or any further into on the "console" port?
Can it be used for a console redirect mode in the event of a remote headless recovery path.

TheGeekn°72

Dec 29, 2023
France
Fellas, I need your help

Since we have established that the SFP+ ports aren't vendor locked, I looked into the transceivers I need, however, I found several offers that *seem* to have what I want but I'm not sure which one to pick... I know 10Gtek, I got NICs from them before, works very well but the other brands linked down there, they seem to have good reviews and be cheaper but no idea if I should stick with a brand I know for an extra or go for a better price...
You guys see any discerning details between those that would be a dealbreaker of some sort maybe ?

Bobby Sharpe

Jan 2, 2024
Switzerland
Lastest version of bios has last state enabled ... so unless it was already turned off, it will power back up after AC loss... no need to mess with jumpers
I have the latest UEFI QDNVO111.v10 of 08/29/2023 for the Q20321G9 C3558R device. However if I disconnect the power cable and reconnect the device is not booting.

Do I need to do some settings in the UEFI?

Jan. 5th: To answer myself: It's hidden in the UEFI setup: Intel RC Setup → South Bridge Chipset Configuration → State after G3 → Power auto

Last edited:
Reactions: Cpgeek and MacD87

thardie

Mar 6, 2022
Can anyone with one of these tell us what the controller is behind the SFF8087 port? Is it a SAS controller - IE, could we connect this to an external enclosure that has a SAS expander in it?

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
Can anyone with one of these tell us what the controller is behind the SFF8087 port? Is it a SAS controller - IE, could we connect this to an external enclosure that has a SAS expander in it?
No It's 4 SATA-only ports from SoC

Reactions: thardie