PSA: Vmware ESXi 7.0 does not like consumer NVMe drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

barzin98

Oct 31, 2022
hi
This topic that was raised was very useful and great and helped me a lot to choose Samsung 970 PRO NVMe M2 ; and please don't close this thread so that more people can share their experiences, thanks

Jimster480

Mar 12, 2020
Just an update; this still works fine on the newest ESXI 7.
Does anyone know if it works on ESXI 8? I'm a bit afraid to upgrade to 8.

Brunolee

Apr 16, 2023
I just found out that ESXi 7.0 is really particular about the brand of NVMe drive you try to use.
And it was an issue on earlier versions but it seems to be even stricter now

My Intel 660P works perfectly, but my Adata XPG SX8200 and HP EX920 do not work at all :(
I believe most Intel and Samsung drives like 970's should work fine at least :D

YMMW with other brands on the official HCL - Cisco, Dell, HPE, HGST, Hitachi, Huawei, Intel, Lenovo, Micron, Oracle, Samsung, ScaleFlux, SKHynix, WD
If anyone has other brands working please comment and we can start to create a list.

In previous versions of ESXi you could run a couple of commands to load older nvme drivers like this:

But on ESXi 7.0 that somehow kills all of your network card drivers and your box is now a shiny paperweight :(
Anyone know of any further hacks/tweaks to get it work?
感谢这个方法,非常有用!
我的 Homelab 使用 R730XD,使用 internal SD 作为 ESXi 6.7 boot,PERC H730需要 passthrough 给 Truenas使用,因此无法使用SAS磁盘作为 ESXi Data Store,使用您的方法,成功将 PCIE nvme磁盘驱动成功! thanks again.

Attachments

Railgun

Jul 28, 2018
Well, nowhere in the thread did it specify the Phison controller so...

Perhaps the thread title should be changed.

Have you tried this?

Last edited:

Jimster480

Mar 12, 2020
Well, nowhere in the thread did it specify the Phison controller so...

Perhaps the thread title should be changed.

Have you tried this?

Honestly I came up with this last night based on the screenshot you posted. Vs my own ESXI instances using SMI controllers.
I know that Samsung controllers still work, you confirming that Phison controllers do work (someone else mentioned other drives) like @StevenDTX who said that Sandisk SN570 drives worked (WD Controller).
Although what is weird is that @dante4 mentioned that his Kingston drive worked; yet it has the same SMI controller as my Mushkin Pilot-E which I already know NEEDS the old driver to work.
Along with @cli-networks who mentioned that SN550 drives don't work.

So it seems that Samsung controllers all work; Sandisk/WD Controllers PARTIALLY work and with your post certain Phison controllers work.
The part I find the most interesting is that 2263EN works based on @dante4 but 2262EN doesn't work (from my own experiences). They are all from the "same generation" and 2262EN is actually the "flagship" controller where 2263EN is the cut down 4-channel one.

The title of this post shouldn't be changed, because upon further investigation; it doesn't seem to matter your drive brand unless maybe its Samsung because otherwise it is hit and miss.

Maybe it has to do with DDR3 on the controller vs DDR4 since the Kingston drive has DDR4 and the Mushkin has DDR3.
Soon I will test ESXI with a PNY XLR8 and report back.

Reactions: BennyT

Railgun

Jul 28, 2018
The title of this post shouldn't be changed, because upon further investigation; it doesn't seem to matter your drive brand unless maybe its Samsung because otherwise it is hit and miss.
That’s the change I was referring to. “Some” consumer drives…

Jimster480

Mar 12, 2020
That’s the change I was referring to. “Some” consumer drives…
Yeah it is definitely some consumer drives. I haven't figured out what actually makes it work or not but I thought I had figured it out last night. Either way I'm glad that the driver still works today and my servers are running fine.