Proxmox ERROR: migration aborted storage does not exists

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Here is one that I think you will find to be extremely interesting.

I was moving one of the old WordPress VMs from one server to another and moving data from ZFS to Ceph. Moving ZFS to Ceph completed successfully. Once on Ceph (the shared storage pool in the cluster) I tried moving it to a different host and received this error message:
Code:
Sep 12 17:40:42 ERROR: migration aborted (duration 00:00:00): storage 'p3600400gb' does not exists

TASK ERROR: migration aborted
Stop
Name

Value

Status
stopped: migration aborted
Task type
qmigrate
User name
root@pam
Node
fmt-pve-07
Process ID
Start Time
2016-09-12 17:40:42
Unique task ID
UPID:fmt-pve-07:0002294F:90CDE01C:57D74B0A:qmigrate:100:root@pam:
As it turns out, the reason for this is fascinating. Doing the migration from ZFS to Ceph using the "Move disk" there is a checkbox "Delete source". If you do not delete the source something strange happens, the Migrate VM function still looks for and finds the old disk and makes the migration fail. This is even though the VM no longer has the disk attached.

Seems to be a Proxmox "feature". The way to fix it is to delete the original storage, in my case the storage on ZFS. If the old storage is gone it will migrate fine either in offline mode or using live migration.