EXPIRED Precision 7820 Tower, dual Silver 4110, 32gb, 1tb ssd, P600 $349 shipped

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
About the video card... after setting everything up, I assume I can just unplug the power to it and still be able to boot with no video? I'll check if there are any BIOS options for checking video at POST, etc, I guess?
There is no Bios option for checking Video at POST, but you can set the Bios to „continue on warnings and errors“. That’s Dell‘s way for headless… and you should remove the video card from PCIE slot, not only un-plug the power cord. Otherwise strange quirks can happen.

Reactions: rub1k

rub1k

Dec 13, 2022
There is no Bios option for checking Video at POST, but you can set the Bios to „continue on warnings and errors“. That’s Dell‘s way for headless… and you should remove the video card from PCIE slot, not only un-plug the power cord. Otherwise strange quirks can happen.
Makes sense; appreciate the info and will do!

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Yes on the stored digital license for Windows 10 Pro for workstations.

Even with the broken rear handles (2 of 3) this was a super duper deal.

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
Wow talk about crappy packaging. They wrapped it once with small bubble wrap and put it in a box, one of of them arrived damaged from getting bashed around inside the box in transit.

Rear handle broke off and the corner of the frame is bent, which won't allow me to take the face plate off to get to the hot swap drives.

For a company that sells so much on eBay, they sure don't know how to pack equipment.

I emailed them to see what they are going to do to make this right.

Reactions: Sacrilego

rub1k

Dec 13, 2022
I'd gladly pay an extra 10 or 15 bucks for a system that is packaged well vs wrapping it once with bubble wrap and stuffing it in an oversized box allowing it to slide all over.
Yeah, I'm going to actually try to return mine (I got a 7810, not 7820 so wasn't as good a deal to begin with). It got banged up pretty hard and the box is bent enough so that it stands kind of tilted/only on 3 feet. Hope they accept it back.

Reactions: tjk

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
Yeah, I'm going to actually try to return mine (I got a 7810, not 7820 so wasn't as good a deal to begin with). It got banged up pretty hard and the box is bent enough so that it stands kind of tilted/only on 3 feet. Hope they accept it back.
Listing days 30 day returns, but buyer pays return shipping. I'd argue that it came damaged and get them to pay for the return shipping or file a claim with eBay if they don't.

rub1k

Dec 13, 2022
Yeah, it was definitely damaged during shipping. I'll double check the fine print but looked like seller might pay for returns (screenshot below) but will see...

1675031367809.png

Sacrilego

Now with more RGB!
Jun 23, 2016
Wow talk about crappy packaging. They wrapped it once with small bubble wrap and put it in a box, one of of them arrived damaged from getting bashed around inside the box in transit.

Rear handle broke off and the corner of the frame is bent, which won't allow me to take the face plate off to get to the hot swap drives.

For a company that sells so much on eBay, they sure don't know how to pack equipment.

I emailed them to see what they are going to do to make this right.
I got mine now. Packaging was terrible. Half the box wasn't even taped!
Luckily no damage from shipping as far as I can tell.

Attachments

Reactions: tjk

Richard Wad

Feb 7, 2017
Yes on the stored digital license for Windows 10 Pro for workstations.
I downloaded Dell's OS Recovery tool and created a Windows 10 ISO after entering the system code on their support page. Unfortunately I'm getting a 0xc004c003 error code when trying to activate. Possible they deactivated these licenses ?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Unfortunately I'm getting a 0xc004c003 error code when trying to activate. Possible they deactivated these licenses ?
there is no win10proWS iso
AFAIK you have to convert win 10 pro after installation to win 10 pro WS with a generic key, after this activate with your key if its then not read out of the system.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations Generic Keys
RTM Generic Key (retail) DXG7C-N36C4-C4HTG-X4T3X-2YV77
KMS Client Setup Key NRG8B-VKK3Q-CXVCJ-9G2XF-6Q84J

Reactions: itronin

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Why not stay with Win10 pro? Pro WS does nothing for a T7820. Only „advantage“ of Pro WS: it supports more than 2 CPU sockets and more than 4TB RAM. Both not possible for T7829, so absolutely no need for Pro WS.

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Strange, all T7820 and T7920 I ever owned or maintained came with Win 10 Pro (non-WS) license
So I always did a fresh install of Win 10 Pro and used the „I don’t have a key“ option and it activated after installing. No need to hassle with keys.

Richard Wad

Feb 7, 2017
there is no win10proWS iso
AFAIK you have to convert win 10 pro after installation to win 10 pro WS with a generic key, after this activate with your key if its then not read out of the system.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations Generic Keys
RTM Generic Key (retail) DXG7C-N36C4-C4HTG-X4T3X-2YV77
KMS Client Setup Key NRG8B-VKK3Q-CXVCJ-9G2XF-6Q84J
Thank you for the reply but I've still been unsuccessful at activating mine. It didn't like either generic key, I tried slmgr /ipk to force the issue and still was unable to activate. I think I'm going to try a vanilla Windows 10 ISO instead of the Dell OS Recovery installation next.

Added: It was interesting that after running updates to newer versions of Windows 10, the red error message indicated that the previous version of Windows was not activated prior to upgrading to Windows 10.
This particular machine is actually a 7810, I have not hit my 7820 yet. Is it possible Dell's OS recovery was wrong, and the correct OS should have been Windows 8.1 ? The manufacturing date of this computer was in 2016. Windows 10 was out but Windows 8.1 was definitely still in the market.

Last edited:

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Thank you for the reply but I've still been unsuccessful at activating mine. It didn't like either generic key, I tried slmgr /ipk to force the issue and still was unable to activate. I think I'm going to try a vanilla Windows 10 ISO instead of the Dell OS Recovery installation next.
what I did on 3 7920's and a 5820

Windows 10 installation media built from MS download site (about 50 days ago)
Configure BIOS to turn off intel nvme raid.
Boot installation media. select I don't have a key
Install windows 10 pro
Control Panel -> Windows is not activated, click here
Windows doesn't have a valid key
Click on activation troubleshooter
Results are you have a digital license for windows 10 pro workstation, click here to upgrade
upgrade
system needs to restart
Go to control panel - see windows is activated
Run updates twice
finished