Pfsense & Sophos in VM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sthsep

Mar 7, 2016
I tried running it last week, and simply got frustrated. I had all the same settings as my firewall in OpenWRT, and no communication would come in or out of the firewall, plus I wasn't a fan of the interface.
Well in the upcoming pfsense version there will be a better / new interface. Also there is a fork of pfsense called Opnsense. It got also a "better" interface.

vBuild2BAU

Feb 27, 2016
Melbourne Australia
I tried running it last week, and simply got frustrated. I had all the same settings as my firewall in OpenWRT, and no communication would come in or out of the firewall, plus I wasn't a fan of the interface.
I am so surprised it hasn't been mentioned here. But I am really a huge fan of Untangle : Untangle: Network Policy at Work

There is a free and a paid Home version. The free version is suitable for most use cases. The paid version is $50 per year. And the GUI is really great to use. I run mine in a VM. I link my Colo Untangle with my home Untangle via OpenVPN.

It's a great appliance and really recommend it.

xbliss

Sep 26, 2015
I found that page with VMs as well - Can they be used with the Free/ Home license?
I found the OVF deployment but do not know what the default password is. has anyone seen it mentioned somewhere?
Interesting. I was able to get it working fine in VMware Workstation 10.
Also, is there a place that has or used to have UTM9 VMs/ Appliances - Ever? Or am I searching for a Ghost that I imagined.
I ask because from what I see I'd much rather go with UTM 9 in a VM now and deploy XG in another and play with it until it surpasses/ matures past UTM9.
I would recommend that you spend some time on the Sophos XG forums, IMHO there is more to this then just a features list.

I myself am running UTM9, XG and pfSense at home. While the XG has some cool features and looks great at this point I'm leaning towards UTM9.

Suprisingly pfSense is growning on me. My biggest issues with UTM9 was the 50 IP limit but I've been playing around with a few methods of limiting your IP count (seperate DHCP server for any devices that do not need internet access, making sure there is no gateway, seperating as much of my network as I can into VLAN's behind a NAT router, and using the Sophos as a DNS forwarder).

Too early to tell but I've read a few articles about people using pfSense as their router and Sophos for the other UTM functions. I may end up doing that.
Do share/ link them please. Your favorites/ best ones if there are too many of them.

mason736

Mar 17, 2013
Update:

After a couple weeks of tinkering, I believe I have all the bugs worked out of my Sophos XG VM. I have been traveling for work lately (Oracle Consulting), so I haven't been able to fully dedicate a large chunk of time all at once.

My Ubiquiti APs are all running great on a separate VLAN, big shout out to DavidRa for then assistance.

I am running Sophos XG on the 4th node of my c6100, in Hyper-V. I added a 4 port Intel PT Network Card for my WAN, LAN and secondary ISCSI subnet my SAN traffic runs on. In addition I have SSO working with active directory, as well as SSL VPN . I just came back from being on the road this week and had a chance to test the VPN, and it's working perfectly after some tweaking with firewall settings.

I love the interface of Sophos XG, especially coming from OpenWRT. While the learning curve was a bit steep, now that it's running well, it's a breeze to manage.

Thanks to everyone who helped out over the past few weeks!