pfSense and FreeBSD Pull Back on Kernel WireGuard Support

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
At the same time, this is a very good example of where the problem would not exist if pfSense was based on a Linux solution.
I think you're right. But you would have to use netfilter/iptables to setup firewall rules (instead of pf) :D

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
PFsense seems to have lost its way the last few year, at least they were willing to call this but I hear so much less about it and people using it and wonder how market share it has given up.

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
There's something of an informal consensus that they'll only really be supporting two of those. And we all know which one gets left out.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
If I was running things there (for context I am a software engineer and run a successful SaaS business) I would streamline, get rid of Tnsr and pfSense+/pfSense CE. It would be one product just called pfSense and it would be completely open source. We would make money by selling hardware preloaded with pfSense and we would sell support.
Thats exactly what they used to do, no? The problem was the amount of folks running on their own hardware, not needing support, or worse sellers that undercut on hardware whilst leveraging Netgates open source product. This contributed to difficulties to covering costs of developing the core features needed to differentiate both pfSense and help BSD remain competitive with other platforms such as linux which has made significant progress recently. Its been even more complicated by competitors being able to integrate Netgate's investments which is why I'm guessing they are taking some of the larger investments into a closed source ecosystem to prevent that.

Theres been a lot of mud slung recently, not only by Netgate, FreeBSD didn't exactly demonstrate excellence in their actions either. Having said that, Netgate put themselves in this position by their previous behavior so the idiom of you reap what you sow is appropriate here.

beren

Oct 25, 2018
There's an experimental module for opnsense now, written by the wireguard dev not netgate.