Other hobbies?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
So what else do you like to do beside the whole computer internet thing ;)

• Metal Fabricatio
  • Traveling and eating :D
  • Certain projects/creations that become business start as hobbies
  • Working around the house on fun projects, like building a pond or a mini-data center :D

Last edited:

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I'm a freelance fitness consultant hence the name (Gym Freak ;)). I create custom workout plans and provide nutritional guidelines (not meal plans as they are completely worthless) through online consulting.

I personally made a very large transition about 6 years ago myself from a skinny weakling (6'0 130lbs) to someone I consider to be in pretty solid shape (6'0 185lbs at 8-12% bf depending on the time of year). This transition changed my life in so many ways with regards to my self-esteem and confidence so I get a lot of satisfaction out helping others achieve their own fitness goals since I know first hand the effect it has.

I'm also a huge sports fan (NHL, NFL, MLB, Golf, etc in that order) and I love to travel to new places with my girlfriend. We just got back from Kauai, HI (Jurassic Island) last month which was absolutely gorgeous. The open door helicopter tour was unforgettable.

Last edited:

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I find rock climbing to be a nice break from the whirrrrr of server fans. So when I am not coding, building servers, workstations, Boinc crunching, overclocking or gaming... I am climbing. Mostly indoors 1-2 times a week but outdoors every other month or so.

Food... Yesss, love grilling and cooking....

Audio Engineering mix of gigs and volunteer work. Yamaha CL5 pictured.

Last edited:
Reactions: William and T_Minus

William

May 7, 2015
Other hobbies besides workstations and servers ???

Most of it revolves around food, I have a smoker I pull out every so often and cook up some ribs or pork butts. It's a lot of fun but it does take a bunch of time.

I do game a little, my current favorite is Path of Exiles and I am pledged up on Star Citizen which I cannot wait for.
When heading out of town the wife and I like to head over to Bodega Bay, cook on the beach and chow down to some sea food.

Reactions: T_Minus

William

May 7, 2015
If you have me friended up on FB there is plenty of more food pic's. My wife is an excellent cook and always has something going. Her new thing is baking bread... oh its so good :)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
William - That's awesome. My wife also enjoys making bread and cooking. I think we are very lucky ;) :D

Reactions: William

William

May 7, 2015
LOL yeah, she likes to cook all kinds of things, plus I am known for a meal or two that's pretty good :)

Yeah that smoker can make some nice meat. I have been trying out different things with it. Last weekend I did the 3-2-1 method... 3 hours in the smoker, 2 hours wrapped, 1 hour in the smoker sauced up. I put the meat in a pan with apple juice and BBQ sauce and covered. Everything was super tender and tated great. The real plus was it only took 6 hours. Doing a brisket can take double that time with out wrapping :(

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
That does look tasty - when are we all getting together for a taste-test?

As for myself, I like to be out riding when I'm not working or taking care of the kids/house. Either on my 2011 V-Strom 1000 (I could ride it down for a BBQ at @William 's), or off-road on the 2000 Honda CR-250R. Riding on-road and off also makes that an even more expensive hobby than enterprise-class IT gear.

Reactions: T_Minus

nickscott18

Mar 15, 2013
Electronics / embedded systems (mainly around automation) - ok, its still fairly close to the whole computer thing.
And the completely separate hobbies - live sound engineering (count it as a hobby rather than a job), fishing / diving / boating (all go together quite nicely - boating has been in the family for years), Skiing, and to a lesser extent 4wd-ing - but this has just become a means to an end to get us to fishing spots, and the more remote ski fields.

Reactions: Patriot

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Electronics / embedded systems (mainly around automation) - ok, its still fairly close to the whole computer thing.
And the completely separate hobbies - live sound engineering (count it as a hobby rather than a job), fishing / diving / boating (all go together quite nicely - boating has been in the family for years), Skiing, and to a lesser extent 4wd-ing - but this has just become a means to an end to get us to fishing spots, and the more remote ski fields.
Another moonlighting Audio Engineer. :) Nice.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Travel. And soccer. Recent trips include Botswana and South Africa safari (camera, no guns), Iguassu falls in Argentina, and Orca/Grizzly bear trip to Vancouver Island. Also world cup in Germany and Brazil.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
In vague order of monetary expenditure, not remotely finagled so they all start with C so don't you dare suggest it:
Cocktails
Computers
Cinema
Cooking
Cameratography

No-one else seems to have listed cocktails or even spirits in general so I can't launch into my usual four-page diatribe on how to make a martini or the relative merits of a whisky-vs-cognac-heavy vieux carré...

Reactions: Patriot

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
BEER when healthy again will be added to my list :) LOL!! I got a mini freezer, and some gear... gonna give it a shot myself eventually.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
No-one else seems to have listed cocktails or even spirits in general so I can't launch into my usual four-page diatribe on how to make a martini or the relative merits of a whisky-vs-cognac-heavy vieux carré...
I will be happy to take recipes off your hand. Not a beer person but a Whisky and coke is my typical base drink.

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
Been so busy with computers for the last 10 years I really haven't had many other hobbies - till recently. I've taken up shooting. Putting a bullet or 20 in old crap computer gear that sapped too much of my time is quite satisfying. A little more expensive to shoot hard drives than have them shredded but VERY satisfying!

Reactions: Kristian

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Movies (and tv series)
- Before corona I was at the movie theater almost every weekend, sometimes two or three times at the same weekend watching different movies. Got a "gold" membership, but not sure what other benefits than the two free tickets per 10 tickets I get...
- My uhd/blu ray/dvd collection. I collect a lot of pre nazi era german movies, hollywood golden era movies and other stuff that is not available on streaming services in Germany
(Pro tip: buy many movies from amazon with an IMDB rating of 7.5 or higher and you will get an invitation for reviewing unreleased stuff from amazon prime :D)

Cooking
- bbq with friends/family. It feels weird now after almost two years of scoial distancing and the other covid precautions
- "bastardizing" recipes from my mom
- baking pies and cakes (I like american style apple pies)

Sim racing
- Gran turismo 7 (and gt sport before that) on the ps5, assetto corsa competizione on pc
- Fanatec gt dd pro wheel + load cell pedals for the ps5 (mounted on a gt omega titan rig), thrustmaster t300rs + tlcm pedals on the pc (no rig, the pedals slide around ._.). I was thinking of getting an aluminum profile rig but can't justify it because I didn't use my other rig in almost two months...

Watching car racing
- 24hours of le mans (I love the lmp1, hypercar and group c class cars)
- formula one

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Movies (and tv series)
- Before corona I was at the movie theater almost every weekend, sometimes two or three times at the same weekend watching different movies. Got a "gold" membership, but not sure what other benefits than the two free tickets per 10 tickets I get...
- My uhd/blu ray/dvd collection. I collect a lot of pre nazi era german movies, hollywood golden era movies and other stuff that is not available on streaming services in Germany
(Pro tip: buy many movies from amazon with an IMDB rating of 7.5 or higher and you will get an invitation for reviewing unreleased stuff from amazon prime :D)

Cooking
- bbq with friends/family. It feels weird now after almost two years of scoial distancing and the other covid precautions
- "bastardizing" recipes from my mom
- baking pies and cakes (I like american style apple pies)

Sim racing
- Gran turismo 7 (and gt sport before that) on the ps5, assetto corsa competizione on pc
- Fanatec gt dd pro wheel + load cell pedals for the ps5 (mounted on a gt omega titan rig), thrustmaster t300rs + tlcm pedals on the pc (no rig, the pedals slide around ._.). I was thinking of getting an aluminum profile rig but can't justify it because I didn't use my other rig in almost two months...

Watching car racing
- 24hours of le mans (I love the lmp1, hypercar and group c class cars)
- formula one

I have to wonder how many movies you've been buying :eek: :eek: :eek: ha ha!
I like physical media too, and buy buy 5 - 25 movies\month from amazon and have yet to receive any invite :( am I doing it wrong, LOL
A wide range.... from imports, criterion, lesser known, 50+ year old, etc... apparently I'm not buying the right stuff :D :D