NVMe Storage for new Hyperconverged Lab-Servers (R740s): VMWare VSAN / MS Storage Spaces Direct / (Proxmox)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

friendlyguy

Apr 26, 2023
Hi there!
I'm new here, so first of all: Hello everybody.
I am currently planning a makeover of my current Lab Environment:
- 2x R720 with tiered storage spaces direct (WS2019 based): NVMe, SSD and Spinning Rust.
- Interconnected via 2x 40G Infiniband (using RoCE) , North-South via 2x 10G Ethernet
- Tiers look like:
1682518126062.png
Those Boxes performed pretty nicely over the last 5 years or so.
But: I was lucky and got my Hand on 3x R740s with each :
- 2x Xeon gold 6134 Prozessor 3,2 GHz, 8C
- 256GB of DDR4 ECC Reg Memory
- 4x 10g based on Intel X710
- S-ATA/ SAS Backplane with 8 Slots and attached to a PERC H740P RAID Controller
- 2 (3/4) PCIe Slots are free. (3 if i remove one of the Intel X710, 4 if i remove the Raid-Controller as well.)

My Plan for those is to build a new (Hyperconverged) Cluster to experiment with VMWare VSAN8 / Server 2022 based Storage Spaces Direct and maybe even with Proxmox.
Raid isn't exactly what I need for Hyper Converged Solutions, so:
Unless i exchange the Raid-Controller against a HBA (and use S-ATA SSDs instead of NVMe) those 8 Slots in the Front are not of much use.
Its still considered it an Option, less favorable though. (Dell HBA330 Mezzanine Cards are on ebay for ~ 50 Bucks and they would allow me to free an additonal x16 Slot)

I am currently looking at a cheap NVMe "HBA"s:
together with
4x Samsung PM983 1.92TB NVMe M.2 Drives. (They have PLP)
Cost Point is around 1400 Bucks for 2 HBAs and 8 PM983 Modules where i live.

My idea was to create this thread and collect ideas from the STH community about other possibilities to get around 8-10 TB usable NVMe Storage into those boxes.
Since its my Home-Lab: I don't neccessarily want to spend a fortune on them.
Its important to me that I can use them for either VSAN 8 with ESA or Storage Spaces Direct.

If i forgot to include important specs, please let me know.
I am looking forward to a nice discussion about different ideas and the pros and cons.

Kind regards, have a nice day!

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
This will work great with Proxmox, but also with Harvester HCI. I wouldn't touch vmware if not required since all that does is give a risky and potentially costly upgrade path.