New Micron 7400 PRO 7.68TB NVMe U.3 (7mm) Non-SED Enterprise SSD - $349

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
On the other hand, you can discuss this down the rabbit hole and it will always come down to each of the characters in this race for good 'cheap' stuff. Lets be honest, who comes first gets it first. If there were 1000x nvme's on offer and everyone of us would have gotten his share, there were no discussion. It will balance itself. People won't report. Others will. If there's less reported, the spread kiddies will also have less. Private 'areas' will be build instead. Less community, more fragmentation, more brains to play with ;)

... if someone is bragging to have bought 50 of these, well .... you know where this is leading.
I agree that we can discuss this forever, but it's a valid discussion as it does affect us in the community. :) But you are right on the balance. I rarely post deals I find any more. And I can't even find storage deals anymore after someone I shared some sources with spilled it on discourse in a scalper group who profits on this all day long now. :mad: It's the biggest turnoff when someone has built a business around someone else's goodwill. I know how to build a business and I could have done the same if that was my intent. So now what I know is shared with very limited people.

Community is generally about homogeneity--when you start having different groups in a community that are at opposite poles, the community will split or fraction in ways, which is not necessarily a bad thing if each of the remaining communities gets what they want. It's been the story behind big forum splits like flyertalk and others over the decades. Luckily, we're just discussing an aspect of the forum here, but there's already deals forums like slickdeals where a lot of the same deals like the serverparts drive deals are posted.

Bottom line is the 'reseller problem' will get solved by deals posters (like me) just not posting, which helps the community but hurts the forum in the end--how ironic.

Reactions: gb00s

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
As far as addressing resellers, I think there's a way to address that via STH not be used for commercial purposes as stated in the rules:
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-action-read-before-viewing-and-or-posting.4/
Id expect the people reselling from deals here to be hobbyists rather than commercial tbh
Its very rare to see deals posted that you cant get better pricing for as a commercial reseller, and the ones that are again rarely are generic enough to actualy be easy to resell.

Its not really gone be possible to actualy enforce it tho.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Id expect the people reselling from deals here to be hobbyists rather than commercial tbh
Its very rare to see deals posted that you cant get better pricing for as a commercial reseller, and the ones that are again rarely are generic enough to actualy be easy to resell.

Its not really gone be possible to actualy enforce it tho.
Generally, if someone is reselling, they're doing it like a commercial enterprise if it's not just once or twice because there's a lot of overheat (time especially) in reselling items from inventory management, billing, to the actual shipping itself. If someone has this down, then they're pretty much a reseller even if they're just doing a 'few sales a year'.

I agree that generally you cannot because wholesale prices are cheaper vs a retail 'great deal', but I have seen them, and I've also seen the resellers scoop in and buy them and put them on ebay without any shame while depriving the community of the deals.

Enforcement is always easy--you make an example out of a few people and that is where it starts. Because frankly, in this day and age if you do nothing, the takers are going to take until they have some real resistance.

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
For us we got 50 at the end of the day but we needed a pair of 24 bay systems and paid full price not the discounted.

It's more frustrating when you know people buy hundreds from eBay sale and resell for a lot more. We are legit using for our business and customers.

Our team actually had a call with micron yesterday as well.
Private to members only goes only so far as well as some of the resellers even have accounts on here and post counts only limit others who are wanting deals.

As this wasn't an email special we should see plenty more from the company for everyone.

Reactions: Sacrilego and Samir

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
For us we got 50 at the end of the day but we needed a pair of 24 bay systems and paid full price not the discounted.
... and I believe this is what pisses people off here if they miss the sale because an 'institutional' picked it up and front runs everyone. Of course Micron will sell not discounted that leaves less for retail discounted. I'm not sure if you bought based on the post, but .....

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

It's more frustrating when you know people buy hundreds from eBay sale and resell for a lot more. We are legit using for our business and customers.

Private to members only goes only so far as well as some of the resellers even have accounts on here and post counts only limit others who are wanting deals.

As this wasn't an email special we should see plenty more from the company for everyone.
This only applies to auto parts since that what I was sourcing at the time, but I could never find any parts cheaper than my actual wholesale suppliers, so anyone buying on ebay for resale honestly is 'doing it wrong'.

I hear you on the problem with resellers on here as I've seen the issue firsthand.

Glad to hear there will be more drives available for those that need them [for use]. :)

Sacrilego

Now with more RGB!
Jun 23, 2016

I don't really have much problem with this. In the end, one of us made a big purchased and used them, even if it was for business use.
It's when they get resold at a much higher price that irks me. First come first serve I say.

Reactions: Jaket and Samir

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Generally, if someone is reselling, they're doing it like a commercial enterprise if it's not just once or twice because there's a lot of overheat (time especially) in reselling items from inventory management, billing, to the actual shipping itself. If someone has this down, then they're pretty much a reseller even if they're just doing a 'few sales a year'.
Atleast here its not commercial before its at a scale that would be self sustainable as a business.
Below that is a hobby.

To be that size and do one off deals id say is rare.

I do hobby level reselling and ive found some sellers from the sections here but not really many deals.
I generaly dont do storage tho, as i dont keep stock of it to replace and its just too much risk with being responsible for 2years and refunding.
Those that do storage i can fully see snatching all.

The floor i use for lab/workshop would fetch about 1100$/mo rented out, reselling some servers a month covers that.

I know atleast 4 other active users on here reselling at same scale.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
idk why people are so mad about it: so what if other people bought it before you? thats just how things are
why bitch and moan about it?
For those of us that take the time to find these deals, it's profiteering off our work, which isn't right when our work was done to benefit the community. That's my problem with it.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I don't really have much problem with this. In the end, one of us made a big purchased and used them, even if it was for business use.
It's when they get resold at a much higher price that irks me. First come first serve I say.
I agree, for use is fair game as some of us are lucky enough to need 50, and the rest of us can just envy seeing such lovliness. :D

Reactions: Jaket and Sacrilego

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Atleast here its not commercial before its at a scale that would be self sustainable as a business.
Below that is a hobby.

To be that size and do one off deals id say is rare.

I do hobby level reselling and ive found some sellers from the sections here but not really many deals.
I generaly dont do storage tho, as i dont keep stock of it to replace and its just too much risk with being responsible for 2years and refunding.
Those that do storage i can fully see snatching all.

The floor i use for lab/workshop would fetch about 1100$/mo rented out, reselling some servers a month covers that.

I know atleast 4 other active users on here reselling at same scale.
To me, the line between 'hobby business' and 'commercial' is a blur (and the IRS and Paypal thinks so too).

No one works for free, even for yourself. Getting 50-500x of something, inspecting the shipment, inventorying them (so you have 50-500 of whatever), then photographing and posting, writing up the listing, then the correspondence, shipping estimates, packaging, shipping, follow up communications, payments and accounting--you see this is some work. And no one is going to do all this without it being 'worth it' aka a profit. And for a 'hobbiest' is has to be even more than someone full time because a hobbiest is juggling a job that pays as well as 'life' that both take a cut if they're doing a 'hobby' of reselling like this. So at the end of the day, a 'hobby' is a full out, flat out business in the same manner, just not the same scale as full blown commercial enterprises.

It all depends. I know I could have made enough reselling the CDW memory deal I posted to rent a warehouse for a month and still profit. Just a deal a month would be enough to make it 'worthwhile' if I wanted to do that sort of thing (and part of me wants to, but I don't know if I want to have a parts warehouse business again and all the things that come with that). Depending on where you are and rents, it doesn't take much anymore. UPS delivers ground same day in a 250mi radius--that's pretty good for <3 days for a good part of the continental US.

It depends on what you're dealing in. If it's unobtainium imports that's a whole different niche than used M.2 ssds. The best source for storage is straight from the companies as part of a 'recycler' service. Then your cost of the hardware is free, there's some labor involved hauling it, but that's just a day job, and then the time scrubbing everything. TheMadDutchDude on reddit does storage pretty well, although you can tell from the prices that he's not getting direct from a company, but from recyclers who want to just move a pallet with a small markup without having to mess with it.

Thank you for confirming what the numbers would need to look like for an operation. :) I was thinking it would be something like that, but wasn't completely sure.

So the big question is, have you bought a 'great deal' to use as either inventory for resale or as parts for resale? If so, why have you not just gotten a reseller's license to go direct to Ingram Micro, et al and buy cheaper?

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
So the big question is, have you bought a 'great deal' to use as either inventory for resale or as parts for resale? If so, why have you not just gotten a reseller's license to go direct to Ingram Micro, et al and buy cheaper?
Honestly cant think of one ive bought for the sake of reselling.
Ive bought alot of stuff that has been resold when replaced in lab would be closest.

To grab a one off deal for lab is great, for reselling its not.

I can consistently get a pallet of r730, r630, c240 m4, dl360 g9, dl380 g9 etc v4 hosts at 30-40€/ea for unspecced with sas/10g cards.
Im locked onto a few specific models so i can grab cheap part lots to spec those with.

If i resold a one off model and it has a issue id have to refund or need a part i dont have.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Honestly cant think of one ive bought for the sake of reselling.
Ive bought alot of stuff that has been resold when replaced in lab would be closest.

To grab a one off deal for lab is great, for reselling its not.

I can consistently get a pallet of r730, r630, c240 m4, dl360 g9, dl380 g9 etc v4 hosts at 30-40€/ea for unspecced with sas/10g cards.
Im locked onto a few specific models so i can grab cheap part lots to spec those with.

If i resold a one off model and it has a issue id have to refund or need a part i dont have.
Makes sense when you're dealing with servers like that. Logistics is the tough part on servers.

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
For those of us that take the time to find these deals, it's profiteering off our work, which isn't right when our work was done to benefit the community. That's my problem with it.
Perhaps a private channel on Slack/Discord/Telegram can be setup between members who are contributing?

timd

Dec 12, 2016
wouldn't it be easier to create two forums?

one could be called Great Deals or Buy Low

the other could be called For Sale or Sell High

if you haven't been disappointed about missing a deal, and you haven't been excited about scoring an incredible deal - you just haven't wasted enough money on buying computer parts :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Haha

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I think it's a double edged sword to limit access to great deals just because of "fear of missing out".

(Also I have a deja vu :D
I remember similar discussions from around 2015/16 about @zeynel . that guy bought a lot more than any homelabber and some users wanted to stop him from accessing the great deals section. Same dude also posted a bunch of threads with deals for others that he had found...)

Reactions: Sacrilego and Samir