New Micron 7400 PRO 7.68TB NVMe U.3 (7mm) Non-SED Enterprise SSD - $349

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jorge Perez

Dec 8, 2019
I think its only an issue if it's used as a scam.

Like the optane bundle with people trying to push them as a good deal, or the 480GB PNY SSD a few years back.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I think its only an issue if it's used as a scam.

Like the optane bundle with people trying to push them as a good deal, or the 480GB PNY SSD a few years back.
If someone is blinding buying something posted to great deals then they're not really looking for great deals imo. Today everything is caveat emptor.

ru me

Jun 2, 2018
I was able to buy two this time, but I have missed out on really good deals before. But I think the great deal section is a good resource the way it is now. Some people mentioned that they do not post deals anymore and I think that is maybe the least disruptive way to prevent perceived abuse. My feeling is that this forum is quite small and low volume, so it might just die once one introduces aggressive gatekeeping.

reasonsandreasons

May 16, 2022
I think Patrick is doing an outstanding job.
Yeah, I think this is basically an impossible problem to solve. The Great Deals section is naturally going to be mostly things that are under market price, and I don't think I've seen anything here that couldn't be found just as quickly with a few carefully-constructed saved searches. That's a recipe for truly great deals selling out quickly and members competing with dedicated resale operations. It's a shame, but my view is that if you live by the enterprise hardware sword (enjoy great equipment for pennies on the dollar) you also have to die by it (deal with the fact that people with deeper pockets than you also see the value there).

(In the interest of full disclosure, I happened to log on a few hours after this was posted and bought two drives. They'll go in my TrueNAS Core box and mostly store MakeMKV and Handbrake scratch files. They are overkill for that, but I suspect they are for most homelab applications.)

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
...and I don't think I've seen anything here that couldn't be found just as quickly with a few carefully-constructed saved searches.
Yep, that's exactly how I do it as many others here probably do too. What would be worse than this section is if we all posted our saved searches--then the resellers would have enough to really use those for inventory. :eek:

geonap

Mar 2, 2021
that's awesome, this model is discontinued, that's probably the reason it was discounted so much.

Reactions: Samir

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Yep, that's exactly how I do it as many others here probably do too. What would be worse than this section is if we all posted our saved searches--then the resellers would have enough to really use those for inventory. :eek:
Your main problem would be other labbers looking for a few pcs not really the resellers imo.

If im looking for something like 5pcs for lab getting it at 30% below normal price would be a decent deal.
As a reseller you can get most types of (atleast used) for a bigger discount than that all day.

Would really expect the volume of labbers buying it to exceed the few resellers that would overpay for list prices rather than approach sellers for volume.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
What about great a megathread where everyone can post deals, and discuss the deals. Subcribing for mail updates on that thread will be be difficult since at least 1 of 10 posts are discussions. If the deal is still alive after 24 hours, admins can move it and belonging comments into its own thread for further discussion.

• Wow