Minisforum MS-01 Review The 10GbE with PCIe Slot Mini PC

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

knewt

Feb 27, 2024
That being said, with a temporary nvme drive borrowed from elsewhere, the machine boots up fine with just the single 48GB. And the expansion card for the D800S is also working fine :). So now just need to get the actual nvme drive for it, and sort out replacement of the faulty ram stick.

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
That being said, with a temporary nvme drive borrowed from elsewhere, the machine boots up fine with just the single 48GB. And the expansion card for the D800S is also working fine :). So now just need to get the actual nvme drive for it, and sort out replacement of the faulty ram stick.
Where did you buy the memory for reference? I want to also purchase this 96GB Crucial Kit. May I ask how much you paid?

knewt

Feb 27, 2024
Where did you buy the memory for reference? I want to also purchase this 96GB Crucial Kit. May I ask how much you paid?
I bought it from LambdaTek, 2x 48GB modules rather than the kit, but they're out of stock now (of both options), and don't have an ETA for new stock.

Which is very frustrating, as they're not able to replace the DOA module for me. I can do a warranty replacement direct from Crucial, but I'll have to pay to post it to them if I do that, bleh.

Including shipping it cost me £317 total, whereas the typical price I see most places right now is £191 a module == £382.

ETA: If I cross my fingers that Royal Mail won't screw up, I can send with just £150 of loss/damage cover for only about £3, so not too bad I guess.

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
I bought it from LambdaTek, 2x 48GB modules rather than the kit, but they're out of stock now (of both options), and don't have an ETA for new stock.

Which is very frustrating, as they're not able to replace the DOA module for me. I can do a warranty replacement direct from Crucial, but I'll have to pay to post it to them if I do that, bleh.

Including shipping it cost me £317 total, whereas the typical price I see most places right now is £191 a module == £382.

ETA: If I cross my fingers that Royal Mail won't screw up, I can send with just £150 of loss/damage cover for only about £3, so not too bad I guess.
I bought the Crucial 96GB (2X48) kit at Amazon for $298. I was hoping it would come down in price - buy I need to get my MS-01 up and running.

I bought a 4TB Lexar w/ heat sink for $239. Having read this forum most would opt for U.2 SSD - but they are hard to find and all prices are through the roof.

Reactions: SBMe

knewt

Feb 27, 2024
I bought a 4TB Lexar w/ heat sink for $239
That's the NM790? I've looked at that, can get it at £237. Thing is, right now I can also get the SN850X for £256 (after cashback). That has no heatsink, but I could try out the one that comes with the MS-01.

Now, in practice I'm unlikely to notice the performance difference almost all the time, but with a relatively low price bump it might be worth getting the SN850X anyway!

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
That's the NM790? I've looked at that, can get it at £237. Thing is, right now I can also get the SN850X for £256 (after cashback). That has no heatsink, but I could try out the one that comes with the MS-01.

Now, in practice I'm unlikely to notice the performance difference almost all the time, but with a relatively low price bump it might be worth getting the SN850X anyway!
Yes SN850X over the Lexar any day. But I wanted the integrated HS. If I try to find SN850X with HS I only see 2 TB. Here on this side of the pond SN850X 4TB without HS is $319.

From a review I saw the NM790 performed pretty good so I jumped.

Newegg (USA) has SN850X 2 TB for $139 - seems like a great deal - thinking about buying these for a future NAS cache.

Oh and one thing I liked about NM790 with HS over SN850X (keep in ming the 4TB doesn't seem have a HS) is the 790 is single sides. SN850X is double sided. From Patrick's review of the MS-01 he stated something about space issues with the SSD1 slot. So I want to be cautious.

Reactions: SBMe

SBMe

Nov 26, 2023
Yeah the Lexar bigger 4TB NM790 is a very good NVMe drive. Tech Notice on YT did a fairly good review back in Jan 11, 2004 on it. However, a bit suspicious that he does not review the WD 4TB SN850X ( which I have, got great deal at Micro Center ). Your right having all the chips on one side can make a very, very big difference for some or most cases if you think about your motherboard and airflow. Does it come with a heatsink already, can you put those thermal pads on both sides in a laptop or the MS-01? I purchased a pack from Amazon that had four different sizes that worked very well with my old 8th Gen laptop, so glad I bought that.

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
Yeah the Lexar bigger 4TB NM790 is a very good NVMe drive. Tech Notice on YT did a fairly good review back in Jan 11, 2004 on it. However, a bit suspicious that he does not review the WD 4TB SN850X ( which I have, got great deal at Micro Center ). Your right having all the chips on one side can make a very, very big difference for some or most cases if you think about your motherboard and airflow. Does it come with a heatsink already, can you put those thermal pads on both sides in a laptop or the MS-01? I purchased a pack from Amazon that had four different sizes that worked very well with my old 8th Gen laptop, so glad I bought that.
The Samsung 980 and 990 are one-sided as well. Though they cost a bit more. I have bought the SN850X in the past. It's a fast chip. I haven't been able to find a speed/thermal comparison between the 790 and 850 - and I'm sure the 850 beats the 790 by a bit. I read the same review you referenced. Within that comparison the 790 performed well - so I made the leap. I saved maybe $100 over WD or even more over Samsung.

I initially bought 2TB WDs when I made my MS-01 purchase - and canceled when I saw the Patrick review.

Fwiler

Sep 5, 2017
It is NOT the CPU itself doing the bifurcation, its the motherboard!

But you think you know everything
And if you didn't have reading comprehension problems, you would notice I never said it was the CPU. How hard is it for you?
I understand you don't like being corrected when you are wrong, but that's ok. Please try some reading comprehension, and please look into what Intel themselves have said. Not me. I'm just relaying their information. If you want to dispute it, take it up with Intel. I'm sure you know more than they do. Just saying nothing below xeon e does bifurcation is just plain wrong. You also said no x4x4, but there is. So just stop.

Last edited:

leviackerman91

May 16, 2024
Hi guys!

I received my ms-01 today and 2 of the 3 heatsink screws (the ones to access to the ssd slot) were too tight, so they stripped a bit.

Can you tell me what screws these are, so I can buy a replacement pair?

Last edited: