Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
Redid the thermal paste on my x3 MS-01 yesterday, boost clocks are now hitting 5.1ghz and havent heard the fan once.
The concrete paste they applied on the cpu in the factory is very bad, dry, badly applied to die.
Mail sent to minisforum.eu requesting that they refund my thermal paste :)
@the-last-englishman

Are you going to create a tutorial on how you disassembled and applied new thermal paste? I would be interested in this being shared with group. Thanks.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Guys, if you need a tutorial to learn how to spread thermal paste then I really dont think you should attempt it !!!
The factory paste is bad enough that even a terrible spreading of thermal paste would be an improvement.

Regardless, this comment has useful info about the position of the screws under the insulation which would be better in a guide than hidden deep in this thread.

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
Guys, if you need a tutorial to learn how to spread thermal paste then I really dont think you should attempt it !!!
I've spread thermal paste before. I don't believe this was what I was asking from you. I'm not one to pull apart a $700 computer on a whim - especially brand new. I was hoping maybe you had tips - lessons learned during your endeavor. I had a Macbook Pro that also had terrible thermals - eventually I saw a video online with someone showing how to do this easily. It was helpful for me (and I'm sure many other noobs) that this person posted the video.

ibis69

Mar 14, 2024
Hey I just purchased 4TB SN850X on sale at Amazon hoping to use this in the MS-01. Will this be an issue without a heatsink? More worried about the underside on SSD and the MS-01 mainboard? I didn't get the concern with the rubber bands and the heatsink Patrick spoke of in the video review. I'm hoping the WD_BLACK will fit. I think the WD_BLACK 4Tb is a double sided SSD.
Hi, according to the FAQ for MS-01 on their website, dual-sided ssd is supported

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
@ibis69

I canceled my order. I figured I jumped the gun - I have no ship date for my MS-01 and Ugreen NAS. Hopefully prices come down on ssds. If you watch the review - Patrick does say something about the space between main board and SSD in slot 1. I'll wait for confirmation - and make a decision at that time.

Also - I'm now intrigued by the NVME/U.2 adaptor and U.2 SSD HDs.

What is the main benefit of U.2 storage in servers - is it purely the opportunity to get larger capacity (obviously at an exorbitant cost). Someone on this forum stated U.2 was better for Promox/VMs - why? The only thing I can find on the internet is concerns with SSD life span for the number of times you write to storage for VMs. I still don't understand the concern - aren't U.2 also SSD?

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
Anybody can comment this card that happens to come with low-profile bracket will fit into MS-01?

This card supports U.2 NVME support, will be perfect to for two high endurance U.2 in RAID.

EDIT: This is picture of exact model from the same vendor, with same dimension as above card.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phibs

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
@ibis69

What is the main benefit of U.2 storage in servers - is it purely the opportunity to get larger capacity (obviously at an exorbitant cost). Someone on this forum stated U.2 was better for Promox/VMs - why? The only thing I can find on the internet is concerns with SSD life span for the number of times you write to storage for VMs. I still don't understand the concern - aren't U.2 also SSD?
U.2 is SSD but with much advanced wear leveling mechanism, giving them PB of TBW. Otherwise typical 800TB or 2400TB depending on the size is more than enough for most users. Plus, Gen 3 8TB U.2 is much cheaper than 8TB M.2 NVME or 2.5" SATA for that matter.

For typical users, not using ZFS on Proxmox, U.2 is a don't care. But I would strongly advice against using consumer-grade NVME with ZFS on Proxmox. With default configuration, it will wear on within a year.

Reactions: Phibs

webmaster

Jan 26, 2024
For typical users, not using ZFS on Proxmox, U.2 is a don't care. But I would strongly advice against using consumer-grade NVME with ZFS on Proxmox. With default configuration, it will wear on within a year.
I am using an old 960Pro as only disk in a Proxmox server with 10+ VMs, with a lot of logging (Prometheus and Loki running on it among others, collecting logs of all systems). After years of use the wear level is at 14%.

For example the 1TB 990 Pro has a 5-year warranty, up to 600TBW. If you write 330GB on it every day it will take 5 years to reach the 600TBW, after which the drive likely still works.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
I am using an old 960Pro as only disk in a Proxmox server with 10+ VMs, with a lot of logging (Prometheus and Loki running on it among others, collecting logs of all systems). After years of use the wear level is at 14%.

For example the 1TB 990 Pro has a 5-year warranty, up to 600TBW. If you write 330GB on it every day it will take 5 years to reach the 600TBW, after which the drive likely still works.
And are you using ZFS or EXT? With Proxmox default ZFS vm.swappiness = 60, it can easily write excess of 1TB/day.

vm.swappiness = 0The kernel will swap only to avoid an out of memory condition
vm.swappiness = 1Minimum amount of swapping without disabling it entirely.
vm.swappiness = 10This value is sometimes recommended to improve performance when sufficient memory exists in a system.
vm.swappiness = 60The default value.
vm.swappiness = 100The kernel will swap aggressively.

Phibs

Mar 14, 2018
USA
Completly agee with you. The specs are good but thermal design is awful. I would have made the case 3 or 4 cm thicker to have a much better airflow.
The CPU fan is also only 5V…. Super lame. Anyone upgraded theirs or is it pointless ?

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
I use this in my 1U dell: https://a.co/d/blHtJ5x
Any chance you willing to try this card on MS01? :p:cool:

I'm super tempted to order but my first order measurements of MS01 suggests what while there is definitely room for 80mm wide card, seating the card into the slot is going to be really challenging without taking the metal frame out. I'm happy to be proven wrong. :D

Phibs

Mar 14, 2018
USA
Any chance you willing to try this card on MS01? :p:cool:

I'm super tempted to order but my first order measurements of MS01 suggests what while there is definitely room for 80mm wide card, seating the card into the slot is going to be really challenging without taking the metal frame out. I'm happy to be proven wrong. :D
Haha I don’t have a spare to try! My concern would be cooling as U2 drives run warm :(

Reactions: GreenAvacado

jdpdata

Jan 31, 2024
Anyone in USA pre-order before or on Jan 30th got their shipment? Minisforum is telling me my Jan 30th pre-order now won't ship until end of April. WTF!! They told me mid or late March. Now push to late April. What kind of scam is this? I paid over $2200 for 3X 12900H kits with nothing to show and waiting for 3+ months is not acceptable. Meanwhile people are getting 2 days shipping on Amazon. This is not the way to treat your customer Minisforum! You lost my business and I will be requesting cancellation and full refund. @JaxJiang

spuwho

Jan 10, 2024
Pretty crappy of them to treat us pre-order like this. I've always pre-order new Galaxy phones each year from Samsung. They never charge my credit card before the order actually shipped. I pre-ordered 3X units so that's a huge upfront cash laid out for nothing to show for a couple of months!

But I don't mind waiting if that means we will get latest hardware revisions that fixed some of these issues I'm reading about with first shipment units
I don't think Minis Forum is as well capitalized as Samsung in this case. Samsung can absorb the cost, I am sure Minis Forum can't.