Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
Some have said installing drives 2 and 3 will slow all the drives down to 2x. I am confused about this. it appears drive 1 is 4x drive 2 is 3x and drive 3 is 2x??? What is your experience?
This doesnt huppent to myne. I have a 990 Pro 2TB in the X4 slot and an Optane P4801x in the X2 slot and the 990Pro is going full speed.

pyb0

Mar 2, 2024
In my setup, I have 4 SSDs:

Code:
# lspci | grep -i Non-Volatile
01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Kingston Technology Company, Inc. KC3000/FURY Renegade NVMe SSD E18 (rev 01)
02:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Sandisk Corp WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD (rev 01)
59:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: KIOXIA Corporation Device 002a (rev 01)
5a:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: KIOXIA Corporation Device 002a (rev 01)

# lspci -vv -s 01:00.0 | grep -w LnkSta
                LnkSta: Speed 16GT/s, Width x4
# lspci -vv -s 02:00.0 | grep -w LnkSta
                LnkSta: Speed 16GT/s, Width x4
# lspci -vv -s 59:00.0 | grep -w LnkSta
                LnkSta: Speed 8GT/s (downgraded), Width x4
# lspci -vv -s 5a:00.0 | grep -w LnkSta
                LnkSta: Speed 8GT/s (downgraded), Width x2 (downgraded)

Reactions: Phibs

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
Ah i think i understand what he means... if you put more than 2 nvme and you do raid the disks the transfer speed will be the speed of the slowest one, not like us that we have the disks each one alone.

Reactions: Nonetoo

LDighera

Feb 4, 2024
Santa Barbara, CA
So for those of you removing the wifi card and not replacing it with anything. I just removed mine from the pcie slot and rested it on the motherboard rather than removing the tape and unplugging the antenna connectors. Those antenna connectors are so hard to plug back in sometimes.
Yaeh. I struggle with thos U-fl connectors too. I purchased two I-PEX 90435-001 MHF-4 CONNECTOR PUSH & PULL TOOL

CH.illig

Mar 18, 2024
i have read many times now that the MS01 with the 12900H (not official supported) runs with 96GB
can someone tell me with pack is installed and runs good or not?

welcometors

Jan 16, 2024
i have read many times now that the MS01 with the 12900H (not official supported) runs with 96GB
can someone tell me with pack is installed and runs good or not?
As I mentioned earlier, I have it running from last month without any issue.
I have the 12900h model and it's working perfectly with Mushkin Redline 96GB (2x48GB) DDR5 Laptop 5200 CL40. I tested with proxmox memtest86+ for 8 passes.

tuxx

Feb 9, 2024
Some have said installing drives 2 and 3 will slow all the drives down to 2x. I am confused about this. it appears drive 1 is 4x drive 2 is 3x and drive 3 is 2x??? What is your experience?
I'm running 2x 4tb ssds in a ZFS mirror on the PCIE 4x and 2x slot. In my case since it is a zfs mirror, speed will be based in the 2x slot.
If you run it separately, you get the full speed.

pyb0

Mar 2, 2024
Ah i think i understand what he means... if you put more than 2 nvme and you do raid the disks the transfer speed will be the speed of the slowest one, not like us that we have the disks each one alone.
that's what I've experienced

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
To me there wasnt a scenario that i would had ZFS or Raid inside this tiny box. For this reason you get an HBA and an external enclosure and you are faster, safer and with less heat.
The reasons i bought personally this machine was the intel SFP+ Slots and the Power Usage of this little thing with a good CPU. Extra bonus was the 96GB of RAM that ok it would had been better if it was ECC but we cannot have it all at once, can we?

pyb0

Mar 2, 2024
Mine having serious issues with regular CPU lockups under Proxmox 8.1.4 and kernel 6.5.13-1 ... having latest microcode installed 0x411c doesn't change anything. :confused:
unless I disable E-cores
Someone having similar issues?

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
Mine having serious issues with regular CPU lockups under Proxmox 8.1.4 and kernel 6.5.13-1 ... having latest microcode installed 0x411c doesn't change anything. :confused:
unless I disable E-cores
Someone having similar issues?
Do you set to the VM's which cores to use or you have it free?

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
Working as expected following vGPU (SR-IOV) with Intel 12th Gen iGPU [Updated Nov 2023]
Just ensure to have sysfsutils installed on the host.
So I've been using SR-IOV iGPU on both Windows and LinuxMint VM -- Windows VM video rendering is flawless but LinuxMint or Ubuntu for that matter struggles a bit. I wonder if this could be sysfsutils? What happens if you don't use it?

For the record, I do have i915 SR-IOV module running on LinuxMint's host and the host is able to recognize the iGPU.

spuwho

Jan 10, 2024
also pre-ordered one in january that I have not heard anything about. when they popped up on amazon i ordered 2 more and they showed up next day. basically i wont be ordering direct from minisforum ever again if i can avoid it
Of my orders thus far, I am getting a projected shipping of late March on the direct from MinisForum path.

Why they chose to not fulfill local orders and dump the pre-Chinese New Year production run into Amazon isn't clear, probably there wasn't going to be anyone staffed in fulfillment during the holiday and let Amazon do it for them through their virtual warehouse.

Since they charge the card immediately on early-bird and pre-orders before actual fulfillment occurs, I would imagine they are using these orders as part of financing their production run with their fab/assembly partners.

The MS-01 and BD/AR series ITX boards are not standard fare for them like their "one size fits many" mini-PC format.

Reactions: jdpdata