Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

OJO360

Jan 30, 2024
Just replaced the thermal paste on my MS-01. I'll monitor during the next days but first data seems great!
View attachment 35111
Core package is stable at 40°C with the same load/environment as before.

Green is CPU package, yellow is NVME (990 Pro), red is ambient temperature.
I used ARCTIC MX-6.

What are you using to graph this?

leafkicker

Feb 23, 2024
I'm currently using that adapter as a dedicated OOBM port.

I'm a little confused by what your experiencing but I'm curious so that I know it's something to avoid in the future. Do you mean you cannot run a DHCP server that is serving IP addresses out of that port? If so what happens when you do so?
Correct the only work around is to disable amt

NocelCrown

Mar 12, 2024
Just ordered a MS-01, now I get to play the waiting game. I know a few people mentioned 3D printing rack mounts for it, but has anyone heard of Winther3D? They use injection molding for at least the front panel, and it looks a lot nicer than having a 3D printed front.
I emailed them about making a custom mount for the MS-01, but they said they'd need one in hand in order to make sure about fitment. I would but they're located in Spain and I'm in the States.
Anyone else willing to take the bullet?

Reactions: Phibs

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
Not the fastest GPU but ETA prime just tested this.

I wonder... if in esxi when i passthrough the 12900h iGpu to a windows VM i get the error 43.. if i but this one, and everywhere where i search they all say that the Intel driver is the problem, if i buy this one, i wont have the same error 43? after all the driver will be the same right?
I allready bought a Radeon 6400 and i get error 43 also in there.. and so far the only GPU i can successfully passthrough to windows is an NVIDIA 730 but the heatsink is big so i have the machine without the case....

What do you think?

Maunose

Feb 29, 2024
Anyone else running Proxmox 8.1.4 with Intel Microcode updated and getting random reboots?
Funny that it's rebooting while CPU usage is at 1~3%... a few days ago it rebooted twice on a single day. Would disabling HT help?

Reactions: Phibs

nicoska

Feb 8, 2023
Anyone else running Proxmox 8.1.4 with Intel Microcode updated and getting random reboots?
Funny that it's rebooting while CPU usage is at 1~3%... a few days ago it rebooted twice on a single day. Would disabling HT help?
Mmm... please try as suggested above by Chris. I hope it's not like mine (faulty CPU).

Reactions: Maunose

Maunose

Feb 29, 2024
Can you try disabling the e-cores if it huppens again?
If it happens again I'll try disabling HT first, I believe the performance hit will be lower than disabling E-Cores on the 13900H. If it doesn't help, then I'll try disabling E-Cores. Thanks for the tip

Mmm... please try as suggested above by Chris. I hope it's not like mine (faulty CPU).
Were you able to RMA it? How did you test yours to conclude it was a faulty CPU?

nicoska

Feb 8, 2023
Were you able to RMA it? How did you test yours to conclude it was a faulty CPU?
I was within the window to ship it back to Amazon.
I sent error log file to Minisforum support in their Discord channel and they told me it was a faulty CPU.

Volex

Mar 30, 2017
Can anyone see any flaws with just adding a sata pcie card to this and running some sata cables out of the case? I have considered DAS via sff8088 or Thunderbolt however the sff card will kick out a lot of heat in the small case and increase power usage vs a sata card, TB would be a nice solution but looking at something like OWC Flex 1U4 or OWC ThunderBay 4 it'll likely be £550+ vs <£100 via a sata card and pico psu for the hdds.

Basically looking to add 4x 18TB drives and keeping power usage as low as reasonable, don't mind spending a bit but not sure it's worth £500ish for a pretty enclosure.

Wonder if there's anything I've missed or if anyone's done similar?

nicoska

Feb 8, 2023
Can anyone see any flaws with just adding a sata pcie card to this and running some sata cables out of the case? I have considered DAS via sff8088 or Thunderbolt however the sff card will kick out a lot of heat in the small case and increase power usage vs a sata card, TB would be a nice solution but looking at something like OWC Flex 1U4 or OWC ThunderBay 4 it'll likely be £550+ vs <£100 via a sata card and pico psu for the hdds.

Basically looking to add 4x 18TB drives and keeping power usage as low as reasonable, don't mind spending a bit but not sure it's worth £500ish for a pretty enclosure.

you will also need some external power supply to use 3.5 drives

caplam

Dec 12, 2018

You can put a hba with proper ventilation

Reactions: FingerBlaster

Volex

Mar 30, 2017
you will also need some external power supply to use 3.5 drives
Yep I was thinking of using a pico psu and splitting off some sata connectors for this, thanks.

You can put a hba with proper ventilation
I will consider that thanks, no problem adding some cooling but I don't think there is much advantage adding the HBA apart from a neater solution, I think I'd prefer the power/cost saving though. I do have a Netstor NS370S I could use but that uses 20w without drives and has noisier fans than I'd like running in my home office.

James001

Mar 13, 2024
Not sure if it's been mentioned or not but if you're building a router with OPNSense, the i-226-LM port doesn't accept the dhcp. Use it for WAN and assign the i-226 V for the LAN port.

r1senfa17h

Mar 1, 2024
Anyone else seeing their memory halved when using a PCIe 3.0 x8 card? I've got 96GB that gets cut to 48GB when I put in my LSI 9300-8E HBA. I also have 2 nvme SSDs installed in the 1st and 2nd slots that may be affecting how many PCIe lanes are available.

Update: Definitely not related to having the 2 M.2 SSDs - I removed them and still have half the memory gone. Removing the PCIe card resolves the problem. Wondering if I need to tape some of the PCIe contacts to reduce it to PCIe 3.0 x4.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiKenun